• ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Two Words: Term Limits
    Even those FEW that go to the Swamp with Good Intentions, are Ruined by it.
    Very true. Theoretically, we all have the power to limit the time we allow our critters to serve themselves but it's a very rare thing to see voters show someone the door. Once elected, too many seem to linger in power until they are literally carried (in a rectangular box) down the steps of the US Capitol Building.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Senator McConnell is a mixed bag. He doesn't like Trump. He never hid that fact. He doesn't like Trump candidates. The good thing about him, he did an outstanding job getting those judicial appointments through. He played hard ball politics. he thumbed his nose at the outside pressure from the special interest groups and the press, not a lot of politicians will do that.
    Mitch doesn’t like what he can’t control.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think if we're gonna split the Republicans into just two factions, I don't think there are really that many Rand Paul Republicans. I think the dichotomy is establishment/CoC/neocon republicans vs AF/AF-adjacent/Selective-AF-pretender Republicans.

I think Young is in the former as a CoC/neocon, and Braun is in the latter as a Selective-AF-pretender. I say selective because they'll side with the CoC's at will when they think there's cover.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’ve never heard the word RINO until Trump came along.
    You need to get out more and study.

“As ideas about the Republican Party formed, however, there soon became an orthodoxy to offend, and "Republicans in name only" emerged. For example, in the 1890s in the Indianapolis Journal, a judicial appointee was called a "Republican in name only" (though in that case not as a slur, but as a compliment to soothe worried Democrats).”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You need to get out more and study.

“As ideas about the Republican Party formed, however, there soon became an orthodoxy to offend, and "Republicans in name only" emerged. For example, in the 1890s in the Indianapolis Journal, a judicial appointee was called a "Republican in name only" (though in that case not as a slur, but as a compliment to soothe worried Democrats).”
    I think the first time I heard that term was from Rush Limbaugh, at least in its modern context.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Two Words: Term Limits
    Even those FEW that go to the Swamp with Good Intentions, are Ruined by it.
    I get why this idea is liked. The flaw in this concept is that the people that keep electing Nancy Pelosi or Mitch is that if they got term limited out, they’d elect someone better. There’s not much evidence to show this will happen very often.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t really like the whole RINO thing either. How are they not really a Republican when it appears an awful lot of other Republicans agree with them. Republican has no special magical meaning. It doesn’t mean you are a conservative (contrary to what FNC and other media says). Indiana should be able to do better with a real conservative. i think it’s clear that in New England, Susan Collins is about as good as we can do.
    I have been telling some here for a while the republican electorate is more left than many of we conservatives here on INGO. I bet less than 20% of Young’s voters are even slightly perturbed with his vote. I think many here live in circles that everyone agrees and it creates a normalcy bias that others believe like them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I first heard the term RINO back in the 90's, Rush Limbaugh used to use it all the time during the era of the elder Bush.

I haven't seen any good come from using it, like any derisive term, it gets thrown around far too much.

Years ago, people referred to "Goldwater" Republicans vs. "Rockefeller" Republicans to explain the differences in the party. We need something like that to denote differences without being insulting.

I tend to lean towards the libertarian viewpoint, but I am inconsistent depending upon the issue and seldom feel so confident that I am correct on anything to believe that righteous name-calling is in order.
    Does “dem light” work?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I get why this idea is liked. The flaw in this concept is that the people that keep electing Nancy Pelosi or Mitch is that if they got term limited out, they’d elect someone better. There’s not much evidence to show this will happen very often.
    Very true. I have never seen term limits as a panacea. The swamp is deep and well stocked with foot soliders. Take a hypothetical state senator that runs for the fed house and wins, they then go to DC with themselves, a consigliere, and an aide.

The party assigns a team of staff, our rep and their trusted advisers become about 20% of the team, a team that already knows what to do, and likely has ambitions and loyalties elsewhere. If we do term limits there will be unintended consequences, one of them is giving the permanent DC even more power.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At this point I think we should pick representatives in the house via a random lottery similar to jury duty.

You get a card in the mail that says, "congratulations, for the next two years you represent the XX district."

Pull a new name every two year term. It couldn't be any worse than what we have now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the first time I heard that term was from Rush Limbaugh, at least in its modern context.
    It's often misused though.

"Republican" is a party where the seat of power is the leadership. In a practical sense the Republican Party is what they say it is. The smaller factions discordant with the party platform of Holcombian milquetoast are closer to Republicans in name only.

The Indiana Republican Party is the party of Holcomb. People who are discordant with Holcomb are the real RINOs. I'm not saying that to disparge the disaffected Republcians. We need to change it so that the RINOs are the people who agree with Holcomb. But judging from Holcomb's landslide win, Hoosiers are just fine with the Party Platform as it stands. Kinda conservative, but not too conservative. Don't make waves. Don't do anything too radical. Don't be so AF that anyone can notice.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's often misused though.

"Republican" is a party where the seat of power is the leadership. In a practical sense the Republican Party is what they say it is. The smaller factions discordant with the party platform of Holcombian milquetoast are closer to Republicans in name only.

The Indiana Republican Party is the party of Holcomb. People who are discordant with Holcomb are the real RINOs. I'm not saying that to disparge the disaffected Republcians. We need to change it so that the RINOs are the people who agree with Holcomb. But judging from Holcomb's landslide win, Hoosiers are just fine with the Party Platform as it stands. Kinda conservative, but not too conservative. Don't make waves. Don't do anything too radical. Don't be so AF that anyone can notice.
    Nothing says it cannot have several meanings to different folks or times. Heck I posted the local usage well over a hundred years ago where it was acknowledged as a good thing the candidate was RINO. LOL

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Elected representative are really the only say people have in a government increasingly run by the unelected and appointed. Joe is a great example of this, while he was elected, he's clearly not making the decisions.

Term limits for elected should also focus on anything involving taxpayer money.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Elected representative are really the only say people have in a government increasingly run by the unelected and appointed. Joe is a great example of this, while he was elected, he's clearly not making the decisions.

Term limits for elected should also focus on anything involving taxpayer money.
    Unfortunately for us, the term limit for the swamp creatures is roughly one career in length.

Top Bottom