• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Just wanted to know if there are any legal issues I should be concerned with carrying a coin sap/purse/wallet?
    Have 2 conflicting opnion's first is any kind of sap/black jack is illegal the other is as long as it is a functioning coin purse it is legal.
    Here are a couple of pic's of my new coin purse/sap/wallet and my other SD carry items.
    025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    You can pick one up at bladeart.com it is a Todd Foster coin purse/sap. I have about $9 in dimes in it and from what I understand as it breaks in will hold more.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm cheap. I just carry a gobstopper in a sock.:cool:

I would think that as a functional coin holder, despite it's many other possible uses, it would not be restricted.

Just my thought.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I hate these threads, as I have asked this question twice and the lawyers on the board skip over it! :D

From what I have been told, they are NOT illegal. There were laws regarding it, but they were supposedly repealed. I have YET to find a law on the books saying no saps. I have found no throwing stars, no gun without a permit, etc... but NOTHING regarding saps. I have one myself, a really nice leather jobber. Its hard to find a truely good sap anymore, most of the ones I have seen are cheap ones you can get in chinese mail order cataloges. Pwrcrz, yours is a REALLY nice one, cool Marine logo for your time in the service! :)

Now, on the other hand, cops seem to hate the idea of us carrying a sap. Almost everyone I have talked to on the subject (cops, not just civilians) seem to think that saps are "illegal" because THEY have policies AGAINST carrying them. Take a perfectly good weapon away from the police, they turn against the people. Saps are a darn good weapon IMHO. Not a gun, but a VERY healthy extension of force. Nothing says take a hike and you aren't getting my wallet like a sap on a joint or side of head. They are compact and very efficient for size.

Can't offer the legal advice as no one here seems willing to check it (that is a lawyer). I have carried one, I have scoured the books trying to find laws against them (and to no success). The only thing I can offer is be careful: I would consider pulling out a sap the same act as pulling out a gun. Both can deliver deadly force, one just needs a bit more effort. If you have one, need to use it, up to you. If you have one, think just pulling it out is deterrance, that may be a problem later on...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    From what I have been told, they are NOT illegal. There were laws regarding it, but they were supposedly repealed. I have YET to find a law on the books saying no saps.

Lots of repealed stuff in IC 35-47-5 which is where I would expect it to have been. Sure doesn't seem to be there now. Maybe it used to be or we've just imported the myth from another state's statute (Texas?:D)

I'm not sure how to find the text of those repealed sections to determine if a restriction existed.:dunno:

*adds another gobstopper to sock for good measure*

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Noun

• S: (n) sap (a watery solution of sugars, salts, and minerals that circulates through the vascular system of a plant)
    • S: (n) fool, sap, saphead, muggins, tomfool (a person who lacks good judgment)
    • S: (n) blackjack, cosh, sap (a piece of metal covered by leather with a flexible handle; used for hitting people)

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I never heard of SAP either. I thought it was some kind of knife holder and was wondering why it would be illegal.

I have no idea how they could outlaw a case with something inside it. what's next? banning shoe laces because you can take your steel toed boot off and beat people with it while hosing the laces?

I don't think I am man enough to carry around more than one "coin purse" anyways

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh9KKFJyGZE[/ame]

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    My grandmother used to carry one back in the days when she owned a tavern in a not so favorable part of town. She also carried a gun, but she would carry the SAP when walking to the car in wee hours of the night. I own it now, but have never carried it, which might be a good thing depending on the law.

James

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Saps was one of the handiest things there was. Most cops carried one at one time. I think a number of uniforms still have a sap pocket in the pants. I use to carry one in my back pocket, many years ago when they was legal, when I worked as a bartender in a rough part of town. Came in handy more then a few times.

They was illegal at one time in Indiana. I am glad to see it has been appealed. Now just to find a good one.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So there apparently is a metal plate in this thing?

Is the preferred method of destruction to hit your assailant with the edge? or the broad face of the device?

Iv'e seen what leather gloves weighted with lead shot can do - so I know why they're illegal.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    No metal plate it has about $9.50 in dimes in it. You can see the zipper to open the pocket to add or sutract coins.
    Also you use the broad face not the edge.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    So there apparently is a metal plate in this thing?

Is the preferred method of destruction to hit your assailant with the edge? or the broad face of the device?

Iv'e seen what leather gloves weighted with lead shot can do - so I know why they're illegal.

Saps you aim at face, joints and other "weak" areas of the body. You hit them with the broad face of the device.

As for weighted gloves, please show us the statute against them! That is what this thread is about. Its not about "well, my cop friend said they are illegal' or "I THINK they are illegal". Its about "here is the law saying they are illegal". I can't find anything saying these devices are illegal. I get a bunch of hearsay and conjecture, but no actual laws (and I have scoured my resources to find them).

Top Bottom