• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've only bought one Colt. Was the first gun I ever bought, Colt King Cobra 6" Stainless 357 magnum. I bought it in 1991 and traded it off sometime in the early 90's. I'll never own another Colt anything.
    Colt's quality issues, business issues, etc make them not of interest to me. Sounds like from this limited report that not much has changed.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've only bought one Colt. Was the first gun I ever bought, Colt King Cobra 6" Stainless 357 magnum. I bought it in 1991 and traded it off sometime in the early 90's. I'll never own another Colt anything.
    Colt's quality issues, business issues, etc make them not of interest to me. Sounds like from this limited report that not much has changed.

The last two Colts I bought have given me fits. This Cobra is a turd and the 38 Super Commander before it needed some work to get running right. Before that though, I had a phenomenal streak of good luck. I hit a run of Colt 1911's over the years that are wicked accurate with exceptional triggers. I'm not off the Colt bandwagon completely, but I am going to proceed with caution.

What makes it worse, I haven't had good luck with my other favorite recently either. The last Smith revolver I bought had a slightly canted barrel that I missed when making the purchase. That had to go back to be corrected. As a matter of fact, I've heard rumblings lately that S&W has been sending out some less than stellar guns, even from their Performance Center.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Question (which I am reluctant to ask):
    In the Colt realm, I have had my Mustang Pocketlite .380 for 30 yrs., not selling it b/c it had the name "Colt" on it, but I don't enjoy it, except for the name.

I have wondered about getting another just for fun.
    I have seen a used Colt snubbie lately (Hoosier Armory) but the price was $900ish, but I wouldn't pay that.
    I've even wondered about the new one, but it goes for $700ish, if I remember.

I was offered an opportunity to buy a Colt Trooper .38 special, 4", Blue (1967 build) from a member here, asking $650.
    It is difficult to find info about it, including pricing, b/c all the info is about the Mark 3, or the .357 or nickel version.
    It is very clean with barely any scoring evident.
    I would not buy a 1967 build normally, but I trust this member that the gun is "straight."
    I'm not a collector, and I would shoot this gun for the joy of shooting something crafted much better than anything else I'll ever shoot (believing the hype).
    B/C of my "advanced age" :oldwise:, the idea of owning a gun just for other's appreciation or future value isn't what it was when I was 30, so that is not much of a factor over just my own enjoyment. I would rather own a gun like this over a .45 1911 that cost the same (or more) b/c I do love revolvers.
    I have a Security Six that I'm totally happy with, not that it shoots any better than the Smith 64-8 or the older police revolver model 10 I have had.
    Logically, I should just move on, but I guess I want to be talked into it, or told that the value is there, or stay away b/c the market is narrow for that particular model, even though it has the name "Colt" on it.
    It's not a snubbie, so it won't be able to do double duty as a CC, it would be just for the fun of owning some history with the classic name with alleged utterly smooth Colt shooting (never experienced that).
    What would be the range of prices for this?
    I can't find anything on Gun Broker, which makes me think this is a very ordinary, not desirable gun (for resale), but I'm assuming it would be "all Colt" when it comes to the shooting. I have heard that this gun was a forerunner of the Python with some things samish about it (whatever that means).
    I have bought S/W SS, 4" 6 shot 64-7 and 64-8 for $300 and $400, and police revolvers model 10 for $275, and I have $390 in my Ruger Security Six, so it is only a little more than other K frame (6 shot) revolvers that I have had recently.
    If the price was $500 I would have already bought it, but I imagine the lowest is $600 (don't know).
    it could be this is priced at the lowest he'll go since he knows I'm thrifty, and we have talked about it over many emails, and he's had time to tempt me with a price I couldn't refuse, and has not.
    Feel free to pm me if you don't want your private advice to be scrutinized.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

It seems that Colt is not the only one with these issues.
    Add Daniel Defense to the list as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Gary I found this one on Gunbroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769956164

1. I went on their site last evening and just now and I can't get this to come up: you must have the touch!
    2. Interesting. With a $25 FFL fee and $40 shipping added to whatever the price will end up being, sounds like the local $600ish looks pretty good.
    3. Appreciate your time, thanks gunner!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hoosier Armory:

Colt Cobra (First Issue) in 38SPL 2" Square butt (On early models) High Blue Finish at 95% Very little holster wear around the muzzle. Bore is in excellent condition, lands and grooves are very prominent. Very light carbon around forcing cone and cylinder. Lightweight alloy frame. After market rubber grip, original colt wood grips. Mfg year 1975 per Colt web site. No original box, leather holster included. This is a vintage firearm that would be a great addition to your collection.
    $900

7884407_01_used_colt_cobra_95_very_nice__640.jpg

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Hoosier Armory:

Colt Cobra (First Issue) in 38SPL 2" Square butt (On early models) High Blue Finish at 95% Very little holster wear around the muzzle. Bore is in excellent condition, lands and grooves are very prominent. Very light carbon around forcing cone and cylinder. Lightweight alloy frame. After market rubber grip, original colt wood grips. Mfg year 1975 per Colt web site. No original box, leather holster included. This is a vintage firearm that would be a great addition to your collection.
    $900

7884407_01_used_colt_cobra_95_very_nice__640.jpg

This should be in the classifieds, with "in-focus" pics.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hoosier Armory is a second rate shop at best, if they want to advertise they can be site sponsors. Go away with this endless crap

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think Hoosier Armory posted this.
    It was doddg that did, I believe he was just using it as a reference.

Yep.

On another note, I have no idea of the relative value of these old Colts or differences in models, etc, besides that I will never buy one, but there is one in the classies now from 1973 for half the price of the one posted here in this thread and looks like it is in good shape.

Again, not something I'd buy due to having no interest in Colt. I'm not posting the link, you guys can go see it in the classies easy enough.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have no interest in Colt products either.
    There are other companies that make better AR's and 1911's as well as revolvers.
    I do know the old Colt revolvers were notorious for getting "out of time", which could explain why when one comes up for sale, they have rarely been fired.
    I know some of that is because of the "collectability" of Pythons etc.

I suspect some of it may be that the owner is afraid to shoot it, for fear of getting it out of time, and then finding someone to repair it.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This should be in the classifieds, with "in-focus" pics.

1. I'm not selling it: just trying to be helpful in getting out prices and availability out there since this thread was about that.
    2. Next time I will simply refer to it w/o a pic if that is preferable.

Hoosier Armory is a second rate shop at best, if they want to advertise they can be site sponsors. Go away with this endless crap

3. Consider crap dumped.

I don't think Hoosier Armory posted this.
    It was doddg that did, I believe he was just using it as a reference.

4. Read above. :laugh:

Yep.

5. See #4 :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was at 3 gun shops today.
    I had a used Colt Cobra (of the new variety) in my hand.
    It was a snug as a bug in a rug, but, then again, so was a Ruger that I also had in my hand.
    Lovely feel, with 6 shots, nice Stainless (or whatever they're using).
    It was $625. I would have bought it just b/c of beauty, the 6 shot, Stainless, feel of it, but the constant low-level pain I am in made my keep my senses (10th day after hip replacement :fogey:).
    But, as a CC, it is too big for my pocket holster, where my Smith 642 hammerless is perfect for it (or my ankle holster).
    From past experience, I know I could have gotten it for $600, maybe $550 or $575, but I have no need: BUT I WANT IT!!!!!

Actual pic online from their shop (which I'm not allowed to mention, :laugh: ).
    convert
    convert
    convert

Last edited:
    Top Bottom