• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Stevie Wonder takes a knee, as does the Bruce Maxwell, the catcher for Oakland. People who had never considered doing so, are now doing it simply due to our president running his mouth.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I don't see a player in the US Soccer League garnering the same fame/infamy.

I'm pretty sure USWNT star Megan Rapinoe started kneeling, not because of protest, but to support Kaper*icks.

I love how those taking knees say it is "for the Oppressed". I've never understood how someone can be oppressed, and have electricity and a wi-fi signal at the same time. People in let's say Syria,Venezuela, or North Korea are probably saddened by how oppressed we are.

JTJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Anderson
    I think it is very disrespectful to not stand, but it should not be a question of "CAN I" or "CAN'T I" it should be "SHOULD I" or "SHOULDN'T I".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wonder if the NFL has done some polling to determine their crowd base is more of the social justice warrior set versus the Trumpskyites. Because it sure looks like the League is willing to double down on all this.

I don't think so. If anything the NFL would probably most like this to quietly go away. But if they're forced to pick sides they'll pick the side they're on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm pretty sure USWNT star Megan Rapinoe started kneeling, not because of protest, but to support Kaper*icks.

I love how those taking knees say it is "for the Oppressed". I've never understood how someone can be oppressed, and have electricity and a wi-fi signal at the same time. People in let's say Syria,Venezuela, or North Korea are probably saddened by how oppressed we are.
    That is like the US poverty situation. As I understand it, we have the most obese people in poverty in the world.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Kap has not made a statement in regards to the military, and I've never known the NFL to be pro-Nationalism. Nationalism is the undesired extreme of Patriotism.

“Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. Both words are normally used in so vague a way that any definition is liable to be challenged, but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By ‘patriotism’ I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.”

― George Orwell

I submit that Trump is far more of a patriot than any Neocon (or president influenced by them) attempting to export American style democracy as the answer to any and all world problems

When Trump says, “America first!” a lot of people familiar with Charles Lindbergh interpret it as, “Don’t fight Nazis!” But it’s unlikely that the audiences before Trump would applaud that sentiment, even on their worst days. No, they’re applauding the idea of standing up for ourselves, of no longer having to sacrifice our priorities and interests for a nebulous sense of the global greater good.

- Jim Geraghty

Trump's appeal in a nutshell. No 'Amerika Uber Alles' just not sacrificing American interests to virtue signal to countries that certainly know how to take care of their own interests while vilifying us

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I submit that Trump is far more of a patriot than any Neocon (or president influenced by them) attempting to export American style democracy as the answer to any and all world problems

Trump's appeal in a nutshell. No 'Amerika Uber Alles' just not sacrificing American interests to virtue signal to countries that certainly know how to take care of their own interests while vilifying us

Are you saying that Trump is not a nationalist, but is instead a patriot? Or are you just saying nationalists are at least more patriotic than Neocons?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But as both sides dig in, they will force more and more people, that don't really care, to take a side in one tribe or another.

Yep. And as early as just this morning I've had conversations with people that the NFL is losing in fan base. As I've said elsewhere, I used to be about as big of an NFL fan around. Like the other thread talking about giving up soft drinks, over the last few years I've given up pro football and am down to maybe 1 game a week...and not even a whole game at that. They want the lefties astheir fan base and I'm going to oblige them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep. And as early as just this morning I've had conversations with people that the NFL is losing in fan base. As I've said elsewhere, I used to be about as big of an NFL fan around. Like the other thread talking about giving up soft drinks, over the last few years I've given up pro football and am down to maybe 1 game a week...and not even a whole game at that. They want the lefties astheir fan base and I'm going to oblige them.
    That is the thing that confuses me though. Do they think the lefties are going to fill the seats and watch the games on TV? They are too busy watching the kardashian type shows and eating brie....;)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I cut way back on watching NFL games last year, this year I have 0 interest in it. We all need to not watch games or buy Colts tickets. I hate to punish the Colts, but we (the true fan base) need to get the attention of the NFL.

If people are not filling up stadiums, the owners will take notice.

Trump is absolutely right, if the owners don't fire players for taking a knee, then leave the stadium.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is the thing that confuses me though. Do they think the lefties are going to fill the seats and watch the games on TV? They are too busy watching the kardashian type shows and eating brie....;)

I think they think the vast majority think just as they do. And maybe they do. I don't care. Time will tell. They're running me off and frankly, I'll have a lot more spare time to do stuff around the house thanks to them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But as both sides dig in, they will force more and more people, that don't really care, to take a side in one tribe or another.

How about not using America's pass times to make political points? If unity is a goal, making a stand using divisive tactics isn't going to help. And the presiden taking sides, isn't going to help either.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I cut way back on watching NFL games last year, this year I have 0 interest in it. We all need to not watch games or buy Colts tickets. I hate to punish the Colts, but we (the true fan base) need to get the attention of the NFL.

Trump is absolutely right, if the owners don't fire players for taking a knee, then leave the stadium.

That would be epic to see a large chunk of the crowd get up and leave. Too bad they'll already have spent a small fortune just to be there.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Trump may be right (debatable), but it isn't in his job description to weigh in on the rights of the people, and to tell them which rights are or are not appropriate to express, nor when to express them.... Not when he is acting in the role of president. If he's speaking from his home, as a private citizen, and gives his opinion, that's one thing, but if he's speaking from a podium that has the seal of the presidency on it, he's exceeding the scope of his office.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are you saying that Trump is not a nationalist, but is instead a patriot? Or are you just saying nationalists are at least more patriotic than Neocons?

I am saying Trump is not a Nationalist, in the Orwellian definition, to the extent that he can be rigorously quantified

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How about not using America's pass times to make political points? If unity is a goal, making a stand using divisive tactics isn't going to help. And the presiden taking sides, isn't going to help either.
    Oh I agree. ESPN should have stayed politically neutral. The sports teams are private business and should tell their employees to stay out of these political debates, especially on the field. From a marketing standpoint, they should be more cognizant of their audience.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh I agree. ESPN should have stayed politically neutral. The sports teams are private business and should tell their employees to stay out of these political debates, especially on the field. From a marketing standpoint, they should be more cognizant of their audience.
    Imagine if the TV cameras had not been focused on him kneeling every game and if the "reporters" hadn't wasted air asking him about it incessantly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom