• ...and so much more!
  • Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Brad's assessment is fair (as usual).

I don't hate Cold Steel and I can't agree with people who dismiss everything that Cold Steel markets as junk because it's simply not true. Yes, they have some junk, but they also have some good stuff too. The Voyager series has been a very good value since its inception. The 62RN 4 Max may not be worth the price, but it's made with premium materials (blade is CPM 20V) and based on reviews I've seen is a very good heavy duty folder.

When a company has goods at virtually all price points (which is smart business), they're going to have a items that don't appeal to customer A, but are loved by Customer B.

No point in adding much to the Lynn Thompson thing. It's tough to respect him based on what he shows the public, but he knows how to make money.

I dig my Voyager. The triad lock design is insanely durable. CS makes some pretty great knives and some pretty terrible ones also. I'm not obsessed with brand, or constantly need to tear down other brands to justify my purchase. That's not to say I haven't overpaid for something or bought something that was poor quality. I just moved on to something that worked.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I dig my Voyager. The triad lock design is insanely durable. CS makes some pretty great knives and some pretty terrible ones also. I'm not obsessed with brand, or constantly need to tear down other brands to justify my purchase. That's not to say I haven't overpaid for something or bought something that was poor quality. I just moved on to something that worked.

Your brother showed me his huge Cold Steel folder once (was that a gift from you?). I had knife envy until I got an extra large Voyager.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Yup! I got him the XL Voyager vaquero, and myself the tanto version. They come sharp enough to mutilate your hands, as I'm sure you're aware.:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup! I got him the XL Voyager vaquero, and myself the tanto version. They come sharp enough to mutilate your hands, as I'm sure you're aware.:):

Why, you! Oughtta . . .

Yep, that was it. Huge, fully serrated, recurved edge. That thing will make some wicked draw cuts.

I know some people think folders that big are useless or stupid, but if you want one, they're good knives.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The op asked what that reason is. For a non knife person like myself, it is hard to separate the logical criticisms apart from all the nerd rage.

I've never owned a cold steel product .....

I know nothing, of cold steel .....

I own, 1 decent knife .....

esee 4, bought from our own Knife Lady .....

and of course, a Ka Bar .....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    As far as the knives themselves, quality can be all over the spectrum. Cold Steel contracts out all of their manufacturing. They do not have their own manufacturing plant/facility. Cold Steel uses manufactuters in United States (so they claim...which is another story), Japan, China (PRC), Taiwan, South Africa, and India. So, the quality can be all over the place.....QC is different for each manufacturer facility. As much as I despise Cold Steel (mainly because of the owner), some of their models are decent for the price point, and some are just flat out terrible. Overall, Cold Steel has the reputation in the knife world of being middle of the road or lower in quality compared to other mass production Knife companies. Do your research (knife reviews...etc.) on the model that interests you before purchasing, and if you can handle one in person before purchasing...even better. :twocents:

Edited:
    There are other reasons people hate/despise Cold Steel.
    1. Quality (as stated above).
    2. The Owner with his attitude and antics.
    3. Over the top designs that are just not practical (referred to as mall-ninja knives).
    4. Stealing/using other makers designs without permission.
    5. Over exaggerated marketing of their products which includes bashing the competition.
    6. Susceptible warranty

If, I need another knife, YOU know where I'll be spending MY money .....

With you, and Shelia .....

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I can give you a personal example. I have one of the original Tanto models from the late 80's. Gorgeous knife, strong, sharp as crazy. Love it. I sent it back to Cold Steel a few years ago for a sharpening. After 2 months I called to ask where my knife was. They had no idea, even though I had them sign for the package when it arrived at their warehouse. After a week of calling, I was told the one guy that sharpens knives was in Africa on safari. I called back 2 weeks later to be told they had no idea what happened, and I should call UPS to start an insurance claim. A week later, my sharpened knife showed up at the house.

Moral of this story, great knives do not a great company make. I like their older products, but would never send them a knife to work on..

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I realize this thread has been idle for over a month, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. Last October, I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works and there was some special event going on that representatives from knife companies were present to talk about their blades. Being familiar with CS products and the Proof videos, I recognized Robert Vaughn at the CS counter. I spoke with him for quite a while and I must say, he is quite the guy. He was incredibly friendly and it was like speaking to an old friend. We talked knives, 'shot the bull' and he even gave my wife and 2 daughters some free CS products. We spoke about Lynn, who is quite close to Robert. Robert admitted that Lynn is a unique guy, but shared some stories about him that led me to believe that he is a good dude. After it was all said and done, we shook hands, posed for a photo together and came out with a handful of free CS products.

As far as their products go, I understand that a lot of people have mixed opinions. Personally, I like their products and trust my life to them (well, the ones I own anyways). My work carry knife is the Code 4 tanto in the CTS-XHP steel. It is among the finest budget friendly knife I've ever handled. I used to be a big fan of Zero Tolerance and Spyderco... well still am, but find myself time and again leaving them at home and grabbing the work-horse.

I've seen plenty of videos online praising CS and many that show catastrophic failures. I have never experienced a failure from any of the CS products I own (folders, fixed blades, swords, tomahawks, blowguns, baseball bats and lots of trainers), but understand knives can break, QC can vary and one bad experience can taint someone's perception. Yes, they have some pretty 'out-there' designs, but they also have some very practical, no-nonsense designs as well. As for their Proof videos, I personally get a kick out of them. Nobody else is doing them that I'm aware of and though they can be silly, I find them informative and entertaining.

