• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think most of their demographic who are gonna be ok with this decision are buying knockoff air force ones and Jordan's anyways, or stolen ones. So I still think nike **** the bed on this one

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Notable difference, Kap is making a hell of a lot more than Bundy. Honestly, I'm odddly impressed with Nike. There's no way in hell I'd take the HUGE risk they are. Kinda refreshing to see a company that big take a make or break stance over something they believe [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] will make them look virtuous.

FIFY... ;)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I was never a Nike wearer...they and Adidas fit weird I thought. I wear Merrill shoes. I haven't owned a pair of Levi pants or anything Levi since i was in high school...40 years ago...my go-to jeans are Duluth Trading, they last forever.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From Taya Kyle:

[FONT=&quot]Nike, I love your gear, but you exhaust my spirit on this one. Your new ad with Colin Kapernick, I get the message, but that sacrificing everything thing…. It just doesn’t play out here. Sacrificing what exactly? A career? I’ve done that both times I chose to stay home and be with my kids instead of continuing my business climb… and it wasn’t sacrificing everything. It was sacrificing one career and some money and it was because of what I believe in and more importantly, who I believe in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]At best, that is all Colin sacrificed… some money and it’s debatable if he really lost his career over it. Maybe he sacrificed the respect of some people while he gained the respect of others. Or maybe he used one career to springboard himself into a different career when the first was waning. I don’t know. What I do know is, he gained popularity and magazine covers he likely wouldn’t have gotten without getting on his knees or as you say, “believing in something.” I’m also thinking the irony is that while I am not privy to the numbers, it’s likely he gained a lucrative Nike contract. So yeah… that whole “sacrificing everything” is insulting to those who really have sacrificed everything.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You want to talk about someone in the NFL sacrificing everything? Pat Tillman. NFL STARTING, not benched, player who left to join the Army and died for it. THAT is sacrificing everything for something you believe in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How about other warriors? Warriors who will not be on magazine covers, who will not get lucrative contracts and millions of followers from their actions and who have truly sacrificed everything. They did it because they believed in something. Take it from me, when I say they sacrificed everything, they also sacrificed the lives of their loved ones who will never be the same. THAT is sacrificing everything for something they believe in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Did you get us talking? Yeah, you did. But, your brand recognition was strong enough. Did you teach the next generation of consumers about true grit? Not that I can see.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Taking a stand, or rather a knee, against the flag which has covered the caskets of so many who actually did sacrifice everything for something they believe in, that we all believe in? Well, the irony of your ad..it almost leaves me speechless. Were you trying to be insulting?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Maybe you are banking on the fact we won’t take the time to see your lack of judgement in using words that just don’t fit. Maybe you are also banking on us not seeing Nike as kneeling before the flag. Or maybe you want us to see you exactly that way. I don’t know. All I know is, I was actually in the market for some new kicks and at least for now, I’ve never been more grateful for Under Armour.[/FONT]

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    From Taya Kyle:

Nike, I love your gear, but you exhaust my spirit on this one. Your new ad with Colin Kapernick, I get the message, but that sacrificing everything thing…. It just doesn’t play out here. Sacrificing what exactly? A career? I’ve done that both times I chose to stay home and be with my kids instead of continuing my business climb… and it wasn’t sacrificing everything. It was sacrificing one career and some money and it was because of what I believe in and more importantly, who I believe in.
    At best, that is all Colin sacrificed… some money and it’s debatable if he really lost his career over it. Maybe he sacrificed the respect of some people while he gained the respect of others. Or maybe he used one career to springboard himself into a different career when the first was waning. I don’t know. What I do know is, he gained popularity and magazine covers he likely wouldn’t have gotten without getting on his knees or as you say, “believing in something.” I’m also thinking the irony is that while I am not privy to the numbers, it’s likely he gained a lucrative Nike contract. So yeah… that whole “sacrificing everything” is insulting to those who really have sacrificed everything.
    You want to talk about someone in the NFL sacrificing everything? Pat Tillman. NFL STARTING, not benched, player who left to join the Army and died for it. THAT is sacrificing everything for something you believe in.
    How about other warriors? Warriors who will not be on magazine covers, who will not get lucrative contracts and millions of followers from their actions and who have truly sacrificed everything. They did it because they believed in something. Take it from me, when I say they sacrificed everything, they also sacrificed the lives of their loved ones who will never be the same. THAT is sacrificing everything for something they believe in.
    Did you get us talking? Yeah, you did. But, your brand recognition was strong enough. Did you teach the next generation of consumers about true grit? Not that I can see.
    Taking a stand, or rather a knee, against the flag which has covered the caskets of so many who actually did sacrifice everything for something they believe in, that we all believe in? Well, the irony of your ad..it almost leaves me speechless. Were you trying to be insulting?
    Maybe you are banking on the fact we won’t take the time to see your lack of judgement in using words that just don’t fit. Maybe you are also banking on us not seeing Nike as kneeling before the flag. Or maybe you want us to see you exactly that way. I don’t know. All I know is, I was actually in the market for some new kicks and at least for now, I’ve never been more grateful for Under Armour.

Excellent.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't have any NIKE shoes to burn or trash or destroy.
    I do have NIKE shirts, sweatshirts, Jackets, golf jackets, rain ponchos, golf balls, clubs, sweat bands, gloves that will be donated to a clown I know wanting you "light up" YouTube with the stuff.
    In all fairness, I hate the jackets. Noisy and scratchy, and the rain ponchos are just like the Korean crap from WallyWorld with the Nike Check mark Logo on them. Not quality that matches the over pricing.
    I don't really care what Nike and CK do.
    We're in America and there's free speech and free enterprise and I'm sure of other basic human rights that need protected. I may not like it but that's U.S.A. I love and ***** about all too often.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Notable difference, Kap is making a hell of a lot more than Bundy. Honestly, I'm odddly impressed with Nike. There's no way in hell I'd take the HUGE risk they are. Kinda refreshing to see a company that big take a make or break stance over something they believe in.

And what exactly do they believe in, Communism?

That seems odd for a company trying to function in a Capitalist world but the world is an odd place right now.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Casual Dress.....you? I LOL'd.

not exactly a phrase I saw coming from Churchmouse!

I will buy a new pair about every 5 or 6 years. I wear them for casual dress mainly so they last a long long time. When I cycle out to a new pair the old ones get worn to work in. The last pair were 7 years old when retired to work duty. They do make a damn good shoe.

That said I have about 4 more years on the current set. Lets see what they are about when that day rolls around. If ever.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From an expensive entertainment venue to overpriced shoes.

Always follow the money

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And what exactly do they believe in, Communism?

That seems odd for a company trying to function in a Capitalist world but the world is an odd place right now.

I have no indication that Nike, as a company, supports Communism. However, on an unrelated note, it would not be odd for a company that cut it's teeth with capitalist principles to want to a government to dabble in communism.... just so long as they are one of the companies that are able to pass their losses on to the public (i.e. bailouts)

Top Bottom