• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    So disclaimer i am a texan. I’m a fan of police trade ins and noticed alot have come recently from INDIANA. 3 different stores have had them for sale last week. I wonder if they all got them from the same source/auction?
    Copper customs
    Madison Guns
    And recoilgunworks

Copper customs told me which police dept but the other two would not…

Anyone have any experience with any of the anove 3 stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When you say "police buybacks," you mean firearms formerly owned by police departments being sold to the public, right? That's not the use of "buyback" I'm accustomed to hearing.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    So disclaimer i am a texan. I’m a fan of police trade ins and noticed alot have come recently from INDIANA. 3 different stores have had them for sale last week. I wonder if they all got them from the same source/auction?
    Copper customs
    Madison Guns
    And recoilgunworks

Copper Custom is legit. They are my go to gun shop. They have a lot of knowledgeable guys working there. They are very pro 2nd and have a great inventory. Also, as a side note, Tim from “The Military Arms Channel” on YouTube is the owner of Copper Custom.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Side note,

Firearms tax money purchased, then sold back to people, who paid for them.

:yesway:Got it!:yesway:

Police trade-ins are generally exactly what it says on the tin. Traded. An outfit like Kieslers sells a department new guns for $X each and buys the old guns for $Y each, so the new tax money outlay is $X-$Y instead of $X. Kieslers then wholesales the guns to dealers.

Or they could do what the feds do. Shred the guns and buy new at full boat. Then you wouldn't have to cry about the opportunity to buy surplus.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Police trade-ins are generally exactly what it says on the tin. Traded. An outfit like Kieslers sells a department new guns for $X each and buys the old guns for $Y each, so the new tax money outlay is $X-$Y instead of $X. Kieslers then wholesales the guns to dealers.

Or they could do what the feds do. Shred the guns and buy new at full boat. Then you wouldn't have to cry about the opportunity to buy surplus.
    The firearms were purchased with tax money. Period. They are then sold to the public, who once paid for them.

We can split hairs on "how much was saved" but the fact is, they were still bought with tax money.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Copper Custom is legit.
    You apparently haven't heard of the recent unpleasantness Tim has given the firearms community then have you? Regarding a certain import of a certain rifle and the gouging that occurred. I've had a bad experience with Copper as well personally. It was back when Tim was still active on here fairly often. I had to contact him directly through INGO to even get a response.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The firearms were purchased with tax money. Period. They are then sold to the public, who once paid for them.

We can split hairs on "how much was saved" but the fact is, they were still bought with tax money.

I can tell you tax payer purchased firearms are a hoot to shoot with tax payer purchased ammo.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

What is the point? Everything government has was bought with taxpayer money. What the heck are they supposed to do? The options seem to be keep them and store them, sell them or trade them, destroy them or give them away? What of those answers

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    You apparently haven't heard of the recent unpleasantness Tim has given the firearms community then have you? Regarding a certain import of a certain rifle and the gouging that occurred. I've had a bad experience with Copper as well personally. It was back when Tim was still active on here fairly often. I had to contact him directly through INGO to even get a response.
    I’m fully aware of the “unpleasantness” and IMO it’s much ado about nothing. That’s just how free market supply and demand works. It people want to buy a scarce item then they have to pay for it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I’m fully aware of the “unpleasantness” and IMO it’s much ado about nothing. That’s just how free market supply and demand works. It people want to buy a scarce item then they have to pay for it.
    There was more to it than that but there is already a thread about it. Point is that Copper is about as legit as Don's

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    What is the point? Everything government has was bought with taxpayer money. What the heck are they supposed to do? The options seem to be keep them and store them, sell them or trade them, destroy them or give them away? What of those answers
    :dunno:Rock what ya got?

I mean, I'm certain my AR definitely sees as many rounds, if not more than most. I don't plan on "trading it in," for a new model every other year.

Idk...I'm sure I'm out numbered with my stance. I'm just of a different mindset.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Copper Custom is legit. They are my go to gun shop. They have a lot of knowledgeable guys working there. They are very pro 2nd and have a great inventory. Also, as a side note, Tim from “The Military Arms Channel” on YouTube is the owner of Copper Custom.
    Yeaaaaah being associated with him isn't a selling point for me.

Anyway, on the subject of police "trades" I've had both awesome and bad luck with them. Some guns have a decade of cheeto dust and sweat rust caked on them, others appear to have been put on a shelf and left untouched for that same decade. Some long guns sit on racks at the station and are never used, others are left to roll around in the trunk of a cruiser and get beaten to crap. If at all possible, you should fish around and see if anyone is reporting the condition of a given batch that you're looking at.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    :dunno:Rock what ya got?

I mean, I'm certain my AR definitely sees as many rounds, if not more than most. I don't plan on "trading it in," for a new model every other year.

Idk...I'm sure I'm out numbered with my stance. I'm just of a different mindset.

If no one can get your point how would they come close to understanding your mindset?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm aware of a few departments that could use some equipment.
    Not sure why they couldn't get sent to others.

On 5he Fed side we offered to transfer them to other agencies etc before we cut them up. (I was sad watching my McMillan rifle and some Sig 228's get cut up)

I believe the Customs Service CS 1 686 revolvers were the last Fed guns to make it to the civilian market.

I have bought a couple trade ins and faired pretty good as condition etc. But it doesnt appear the LE Trade in market is as good today on deals as it was in the 1990's and 2000's

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm aware of a few departments that could use some equipment.
    Not sure why they couldn't get sent to others.

The feds do, sometimes. Then people whine about "militarized police" instead of whining about trade in guns being sold.

It's mostly because each department is it's own department trying to do the best it can with it's own budget. Although Kieslers, etc does sell used equipment to departments that want it as well.

Gearhead611

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    Franklin Indiana
    Iv
    Copper customs
    Madison Guns
    And recoilgunworks

The feds do, sometimes. Then people whine about "militarized police" instead of whining about trade in guns being sold.
    It's mostly because each department is it's own department trying to do the best it can with it's own budget. Although Kieslers, etc does sell used equipment to departments that want it as well.

Gearhead611

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    Franklin Indiana
    I’ve done business with recoil gunworks and it was great, I was even given a couple free shirts as well as a couple hats for my daughters after my purchases.

Top Bottom