Again, I'm speaking from my experiences and I stress that this is MY opinion on CS.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I realize this thread has been idle for over a month, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. Last October, I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works and there was some special event going on that representatives from knife companies were present to talk about their blades. Being familiar with CS products and the Proof videos, I recognized Robert Vaughn at the CS counter. I spoke with him for quite a while and I must say, he is quite the guy. He was incredibly friendly and it was like speaking to an old friend. We talked knives, 'shot the bull' and he even gave my wife and 2 daughters some free CS products. We spoke about Lynn, who is quite close to Robert. Robert admitted that Lynn is a unique guy, but shared some stories about him that led me to believe that he is a good dude. After it was all said and done, we shook hands, posed for a photo together and came out with a handful of free CS products.

As far as their products go, I understand that a lot of people have mixed opinions. Personally, I like their products and trust my life to them (well, the ones I own anyways). My work carry knife is the Code 4 tanto in the CTS-XHP steel. It is among the finest budget friendly knife I've ever handled. I used to be a big fan of Zero Tolerance and Spyderco... well still am, but find myself time and again leaving them at home and grabbing the work-horse.

I've seen plenty of videos online praising CS and many that show catastrophic failures. I have never experienced a failure from any of the CS products I own (folders, fixed blades, swords, tomahawks, blowguns, baseball bats and lots of trainers), but understand knives can break, QC can vary and one bad experience can taint someone's perception. Yes, they have some pretty 'out-there' designs, but they also have some very practical, no-nonsense designs as well. As for their Proof videos, I personally get a kick out of them. Nobody else is doing them that I'm aware of and though they can be silly, I find them informative and entertaining.

Again, I'm speaking from my experiences and I stress that this is MY opinion on CS.

I met Robert Vaughn at the NRA convention in Louisville last year, and he is just as you described.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I had a Cold Steel shovel to keep in my truck for emergency uses. It was a really well built piece, and I was very pleased with it. Some how when I cleaned out my truck to sell it I missed getting the shovel out so it went with the truck. I am going to buy another one. I would not rule out buying a Cold Steel knife, I just haven't bought one.

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    Why is this thread a thing?

https://www.knife-depot.com/blog/cold-steel-sues-crkt-over-false-advertising/

SAN MAI Trademark: Cold Steel Issues Open Letter to the Knife Community »

A few observations about Cold Steel, Lynn C. Thompson, and Internet inquiries | BladeForums.com

Cold Steel has always been and always will be mall ninja garbage. They said a few years ago they were going to start producing "American" knives. A normal person would assume this means made in the USA with steel sourced from the USA (as out foundries generally produce some of the best steel around like Carpenter and Crucible). Cold Steel just bought American made steel and then exported it to foreign countries to be finished there.

Ah the 4 Max and Ranch Boss....

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    Exactly!! Seriously I hate Cold Steel and that fat waste of air.

Cold Steel operates off being cheaper than everyone else and bashing the competition. Their products are not good enough to just stand on their own imho. That and again they are not capable of making a non "mall-ninja" knife at all. There is a reason amongst serious knife collectors and enthusiasts Cold Steel is not respected at all.
    Well here's a few that clearly aren't "mall ninja".. Tuff Lite, Broken Skull, American Lawman, Finn Wolf, Ultimate Hunter, Clip Point Voyager, Lucky, Ranch Boss, Pro Lite, Working Man, Pendleton series, Bird and Game, Finn Hawk,etc.. But that's just a few. Clearly you aren't a fan and that's fine, but you are also clearly incorrect.

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    As far as the knives themselves, quality can be all over the spectrum. Cold Steel contracts out all of their manufacturing. They do not have their own manufacturing plant/facility. Cold Steel uses manufactuters in United States (so they claim...which is another story), Japan, China (PRC), Taiwan, South Africa, and India. So, the quality can be all over the place.....QC is different for each manufacturer facility. As much as I despise Cold Steel (mainly because of the owner), some of their models are decent for the price point, and some are just flat out terrible. Overall, Cold Steel has the reputation in the knife world of being middle of the road or lower in quality compared to other mass production Knife companies. Do your research (knife reviews...etc.) on the model that interests you before purchasing, and if you can handle one in person before purchasing...even better. :twocents:

Edited:
    There are other reasons people hate/despise Cold Steel.
    1. Quality (as stated above).
    2. The Owner with his attitude and antics.
    3. Over the top designs that are just not practical (referred to as mall-ninja knives).
    4. Stealing/using other makers designs without permission.
    5. Over exaggerated marketing of their products which includes bashing the competition.
    6. Susceptible warranty
    Can you elaborate on the Cold Steel "claims" to have USA manufactured knives but that's another story?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I want a Cold Steel 4-Max. My wallet disagrees!

I never had a Cold Steel knife but I must say some of their products look interesting.

I want to try their swords.I would look badass carrying that thing around. :rockwoot:

88nor.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Can you elaborate on the Cold Steel "claims" to have USA manufactured knives but that's another story?

Let me be perfectly clear that I'm not referring to Cold Steel's older USA models that were actually manufactured by Camillus with the Cold Steel branding.....like the Carbon V models.

I can tell you that when I was at the Blade show (I believe it was 2015), Cold Steel was promoting a new line up of knives marked "USA". My understanding was the blade was being manufactured in the USA then shipped to Taiwan where the rest of the knife was being built around the blade. I believe they were using CPM-S30V or CTS-XHP steel (I can't remember exactly) and the blades being shipped were not finished....basically shipping blanks. This info came straight from the Cold Steel booth at the Blade show. That is all I can tell you, as I was not interested in spending my time investigating it any further myself since I had no interest/plans to carry Cold Steel products in my inventory.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom