• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    It was noted today on the South Store thread of the CMP Forum...

"PHILIPPINE rifles are in the store. Confirmed this morning that they were present. On the back of the blue hang tag there is a “Y” for York Building which is where they are serviced....."

So, I would assume that they will be trickling into the mail ordered stock as well.

ETA:

A second observation on the PI Returns...

"There were Philippine WRA rifles in all three grades this morning. I didn’t check them all but they all looked to be nicer than the Turkish rifles and several were really nice with beautiful finishes. I checked the tag on a WRA SG with original barrel I purchased yesterday and it was a Philippine return. Beautiful finish. Haven’t seen any USGI return stocks that I can confirm but rumor is that there is a lot of nice wood in returns...."

Last edited:

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    might be hard to determine which rifles came from the Philippines or elsewhere. CMP grades them and sells them. Good thing is they all came from the USA originally.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Damnit, that's just what I need to hear "WRA's in the South Store" I just got my IHC and need a WRA to have the complete set. I've got 4 days off this weekend. . . . . . .

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Any chance we can get some pics to drool over?

Here is my "Garand Slam", Top to Bottom October of '44 Springfield Armory, April of 1945 Winchester Repeating Arms, 1954 International Harvester Corporation & 1955 Harrington & Richards Arms.

M1ManufacturerGrandSlam_zpsehpmho3l.jpg

1942 Springfield Armory M1 converted to M1D configuration by Tooele Army Depot in the 1960s.
    M1D-SA-1942-1952Side_zps7lgbmsmt.jpg

Another shot of the '55 HRA with Semi Fancy Walnut Stock from Dean's Gun Restorations.
    CMPHRA1955DGRStock-00RightSide_zpssosej2ze.jpg

Although all my M1s are CMP, this is my only North Store purchase. I heard they had gotten a shipment of WRA M1Ds. So, I drove to Port Clinton on a Friday night and was first in line at the North Store when it opened on Saturday morning. I snagged this beauty a 6 digit Winchester receiver that dated to August of 1941, one of the first 16,000 of a half million rifles delivered by Winchester.
    9rh5ZDU.jpg

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Here is my "Garand Slam", Top to Bottom October of '44 Springfield Armory, April of 1945 Winchester Repeating Arms, 1954 International Harvester Corporation & 1955 Harrington & Richards Arms.

View attachment 68556

1942 Springfield Armory M1 converted to M1D configuration by Tooele Army Depot in the 1960s.
    View attachment 68557

Another shot of the '55 HRA with Semi Fancy Walnut Stock from Dean's Gun Restorations.
    View attachment 68558

Although all my M1s are CMP, this is my only North Store purchase. I heard they had gotten a shipment of WRA M1Ds. So, I drove to Port Clinton on a Friday night and was first in line at the North Store when it opened on Saturday morning. I snagged this beauty a 6 digit Winchester receiver that dated to August of 1941, one of the first 16,000 of a half million rifles delivered by Winchester.
    9rh5ZDU.jpg

:drool:

Love the tiger stripe on the IHC!!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    It sounds like the PI Garands are in full rotation. At least they are appearing regularly in the South Store inventory. One of the CMP Forum's regulars visits and posts inventory. Being that it is a 7.5 hour drive to the South Store, I live vicariously through Tom's reports. Here is today's store opening report:

South Store Report 08/23/2018
    There were 7 customers at opening and the racks were full. Lots of “Y” rifles and about 10 FG’s with nice USGI wood, Philippino returns I believe.

Armors today are Benita and Austin.

CMP Specials, zero

SA 6 million with CMP stocks, 2

IHC SG 10, FG 37.

WRA Zero

HRA Zero

SA FG 10. Two gems, 345xxxx with original barrel and nice USGI and another with a nice SA GAW stock, beautiful cartouche. Great to see good wood again.

SA Correct grade 1

M1C SA FG, 2

M1D WRA RG, 2

M1 Drill, 3, ROUGH!!

Few cotton slings, full small box en blocs.

Bayonets available by asking store staff.

iunderpressure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2014
    Corydon
    This forum is along the lines of the information that I have been looking for.

Do you all have any pointers. I have never bought a gun from CMP. I have some questions.

Is the north or south store generally better to make a trip to buy, or is it a toss-up?

What's up with the "Specials" that are 308? Are any of these historical, or is it something new, they just threw together?

If I want to use it in matches, what grade or choices should I look for in a M1?

