• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I was hoping when I saw this thread back up, that one had been spotted in the wild. I am still looking.

Hickock45 just did a review of the one supplied to him by Bud's Guns. You may want to check slickguns on a daily basis to see who has them.

Side note: I'm not sure if Hickock45 was just off his long game or the sights of the Cobra were off, but he could not hit anything at distance with the Cobra. I have seen other videos where he shot many short barreled pistols and did just fine. My guess is that the fixed sights of the Cobra gave it a left of center POI that just gets more exaggerated with distance... All of his shots had a leftward bias.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well that doesn't bode well. He is a good shot with just about anything, so I can't imagine the problem was on his end.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well I found a new colt cobra it's at Inlaws and outlaws gun shop and range in Gas City Indiana which is not a bad drive after you get out of Hamilton county. This gun shop has a great indoor range, there prices are very good and a lot of inventory. Do not know the price. Just thought I would give you guys a good place to see it. They will give you a price over the phone.
    I would have keep this a secret if I did not just buy a new plastic soulless gun.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Was able to look at one at Top Guns a few weeks ago. Very nice pistol. Very smooth trigger pull. Did not like the feel of the pistol from the standpoint of the original Cobra being an aluminum frame that was very light and meant for cc. The steel frame of the current Cobra is good but I was expecting a lighter revolver, similar to the original. The Hogue like grips were very pleasing to the hand. Being a little more old school, I would prefer a set of wood grips for aesthetics. I would have bought one that day, but had already purchased a FNS 40 that they had on sale at the time and did not have an additional $600. Hoping that Colt brings out a few double action revolvers in 22 lr; .357 mag; and 44 mag to give Ruger and S&W some competition.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    FFKCa5Y.jpg

Well, I found one. I said I would be a beta tester, and I'm a man of my word. I went out and quickly shot 24 rounds this evening. The one I have has an excellent trigger, both double and single action. I was shooting a little to the left though. I'm not sure if it was me or the gun, but I'll see if I can figure it out when I have time this weekend.

Those of you that have had older Colts, the finish on these new Cobras can't touch the finish of any Colt revolver from years past. Probably to costly for them to put that level of detail in a gun today. That's sad too. Those old Colts were as pleasant to look at as they were to shoot.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, I found one. I said I would be a beta tester, and I'm a man of my word. I went out and quickly shot 24 rounds this evening. The one I have has an excellent trigger, both double and single action. I was shooting a little to the left though. I'm not sure if it was me or the gun, but I'll see if I can figure it out when I have time this weekend.

Those of you that have had older Colts, the finish on these new Cobras can't touch the finish of any Colt revolver from years past. Probably to costly for them to put that level of detail in a gun today. That's sad too. Those old Colts were as pleasant to look at as they were to shoot.

Pop the sideplate off, I've really been curious how much different they are now

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I handled one at my lgs a month ago, thought it was pretty slick! It's not a smooth as my old Python but I think we'd be kidding ourselves to think it would be. Nice wheel gun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For those who can't wait, I just saw this at Hoosier Armory in Noblesville (they moved from Carmel):

For Sale: NIB - Colt Cobra .38 Special Revolver

$ 680

Colt's Legendary Double-Action Revolvers Return
    The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. Its small frame and 2" barrel make it ideal for concealed carry. The Cobra® features all-steel construction, as well as a rubber wrapped grip that's been moved rearward to help manage recoil. The Cobra® is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. This firearm was designed to meet the needs of new shooters and seasoned professionals alike. It's easy and enjoyable to shoot, easy to carry, and draws from the fine lineage that make Colt revolvers special.

BUY HERE: COLT COBRA .38 SPL

Features
    Fiber Optic Front Sight
    LL2™ Trigger System
    Colt Branded Rubber Grip
    .38 Special (+P Capable), Six Round Capacity
    2" Barrel Length
    COLT MODEL COBRA-SM2FO

7073933_02_nib_colt_cobra_38_special_revo_640.jpg

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I got mine out again this past weekend. Out of all my guns, this might be the one I shoot the worst. While shooting, I actually began to wonder if there was something wrong with it. When I got home, I cleaned it up good then stuck it in the back of my safe because I really don't know when I'll ever feel like shooting it again. Usually I don't sell or trade in guns, but this thing is now a prime candidate to go bye-bye.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got mine out again this past weekend. Out of all my guns, this might be the one I shoot the worst. While shooting, I actually began to wonder if there was something wrong with it. When I got home, I cleaned it up good then stuck it in the back of my safe because I really don't know when I'll ever feel like shooting it again. Usually I don't sell or trade in guns, but this thing is now a prime candidate to go bye-bye.

