• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Let me be perfectly clear that I'm not referring to Cold Steel's older USA models that were actually manufactured by Camillus with the Cold Steel branding.....like the Carbon V models.

I can tell you that when I was at the Blade show (I believe it was 2015), Cold Steel was promoting a new line up of knives marked "USA". My understanding was the blade was being manufactured in the USA then shipped to Taiwan where the rest of the knife was being built around the blade. I believe they were using CPM-S30V or CTS-XHP steel (I can't remember exactly) and the blades being shipped were not finished....basically shipping blanks. This info came straight from the Cold Steel booth at the Blade show. That is all I can tell you, as I was not interested in spending my time investigating it any further myself since I had no interest/plans to carry Cold Steel products in my inventory.

I believe quite a few manufacturers do that (and not just with knives).
    As long as their foreign parts are assembled in the US they can say it's a US made product.
    I got a Buck knife with the blade stamped "USA" (and "MADE IN USA" all over the box) but the notice said the knife was made with US and "foreign parts" (I think the plastic handle is made in Mexico).
    Even when the knife is made in the US they might still us foreign steel.

It's the same with Leatherman, they are made with "domestic and global parts".
    I believe all the plier heads are made in Mexico (and their files and saws in Europe) it's why they can't no longer stamp "USA" on the head.
    Leatherman have been sued for violating Californian laws for not saying that some parts were foreign made.

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    As far as where Cold Steel is manufactured, all I can say is this. Every blade is clearly marked with the country where the knife is manufactured, regardless of where the materials are from. Yes they use a lot of USA made steels ( CTS XHP CPM3V ) but they always have the "Taiwan", "Japan", "USA" etc. marked on the blades.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I believe quite a few manufacturers do that (and not just with knives).
    As long as their foreign parts are assembled in the US they can say it's a US made product.
    I got a Buck knife with the blade stamped "USA" (and "MADE IN USA" all over the box) but the notice said the knife was made with US and "foreign parts" (I think the plastic handle is made in Mexico).
    Even when the knife is made in the US they might still us foreign steel.

It's the same with Leatherman, they are made with "domestic and global parts".
    I believe all the plier heads are made in Mexico (and their files and saws in Europe) it's why they can't no longer stamp "USA" on the head.
    Leatherman have been sued for violating Californian laws for not saying that some parts were foreign made.

As far as where Cold Steel is manufactured, all I can say is this. Every blade is clearly marked with the country where the knife is manufactured, regardless of where the materials are from. Yes they use a lot of USA made steels ( CTS XHP CPM3V ) but they always have the "Taiwan", "Japan", "USA" etc. marked on the blades.

I'm well aware that many things that are marked USA made are assembled in the USA using parts from other countries, but if you re-read my post you will see that only the blade was made in the USA and the rest of the knife parts, and assembly was done off shore. I was told this by a person that was working the Cold Steel booth at the Blade show. Whether he was misinformed or not, I don't know, and I really don't care....I don't deal or sell Cold Steel products. IMO, I just find it a little misleading if this true.

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    I'm well aware that many things that are marked USA made are assembled in the USA using parts from other countries, but if you re-read my post you will see that only the blade was made in the USA and the rest of the knife parts, and assembly was done off shore. I was told this by a person that was working the Cold Steel booth at the Blade show. Whether he was misinformed or not, I don't know, and I really don't care....I don't deal or sell Cold Steel products. IMO, I just find it a little misleading if this true.
    Take, for instance a knife like the Warcraft Tanto. American CPM3V blades with some of the manufacturing done here stateside, and finished in Taiwan. As for the 4 MAX ( the new ones are now being made in Italy) and Ranch Boss they are 100% made in America, with 100% American materials.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Take, for instance a knife like the Warcraft Tanto. American CPM3V blades with some of the manufacturing done here stateside, and finished in Taiwan. As for the 4 MAX ( the new ones are now being made in Italy) and Ranch Boss they are 100% made in America, with 100% American materials.

Do you know what company is doing the 100% made in America with 100% American materials for Cold Steel?...... I'm just curious.

Top Bottom