Thank you for the information.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

Do you all have any pointers. I have never bought a gun from CMP. I have some questions.

Is the north or south store generally better to make a trip to buy, or is it a toss-up?

What's up with the "Specials" that are 308? Are any of these historical, or is it something new, they just threw together?

If I want to use it in matches, what grade or choices should I look for in a M1?

I have bought from the CMP North.FWIW, When I bought(rifles and ammo). If you are a current or retired member of the military (Active, Reserve, National Guard). Or a current or retired LEO and have ID to prove the afore mentioned. Being in or having been in one of these organizations. Negated the requirement to belong to a club and being required to qualify in a NRA approved match before purchase was authorized.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have bought from the CMP North.FWIW, When I bought(rifles and ammo). If you are a current or retired member of the military (Active, Reserve, National Guard). Or a current or retired LEO and have ID to prove the afore mentioned. Being in or having been in one of these organizations. Negated the requirement to belong to a club and being required to qualify in a NRA approved match before purchase was authorized.

For $25 a year the Garand collectors covers the club, plus you get quarterly magazines.
    And your LTCH covers the shooting part

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central

I started purchasing from the CMP several years after they replaced the Army DCM. I believed that I was not eligible because I purchased my "once in a lifetime" M1 Garand. I later found under the CMP one rifle a year was the limit. Then you could purchase two a year if you participated in a CMP Garand Match. The limited was raised several times in the next few years to eight a year. I purchased the limit each year with $300 to $400 rifles. By the time the limit was eight I had enough Garands as well as other former military rifles and surplus ammunition. CMP sold Remington 513 and Mossberg 44US 22LR for around $100. Remington 40X, H&R M12, Kimber Model 82 Government and Winchester Model 52s in 22LR were available at under market price.

I haven't purchased Garands for a few years but The South store is where all the inventory is stored. A few years ago I was in the area so I stopped at the South store to look around. I realy did not expect to purchase anything unless I found something realy special. Orest Michaels (Chief Operating Officer until 2014) stepped into the showroom and asked if I was looking for any thing specific. I told him I was looking for a bargain but I didn"t see anything I had to have. I told him I would like an early Winchester. He returned with a rebuilt May 1941 Winchester rack grade with the TE/ME of 4/3 (1-51 Springfield barrel). Call the stores about inventory first.

The Specials In 308 or 30-06 are rebuilt with new commercial barrels and stocks. The 308 is popular because surplus 30-06 is drying up and commercial 30-06 is more expensive than commercial or surplus 308. Some as issued matches require the use of 30-06.

If shooting matches a Special would be best with the new barrel. A service grade with low TE/ME would be a good choice too. The accuracy of most M1 Garands is usually larger than 2" at 100 Yards.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For $25 a year the Garand collectors covers the club, plus you get quarterly magazines.
    And your LTCH covers the shooting part

And if you want to keep the membership closer to home, Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Assn also covers that checkbox.

iunderpressure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2014
    Corydon
    Thanks guys. Good information.

Thanks Jinks for great information.

I'm a life member of DAV. I was military and an Indiana State Trooper, so I have all the requirements wrapped up. I'm just figuring out the details.

I'm into history, so I like the idea of the Service Grade rifles. I also feel I'm late to the game and most of the really good rifles are gone. I'm a .308 fan, but it's a Garand. I feel it needs to be 30-06. After the first rifle, I could get a .308.

I see they currently have some IHCs for sale which is neat because they came from the International factory in Evansville, IN.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. Good information.

Thanks Jinks for great information.

I'm a life member of DAV. I was military and an Indiana State Trooper, so I have all the requirements wrapped up. I'm just figuring out the details.

I'm into history, so I like the idea of the Service Grade rifles. I also feel I'm late to the game and most of the really good rifles are gone. I'm a .308 fan, but it's a Garand. I feel it needs to be 30-06. After the first rifle, I could get a .308.

I see they currently have some IHCs for sale which is neat because they came from the International factory in Evansville, IN.

PERFECT attitude.

And once they have your info, you can get M2 ball from them the cheapest I have ever found. At least by the 400 rd "case". Anything less and the price is pretty damned salty.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I figured this would be a good of place as any to ask. How do you guys fulfill the membership in CMP affiliated organization? National organizations would be more helpful, as I do not live in the state anymore.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I figured this would be a good of place as any to ask. How do you guys fulfill the membership in CMP affiliated organization? National organizations would be more helpful, as I do not live in the state anymore.

