Colt no longer producing ARs for civilians.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    I just read a news story to the effect that Colt has announced it will no longer produce the AR15 for sale to the civilian market.

My mind is reeling at what an idiotic business decision this is. The inevitable boycott will bankrupt them.

I wonder what brainstorming ideas they came up with to justify the loss of revenue.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wonder what brainstorming ideas they came up with to justify the loss of revenue.

Did you not read the articles I posted? Colt has a nice fat contract to upgrade the M4s and got a bunch of orders from DoD to foreign allies,

How is any of this confusing? Colt is beholden to the government, run by a union and must pay East Coast overhead.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I wouldn’t support a boycott but whoever decided now is the time to make that announcement should get a bit of a talking to

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I wouldnÂ’t support a boycott but whoever decided now is the time to make that announcement should get a bit of a talking to

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I wouldn’t support a boycott but whoever decided now is the time to make that announcement should get a bit of a talking to

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I haven't read the entire thread so this may have already been covered. I looked into an armorer class at Colt a while back, they are ONLY available to LEO, etc.

To me, this indicates that they are somewhat anti-2A in practice.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    LE6920 owner here. Glad I own one. Good shooter. Never any issues. I purchased the OEM2, added a SSA trigger group, BCM free float rail, Magpul furniture. My Colt has never failed to deliver an enjoyable shooting experience at the range.
    Back in basic training days (early 80's) I was issued an early series M16 that was absolute junk. Days leading up to qualifying, it would put three rounds down range then a series of two rounds into the feed ramp at the same time. My LE6920 is head and shoulders above what I trained with in those days. I don't get the whole process of being disappointed in Colt for no longer producing a product that is already heavily available on the civilian market.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Remember, they did not make an announcement. They sent an internal memo to a distributor letting them know that there would be no new rifles entering the pipeline because they weren't selling and they needed to concentrate on fulfilling the military contracts. An employee of the distributor leaked it.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Let's put some perspective on this. Colt has so little share of civilian market ar15s why put the effort into it. In a day where Colt has long lost its luster for superior products it's not surprising that they are doing what they have announced.
    1. Think about the cost of ar15s lately. Can buy a cheap one for 400 bucks. Can spend more and get more from a well known and competent company.
    2. Colt should read like Tula or Izzy. They are practically a state run military firm. Not surprising they are going to hang onto what could be the last govt co tracts they will ever see.
    3. Let's face it - Colt is a joke any more. They haven't produced a new or advanced idea in decades. Their last handgun idea was a complete failure. Their ar15s are expensive for what you get as I've had plenty on my bench....I've seen better machining and finishes on less expensive guns and they aren't pushing the limits any where in design.
    Colt is a dead company....it just hasn't stopped kicking. It's only gotten this far due to govt bail out and a bankruptcy. Who wants a Colt when lmt LWRC black rain ordnance or any number of more than a dozen manufacturers makes a better product.
    Truth is Colt is dead. Has been. Like a zombie it manages to struggle on. Once the military picks up a new rifle....Colt may very well be a company in name only. Something stamped on military contract rifles. I foresee Sig and FN becoming more of our militaries go to since they are innovators while Colt has sat on its name for far too long.

wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    Let's put some perspective on this. Colt has so little share of civilian market ar15s why put the effort into it. In a day where Colt has long lost its luster for superior products it's not surprising that they are doing what they have announced.
    1. Think about the cost of ar15s lately. Can buy a cheap one for 400 bucks. Can spend more and get more from a well known and competent company.
    2. Colt should read like Tula or Izzy. They are practically a state run military firm. Not surprising they are going to hang onto what could be the last govt co tracts they will ever see.
    3. Let's face it - Colt is a joke any more. They haven't produced a new or advanced idea in decades. Their last handgun idea was a complete failure. Their ar15s are expensive for what you get as I've had plenty on my bench....I've seen better machining and finishes on less expensive guns and they aren't pushing the limits any where in design.
    Colt is a dead company....it just hasn't stopped kicking. It's only gotten this far due to govt bail out and a bankruptcy. Who wants a Colt when lmt LWRC black rain ordnance or any number of more than a dozen manufacturers makes a better product.
    Truth is Colt is dead. Has been. Like a zombie it manages to struggle on. Once the military picks up a new rifle....Colt may very well be a company in name only. Something stamped on military contract rifles. I foresee Sig and FN becoming more of our militaries go to since they are innovators while Colt has sat on its name for far too long.

Can't argue those points. It is sad that an innovative American Co. is headed to the trash heap by their own doing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Colt has suspended civilian sales several times. As others have noted, there are guns to the same spec, with better finish, that are cheaper. They don't want to sell $500 ARs. They can't compete with the $1500 ARs. They're stuck in the middle as the standard everyone tries to match or exceed, and they have a big military contract.

It's pure business, not politics, though of course the media would like it to be.

I'd be a buyer if they brought back their double action revolvers. I can get better 1911s cheaper. I'm not interested in single action.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Kirk,

You say repeatedly that you wish to fire generals, or even in singular, one general.

Let's explore this concept, shall we?

First, out of what size cannon do you wish to fire this/these generals?

Blessings,
    Bill

And if you remember, it is all BBI's fault!

I wanted to blame generals so I could fire them. BBI used unfair weapons like reason and logic. *kicks rocks, folds arms*

I still want to fire generals . . . . kinda . . . . sorta . . . . ok, any excuse to fire one. Just one, let me fire one of them.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Sometimes gun folks are WAY too sensitive calling for a boycot. Half probably dont even use Colt products. Besides a lot of companies streamline items to make room for larger contacts it's just the timeline this happens more than anything but believe whatever you want.

71393808_2650197221691754_1669385695543689216_n.jpg

Top Bottom