• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    ANd finally and most importantly I am not european. Coffee is the flavor that I am wanting. Not some frenchy vanilla walnut crap!

The only place I've seen fancy flavored coffee is the US. Just like with beer, I think that we Americans (you and I excluded) are the ones who try to fancy everything up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I must try one of these presses! Likes me some all kinda coffees. :coffee:

Nothing gets under my skin like making a nice cappuccino for someone and having them say, "Ew! That doesn't taste anything like the kind I get at the gas station!":n00b:

My response is typically, "Set down the cup and get out before I hurt you.":bash:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Since I started roasting my own beans a year or so ago, a french press is my coffee maker of choice. Simple and tasty.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think the best investment I ever made was in one of those stove top espresso makers. We had one of the plugin models before but the stove top one is really handy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the best investment I ever made was in one of those stove top espresso makers. We had one of the plugin models before but the stove top one is really handy.

Stovetop version makes the best Cuban coffees, IMO.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Nice to see I'm not the only home roaster here, SirRealism!

Yep, started with a popcorn popper, then finally made the jump to an iRoast II a few months ago. Now I just need to get a dryer vent hose so I can stop setting off the smoke alarms.

Isn't it great having truly fresh coffee every day?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i've got a couple of french presses. one is a one cupper that i take backpacking, along with my espresso maker, and the other, the full size, goes with me on boy scout campouts. i don't leave home without one.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The only place I've seen fancy flavored coffee is the US. Just like with beer, I think that we Americans (you and I excluded) are the ones who try to fancy everything up.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is not American my friend. ;)

The Euros do add stuff to their beers as well. It's all in the name of trying to make something different.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout is not American my friend. ;)

The Euros do add stuff to their beers as well. It's all in the name of trying to make something different.

Perhaps in my reply, I shouldn't have used the word "fancy" to describe Americanized beers. Maybe "wimpy".

YDCS is not what I would deem "fancy". It's a real, stout, full-bodied beer... I'd say that YDCS is to good, black coffee, what Bud/Miller et al are to syrupy coffee crap that you'd buy at Starsucks.

And, before someone says it, yes, Framboise is Belgian. But, it's an amazing ale, even though it's sweet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    8:45 pm - Sitting here with a chunk of Hershey's Symphony in my mouth, washing it down with Folgers Colombian. Reading this thread thinking, hmmmm interesting.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Perhaps in my reply, I shouldn't have used the word "fancy" to describe Americanized beers. Maybe "wimpy".

YDCS is not what I would deem "fancy". It's a real, stout, full-bodied beer... I'd say that YDCS is to good, black coffee, what Bud/Miller et al are to syrupy coffee crap that you'd buy at Starsucks.

And, before someone says it, yes, Framboise is Belgian. But, it's an amazing ale, even though it's sweet.

The macro brews do what they do best. Churn out a crap load of generic "beer". For those who like real beer, the US micro brew market has plenty of stuff that can compete with the Euros IMO (I am going to go ahead and plug Bell's beer right now ;) ). Personally, there are a lot of very popular euro beers that I would rather have a Miller over. I have yet to have a Czech beer that is worth a crap IMO (I hate Pilsner Urquell and Budvar doesn't taste much better than Budweiser IMO).

I guess my point is, just because it is euro, doesn't mean it is better. Sometimes the euro option is better, sometimes not. It is a matter of taste.

Now back to the coffee tawk. :D

Last edited:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    8:45 pm - Sitting here with a chunk of Hershey's Symphony in my mouth, washing it down with Folgers Colombian. Reading this thread thinking, hmmmm interesting.

I brushed my teeth and am drinking a glass of milk. Not quite the same I'm guessing. :D

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The macro brews do what they do best. Churn out a crap load of generic "beer". For those who like real beer, the US micro brew market has plenty of stuff that can compete with the Euros IMO (I am going to go ahead and plug Bell's beer right now ;) ). Personally, there are a lot of very popular euro beers that I would rather have a Miller over. I have yet to have a Czech beer that is worth a crap IMO (I hate Pilsner Urquell and Budvar doesn't taste much better than Budweiser IMO).

I guess my point is, just because it is euro, doesn't mean it is better. Sometimes the euro option is better, sometimes not. It is a matter of taste.

Now back to the coffee tawk. :D

I agree with everything you said, esp. re: Czech beers. I generally don't drink anything from a green bottle (Molson, Urquel, Heineken). Give me a Bud longneck over any of those.

But, what do I know? I've been drinking. :D

Top Bottom