A) these are not rifles, they are sold as surplus

CMP affiliated club.......just join one....the grand collectors is one, ft Wayne rifle and revolver, Antwerp conservation club....just pay tour dues.....there is a list of clubs on the CMP website.....

Passport, birth certificate....proof of U.S. citizenship

Proof of firearms safety..... competition in 1 CMP match.....1 NRA match , CCW permit

Proof of military service, LEO , also works for firearm safety

A trip to one of the CMP stores is a must......or you can have tour surplus shipped directly to to you.....no FFL

A C&R will not help you in your burdon of proof to meet the requirements

Aaron

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A) these are not rifles, they are sold as surplus

CMP affiliated club.......just join one....the grand collectors is one, ft Wayne rifle and revolver, Antwerp conservation club....just pay tour dues.....there is a list of clubs on the CMP website.....

Passport, birth certificate....proof of U.S. citizenship

Proof of firearms safety..... competition in 1 CMP match.....1 NRA match , CCW permit

Proof of military service, LEO , also works for firearm safety

A trip to one of the CMP stores is a must......or you can have tour surplus shipped directly to to you.....no FFL

A C&R will not help you in your burdon of proof to meet the requirements

Aaron

BUUUUT... if you go visit the store, they will not ship it home for you. You must walk out with it.

Apparently people were dodging sales tax and having the rifles they picked out shipped home as if it were an online order. Apparently shipping is cheaper than tax? or the in-store price is the same as shipped (which includes shipping) so they didnt want to get dinged for shipping they didnt get AND tax? I dont know but CMP stopped that.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    So here's my next question. Have any of you ever gotten a sub par Garand from the CMP? I'm always apprehensive about buying online without seeing pictures, but I know the CMP has been doing this for a LONG time, and have some very qualified individuals running the show. I watched a video about the condition some of the Garands they just got back, and it sort of threw me for a loop. I'd love to have an IHC added to my collection, but don't want to spend $1000 (a lot of money for me at the moment) on something that may be beat to ****

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased quite a lot from the CMP. The early purchases were mail order before the CMP stores opened. I mailed in orders for items that would sell out a few days after they were announced or if I didn't have time to drive to one of the stores. In every case the item was better than the description but the lower the grade the greater chance of an ugly rifle. I was delighted with a few of the mail ordered rifles like a rack grade Greek return H&R ($295) that was like new except the stock looked like failing high school shop project that was inletted with a circular saw. Another good mail order Garand was a service grade Danish Navy Winchester, with VAR barrel (5-57 1.5/1.5), that looked fresh from rebuild. Years ago volunteers were allowed to grade the M1s during inspection with the guidance of grading the rifle to the grade that you would be happy to receive. A lot of M1s were under graded so the chance of receiving a great lower grade rifle was very good. I think that time has passed. In the past the CMP would allow returns if you found the rifle unacceptable.

Several people reported their recently purchased IHCs were good with a lot of IHC parts. My IHC DCM Garand was a fresh from from rebuild and it did not have many IHC parts. I ordered an IHC several times when they were offered by the CMP. The first was rack grade with the original barrel (7-54 LMR 4/4). The second IHC Garand was a service grade Gap Letter with a replacement barrel (8-65 SA 2.5/1.5). All of my IHC M1 are RRAD rebuilds from the '60s and they have few IHC parts and they all show little use after rebuild. As in the past the International Harvester Company Garands will not last long at CMP.

In most cases a mail order to the CMP will get you a good M1 but if you can go to one of the stores you can pick the one you like.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    So here's my next question. Have any of you ever gotten a sub par Garand from the CMP? I'm always apprehensive about buying online without seeing pictures, but I know the CMP has been doing this for a LONG time, and have some very qualified individuals running the show. I watched a video about the condition some of the Garands they just got back, and it sort of threw me for a loop. I'd love to have an IHC added to my collection, but don't want to spend $1000 (a lot of money for me at the moment) on something that may be beat to ****

I have bought 3 rifles from the CMP over the years, the last time was at least 10 years ago, if not more.

1 was like new, straight off of the production line.

1 was a '50's era rebuild, a bit rusty and the wood pretty beat up, but it cleaned up nicely.

The 3rd was a 1960's era rebuild. Winchester receiver, but nothing else Winchester. The metal looked to have been refinished more than once. It had a birch stock that was pretty decent, but overall it wasn't nearly as nice a rifle as the other 2 that I got.

It's definitely a crap shoot if you don't go pick it out yourself.

Top Bottom