• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I have one, but I never called it a sap. We always called them black jacks. Mine is a lead ball covered in leather with a stiff spring that runs thru the handle. Hurts like a mofo.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A few more Sap pics for those who are having trouble visualizing one:

AndysLeatherSap1005.jpg

PoliceSap250x200.png

saps280.jpg

bucheimerjacks.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Is the preferred method of destruction to hit your assailant with the edge? or the broad face of the device?

No metal plate it has about $9.50 in dimes in it. You can see the zipper to open the pocket to add or sutract coins.
    Also you use the broad face not the edge.

According to the guy in this link from the other sap thread.
    Blackjacks and Saps
    You use both depending on the target, flat against elbows, wrists, groin :n00b: etc, and the edge against large muscle groups. At least that's how I read it. But that would be for a traditional sap with a solid flat piece, not sure how well hitting with the edge of the coin sap would work.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I carry one all the time, most places you are skirting the law. The way I look at it is that it could very likely keep me from shooting someone. My favorite target is underneath the side of the chin, especially if they have their tongue between their teeth.

We stopped being able to carry one not long before I came on the job. I would take one over an ASP any day of the week. I have sever of Todd's saps including this one and love this one the most.- George

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I carry one all the time, most places you are skirting the law.

I've seen no current Indiana law prohibiting saps. Other states do. I believe this part of the Indiana code was repealed, but I'd like to see some independent confirmation of that.

From the previous thread on this:

"I'm told that the old Indiana law referring to (Blackjacks, Nucks, Billies, etc), was 35-23-9-1 and 35-23-9-2 (which I think were rolled forward into 35-47-5-3); all of which were REPEALED. I don't have access to confirm any of this, but for those of you that do, or for those who want to do further research, these references may point you in the right direction."

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._blackjacks_coin_purses_etc-2.html#post332598

And from post #19 of that thread (see also post 23 of that thread):

"IC 35-47-5-3, concerning the prohibition of exposing or offering knucks, a sling-shot or a billy for sale, was repealed by P.L.269-1995, § 10, effective July 1, 1995." (Btw, don't start on "sling-shots", this isn't refering to what you may be thinking.)

I'm not a lawyer. Reps from me for the first legal eagle to set me/us straight on this!

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I haven't heard the term SAP in years, and I'm only 31. That is an awesome SAP/coin holder. I think I have a new object for my list. I may even get one for the wife (still on the fence about a handgun). I'm usally a pretty practical person and this thing fits the bill. WOW, thanx for the post.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I have an update to it.

I was at the "Antique Mall" in Markle, Indiana, killing some time with wifey and son a couple weeks back. There is one booth in particular that I frequent that contains items of a little different flavor than the standard booths do. I look over on a small table and spotted a bit of tanned leather sticking out from under a few other items. It looked like a small leather handle of sorts. I found my first SAP! In fact, it looks like the one labeled 796 in post #22 above. The leather strap handle slides up and down the body of the device for ease in concealment (I think), and it feels like someone rapped loose dimes inside the leather body. It is not a solid chunk of lead in the middle.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I had a very small, very cute "key chain" stuffed animal w/a zippered pouch in it's stomach that was just large enough to hold a roll of quarters, if you palmed it w/a roll of quarters inside it added a bit of weight to punches.

It was my little "carried in secured areas" edge, where all of my other self-defense options were strictly forbidden.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I'm cheap. I just carry a gobstopper in a sock.:cool:
    :D
    Ive always kinda liked this one...

"I have a 1-1/2" Guardrail nut looped on a piece of 550 cord. Not whiz bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and its coloring books for Christmas time."- HiWayMan

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Want to do the same thing on the cheap???????

Get a padlock and a bandana, tie in the middle place in back pocket. Be careful of the color of the flag in your back pocket in certian neighborhoods or just plan tuck it in.

It an old outlaw biker trick totally legal to carry. Just like a ball peen hammer or flashlight.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I have one of those kangaroo yam bag coin purses direct from Oz that holds a lot of coins. It's a bit odd if it's too full, but with several coins in it, it would work in a pinch as a sap. I like the one the OP posted, though. Might have to take a look at those.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    For several years I carried a set up I made of two heavy socks, one inside the other, with about 50 or 60 .45 lead balls in it, and then knotted up. Never had to swing it in defense or anger, but it could certainly knock the fight out of someone if needed! I bet I still have it in one of my "bachelor boxes", I outta dig it out and toss it in the car now that I am assured it is legal to possess.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So you whack people with this "sap" ?? I've never heard of them either. Not sure how they would be used.

Think of it as a flexible club. Analogy: rubber hoses, lead shot in a sock, bamboo cane...

I really need to start looking at the dates of these posts...

Last edited:

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Yeah, sorry for digging this one up. What is the etiquette on that sorta thing? Let threads die in peace, or is it ok to ring in one an older one? Really, I was just up late and sleepy and wanted to talk about my lead-ball club.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    As long as you have something relevant to add, bringing an old thread back to life is fine.

If a member is doing bringing a post back to life just to say, "Yeah!" or "Me, too!" in order to get their 50 posts to make a mad dash in to the classifieds, that's a no-no.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    glad its back

My granddad had a leather one that he puchased in his 80's that I have no clue to its current whereabouts. Personally, I've got one of those 45-110 commemoratives from the NRA with Tom Sellecks signature cast into it. It is the same size as a 45-110 shell and weighs about 4 oz. Tied to a foot long loop of 550 cord it'll take out enough hide for a healthy DNA sample. Prolly knock you senseless pretty quickly too. #12 Lead shot works well in a sap. Rock in a sock, coke or canned good in a pillow case, all the same concept. Weight on a string multiplies speed/force of strike.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    If a member is doing bringing a post back to life just to say, "Yeah!" or "Me, too!" in order to get their 50 posts to make a mad dash in to the classifieds, that's a no-no.
    No issue there, as I currently don't have the means to be involved in the classified section anyway! I can see how that could get really frustrating, though.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I see a coin purse with a loop to hang it on your belt... :dunno: whats the big deal?

I realise that it could be used as a weapon, but so can just about anything you hand me*. in the right hands, a TV remote is a lethal weapon.

*edit. I meant that as in "any item" not as a measure of my own skill, lol

Top Bottom