• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is a steal. Sucks we have to wait till September to even mail the package and then see if they draw your name. If not, wait till the next year. I will be getting one because of the history of these pieces and the price is very good because for 1k you are getting one that most likely would be over 2k in the private market and these have actualy been In government hands since they were new.
    I cant wait to start getting some military M9's in private hands

I'm with you on this all the way. The bellyaching about these 1911's is ridiculous.

Also, I would love to have a clapped-out, battle-worn M9, one that has traveled the world, passed through the hands of countless service-members.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with you on this all the way. The bellyaching about these 1911's is ridiculous.

Also, I would love to have a clapped-out, battle-worn M9, one that has traveled the world, passed through the hands of countless service-members.

Meh. Many of us dont see the value. You do. More power to ya.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Everyone's opinions are well founded given the information we have. I am hoping to not see rattle trap arsenal creations and would like a solid "battle worn" 1911. The initial batch should sell strongly given the lead up and demand. Pricing (rather you think it high, low or fair) is about where most seemed to expect it to go. The unknown is if this will be a steady stream or if the sale blocks will be spread way out.

The auctions will interesting to see how many are listed at a time.

It is the CMPs responsibility to get fair market value and its looks like they will.

The process is sure a PIA but it is what it is...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope to get my application in and get a good one. Talk of pitting on the Service grades bother me but I assume it is going to be very minor.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Minor pitting!
    I never witnessed one that did not have heavy pitting the pistols were in service from 1911 till about 1994 or so that means getting rained on dropped in the mud fired at least several hundred times a year 200 rounds a year for let’s say 70 years that’s about 14,000 rounds. Some have seen combat in four major wars that has to leave a mark on them and raise the round count.
    When they get refurbed the Amorers were not soft and caring often it looks like that the pins were put back in with a sledgehammer then they put a date stamp into the frame some have dates from before WW2 though the 40’s 50’s 60’s 70’s 80’s till they had no more room to stamp!
    The surplus 1911’s found on the open market are ones who escaped many years of hard use the ones who stayed on the payroll got beat on till the end. They are some true parts mixmasters I am sure soon pictures will surface of the “jewels” and they will sell as fast as CMP can get them.

I do bet that some that were hidden in some Depot are like new and never issued !

Great conversation starters and nice to think about where that have been and what they have done if that’s you goal.
    As far as shooting one ?

You guys know they rattled when you carried them ?

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Maybe this is where the disconnect is. Honestly, the idea of purchasing one of these as a budget shooter never occurred to me. If you want to buy a reasonably-priced, GI configuration 1911 to sling lead, RAI is the ticket.

It does tickle me that guys will carry on about how ridiculous the price is, then get their panties in a bunch when you tell them that plenty of people are willing to pay it. They respond with "to each their own", or some such thing. Seems like this is precisely the point.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Maybe this is where the disconnect is. Honestly, the idea of purchasing one of these as a budget shooter never occurred to me. If you want to buy a reasonably-priced, GI configuration 1911 to sling lead, RAI is the ticket.

It does tickle me that guys will carry on about how ridiculous the price is, then get their panties in a bunch when you tell them that plenty of people are willing to pay it. They respond with "to each their own", or some such thing. Seems like this is precisely the point.

Yeah, nobody who buys a gun for its value as a shooter is going to understand paying $850-$1050 for a rusted, pitted, worn out arsenal rework POS with mismatched parts and cracked grips which may not even be safe to fire. People who buy these are looking for a historical piece. Not my thing, but I do understand it.

I do think that people are going to be surprised at how bad most of these are. Ain't nobody gonna open their box on a non-auction gun and find an unissued Singer piece that slipped through the cracks.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    which may not even be safe to fire. .
    Do you honestly think the CMP is going to sell guns that are not safe to shoot?
    They are going to go through them just like they do the Garands. Mix masters, sure. The Garands are all mix masters. pitted, sure. a lot of the Garands are pitted below wood line.
    Are Garands from CMP unsafe? Nope. I bought a Field Grade Garand a few years ago, it looks rough, shoots like a dream, MW and TE are both less that 1

Saying that, I'd love to have one of these

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They are going to go through them just like they do the Garands. Mix masters, sure. The Garands are all mix masters. pitted, sure. a lot of the Garands are pitted below wood line.
    Are Garands from CMP unsafe? Nope. I bought a Field Grade Garand a few years ago, it looks rough, shoots like a dream, MW and TE are both less that 1

I don't know. According to their website, the lowest grade says they will need work before they're in issuable condition. I'm not sure exactly what that means but it sounds like it means that grade is not in firable condition when you get them. It may not mean they're unsafe but it does seem like a grey area.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....the lowest grade literally says they require work to be in issuable condition. And as has been stated, they were clapped out rattle traps when issued.....so even worse than that.

These are not a good buy if you’re looking for a shooter. These are collectibles.

Anything remotely good will go to auction. Don’t expect anything good from these if you’re looking for a shooter.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Got my stack of paperwork and copies of all my proof of everything.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sometime after 5 October we'll be comparing random numbers.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Glad I live in the United States of America ;)

1911s from CMP will be allowed in California because they meet the California definition of Curio and Relic. They will ship to 01, or 02, or 07 FFLs in California. At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow the sale of the 1911/1911A1 pistol.

1911 Information - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Which grade level are you guys going for? Why?

I will likely put in for field grade. I'd like it to be functional upon delivery.

Does going for the highest grade ensure you could have a shot at grades below it if those go first?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the requirement to be affiliated with a CMP affiliated club. I've shot at the Bedford Contingent which is listed, but they don't really have a membership per se.

Top Bottom