You should just leave it in the safe for when Colt inevitably discontinues it like they always do.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For those who can't wait, I just saw this at Hoosier Armory in Noblesville (they moved from Carmel):
    For Sale: NIB - Colt Cobra .38 Special Revolver
    $ 680
    Colt's Legendary Double-Action Revolvers Return

7073933_02_nib_colt_cobra_38_special_revo_640.jpg

1. Here I am responding to my own post again (trying to give updated info)
    2. I took a trip up to Hoosier Armory b/c I wanted to check out a used Colt older Cobra and to compare it in the hand with the new one that is under discussion.
    3. They said they hadn't had a new one in 4 months (I have to be careful when I look at their site and insure that it is "available in store, available online, or not available).
    4. Sorry about that: lesson learned.
    5. And, for my punishment, when I drove 40 minutes up there to see a used Colt Cobra, it had sold and it either had not been updated yet or I didn't notice when I saw it under "Used Guns" that even though listed, it had sold and not been removed yet: it has happened to me before when I went there to buy a gun.
    6. You think I'd learn.
    7. There was a S/W used hammer .38 that I was interested in, but it had sold already also.
    8. I consoled myself by buying some 22LR Hi-Velocity ammo they had on sale, just to support my LGS. :laugh:
    9. I even took cash with me so if I bought something I wouldn't have to pay the 3% credit card fee (yes, I'm that cheap/thrify :ugh:). I have stopped by unprepared a few times and bought w/o having cash on me.
    10. I then went over to Marksman Shooting in Westfield to see if they had any used guns that had not been listed yet. They sell so quickly there (b/c of great used prices) by the time I see them listed and before I can get to the store: they have sold.
    11. I did see a gun online there that I would have bought (I'd been curious about it), but it sells for nearly new when used $300+/-, but he sold one for $190.
    I'm not going to say what it was b/c of negative comments that would ensue: due to displeasure in my interest in the .380 round that I haven't "outgrown" yet. :dunno:
    12. He did have a plethora of CZ surplus ($330) there and their .380 felt good in the hand, but for the size, I'd want to stretch out and simply get the Beretta 84 SS with wood handles like I saw here but we were $100 apart on price. One of the few guns that I wanted just b/c of "the look," and name, and 13 rounds.
    But, paying more for a .380 than I paid for the Ruger SR 1911 .45 acp did not seem logical.
    13. After last weekend selling off $500 of my old space Sci-Fi comics, and a follow-up of selling over $300 yesterday had given me a little cash, but everytime I see something I am interested in, I have been justifying not getting it b/c of what I have.
    14. Example: I had a beautuful 19-5 in my hand:
    Smith & Wesson USED - S&W 19-5 Revolver, Nickel, .357 Magnum, Target Grips, Trigger and Hammer
    PRODUCT CODE : ICN8241
    $700.00
    https://www.filepicker.io/api/file/wP0kwARSs2Xz9phy78mk/convert?cache=true&h=150&w=230
    convert

but, since I had the Ruger Security Six (which I love) SS, 6 shot with wood handles at home with after subtracting 2+ boxes of free ammo (some rounds of personal defense as well) from the $425 price down to below $400: :rockwoot:, I am not tempted (OK, I did have to hold it and appreciate it).
    15. I sold a gun to a guy from Greenfield that I had talked to before and he had some really nice older revolvers that I cold be tempted to buy, I hope he's not reading this :lmfao:.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I got mine out again this past weekend. Out of all my guns, this might be the one I shoot the worst. While shooting, I actually began to wonder if there was something wrong with it.

It's possible it's the gun. There are already reports of hit-and-miss QC and accuracy issues. Have someone else shoot it, try different ammo, go from there.

Taken from another forum:

When it came to trigger time it shot smooth and well but accuracy was abominable. The indoor range was limited to 50 feet. A hair over 16 yards. Using factory 158gr lead round nose my DS and 638 easily gave me DA groups of 3 inches and nicely centered. The Cobra was so far right that only three rounds hit the edge of the paper and those three rounds were 9+ inches. It was shooting a foot right and with a 9 to 10 inch group for me and the range manager. Same result with some Remington 125gr +P JHP.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's possible it's the gun. There are already reports of hit-and-miss QC and accuracy issues. Have someone else shoot it, try different ammo, go from there.

Taken from another forum:

Believe me, I tried everything. Ammo wise, I had some American Eagle, S&B, plus reloads and none of it made a difference. I also had a 45 year old J Frame with me that was dead nuts accurate. That makes me almost certain the gun has accuracy problems. What do you do with something like that? I'm obviously pretty disgusted at the moment. I can't in good conscience dump this problematic SOB off on anyone else.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Believe me, I tried everything. Ammo wise, I had some American Eagle, S&B, plus reloads and none of it made a difference. I also had a 45 year old J Frame with me that was dead nuts accurate. That makes me almost certain the gun has accuracy problems. What do you do with something like that? I'm obviously pretty disgusted at the moment. I can't in good conscience dump this problematic SOB off on anyone else.

Contact Colt, see what they will do. I'd shoot it off a rest/sand bag, photo the target, and then contact their customer service.

Top Bottom