• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/

Paul Spitale, Colt’s senior vice president for commercial business [stated] ...market for modern sporting rifles has seen a significant decline in demand, leading to some of the lowest prices ever seen for new-in-box AR-15s...“We’ve seen a pretty sharp decline in rifle sales, given our price points... Colt’s manufacturing capacity for AR-style rifles is currently tied up in producing guns for outstanding contracts. ..Meanwhile, Colt is re-focusing its efforts on another segment of the market that has seen increased demand and continues to be a big driver for the company: handguns.

“We’re going to focus on the products that our consumers are asking for. We’ve expanded our 1911s and our revolver line, and that market has been very positive for us,” Spitale said.

Objection, you are redirecting my anger and hostility to the D-ring Generals that run Colt to admiration for their business savvy. I move for a mis-thread.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It seems like the AR market is split in two with Colt not fitting well in either. People either want the cheapest rifle they can find or they want the all dressed out boutique rifles.
    They have been getting some good buzz on some of the new 1911 models and that was another area they had almost abandoned, it seemed like, for several years.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The Colts I was issued were malfunctioning garbage. My boys both were issued Colt garbage as well. Colt is a name only. Thank God that FN got half of the contract. At least they will run well.

My experience with Colt has left a very bad impression on me and I'll never buy one anyway.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Colts I was issued were malfunctioning garbage. My boys both were issued Colt garbage as well. Colt is a name only. Thank God that FN got half of the contract. At least they will run well.

My experience with Colt has left a very bad impression on me and I'll never buy one anyway.

So, um, now is not the time to tell you that I just got a deal on an M6940?:):

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    In all honesty Colt could go totally under and not come back and I would still not care at all. It seems only the older folks gravitate towards Colt mostly due to brand recognition and nostalgia

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In all honesty Colt could go totally under and not come back and I would still not care at all. It seems only the older folks gravitate towards Colt mostly due to brand recognition and nostalgia
    Never thought of myself as “older folks”, but the 6920’s I own are still one of the best deals in the functioning AR business. $600 for an OEM 1 and $630 for an OEM 2. $1230 for two as close as you can gets = not too bad. Oh, and b4 the cheepers jump in talking about how Colt is no longer quality, both have been to high round count shooting schools the OEM 2 has been to three separate classes, with zero issues. All that said, I still routinely run BCM rifles now.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County

So because the military armorers did a very poor job at keeping rifles that are heavily used it all types of conditions running perfect for you it is Colt's fault??? Of all the Colt revolvers, ARs and Gold Cups I have owned for decades I have yet to get one that functioned less than 100%.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Everyone has their own “when I was in the..” “mah weapon wiz junk” story. This guys family must have been singled out for failure, having three separate soldiers issued junk ass Colts? I rebuilt M16A1’s into M4’s for a couple of years, some of these receivers were 30 years old AT THE TIME OF REBUILD, and when properly MAINTAINED, worked just fine? I guess it’s just an anomaly that one family was set up to fail by Colt?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I've owned a couple of Colts along with various other brands, and the Colts have always run like sewing machines.

My youngest son[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]has been serving in the Marines for the last 11 years, and his current billet is 1SG. He has shot enumerable examples of Colts and FNs, and when it came time to buy another personal this year rifle he chose a Colt... I guess that Colts have just been good to our family.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Right now I think the gardener would trade you some of my Colts for some of your rain.
    We haven't had a good rain in a long time... the sprinkler is running right now in the garden.
    They are guessing we should get some rain this weekend.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

My Colt 20" A4 runs like a sewing machine, and the attention to detail is spot on. To be honest, I can't find any fault with the rifle, especially not for the price. Going to be giving FN a try here soon, then I'll be able to make a better comparison.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    The only Colt I'm interested in is the one in my safe with my Grandpa's badge number stamped in the bottom of the grip.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only thing I didn't like about my Colt was it was neutered just before the AWB. No bayonet lug, large fcg pins, sear block, cut bcg, 5 round FIVE! round mag.

I ripped out the sear block so I could run an RRA trigger. Everything else ran like a top and it shot 1 MOA.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I loved reading the miss leading headlines they were stopping due to the mass shootings and the idiots who didnt read past the headline were praising them.

Top Bottom