• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You cannot design your defense around the offense getting a big lead early, its just not feasible in the playoffs when you play the best of the best. That is the reason they got beat so often in the playoffs. Frequently by less talented teams.

02 - 41-0 drubbing by Jets
    03 - Lost @ Pats in AFC title game (good season)
    04 - 20-3 to pats in 2nd rd (should have been closer)
    05 - Loss @ home to 6 seed Steelers
    06 - Won SB
    07 - Loss to SD without Rivers or Tomlinson
    08- Loss @ home to Chargers

4 out of seven years they lost in the first round

This is incorrect. Dungy's defense in Tampa was one of the NFL's best. It was the offense that got him fired.

Statistically, Dungy's tenure with the Colts is better than most coaches that have ever coached in the NFL. Looking at records

There are parts of both of your arguments that I would definitely agree with.

While not a Colts fan, I would of jumped on the opportunity to have T. Dungy coach the team I have followed for over 3 decades ( Browns)...

Comparing the Tampa 2 from his days at Tampa is all together different to what was put on the field in Indy. Like Dark Shadow stated, that team in Indy could not win come playoff time against the better teams due to their defense. I would blame this not on the Tampa 2 design, but rather the lack of talent the Colts had on that side of the ball. The team simply relied on Manning playing a perfect game and the defense just going after the opposing QB trying to play catch up. If the game was close, the Colts usually got into trouble.

Like Kutnupe stated, in Tampa it was the defense that carried the day. Again, you can't compare the (2) defenses. This defense was built a little different and at Tampa, money was spent primarily on this side of the ball. Remember the names such as Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, Donnie Abraham, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, and Derrick Brooks ? Wouldn't it be interesting if the Colts had just one or 2 of this caliber player/players to go along with Freeny and Mathis ?

Until I ever hear it was Dungy that petitioned to use so many first round picks on offense or spend the majority the the cap on offense, I just can't hold him responsible. I feel he did the best he could and quite honestly, got the defense to play at or over their heads with what they had.

I won't even go into their kick coverage units many of these same years other than to say I again feel this was caused due to having the bulk of their cap spent on one side of the ball.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Caldwell does'nt coach he inherited a great team and just rode it along for a couple of years. I hate it because he is a nice guy but a head coach, I don't think so. Even losing your star quarterback should'nt make it this bad with the talent they have on the team. There will be tons of rumors from here til next season. Just sit back and take nothing for granted. I personally wish Goodell would get fired and a bunch of MAMBY PAMBY rules officials with him. And while we are at it lets toss out these stinkin bandwagon fans. I was a Colts fan back when we were 3 and 13 and I still am. These bums that are all the sudden turning on them makes me sick.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I was always razzed about being a bandwagon Yankees fan, until I got the NY logo tattooed on my arm! :lmfao:

Back on topic. The news conference at 1700 will be interesting. I am interested to see if the firings include Caldwell!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Horrible defensive philosophy. The Tampa 2 is a joke and is designed around small/fast players and they inevitably get hurt and cannot stop the run. The Colts are still to this day dealing with his garbage defensive philosophy. You cannot design your defense around the offense getting a big lead early, its just not feasible in the playoffs when you play the best of the best. That is the reason they got beat so often in the playoffs. Frequently by less talented teams.

02 - 41-0 drubbing by Jets
    03 - Lost @ Pats in AFC title game (good season)
    04 - 20-3 to pats in 2nd rd (should have been closer)
    05 - Loss @ home to 6 seed Steelers
    06 - Won SB
    07 - Loss to SD without Rivers or Tomlinson
    08- Loss @ home to Chargers

4 out of seven years they lost in the first round

Well lets see here....

02, lost to the Jets, poor over all performance, entire team fault
    03, lost to the Pats, they won the Super Bowl
    04, lost to the Pats, they won the Super Bowl
    05, Lost to the Steelers, they won the Super Bowl
    06, We finally knocked off the block and won
    07, lost to Chargers, Rivers PLAYED, was 14-19 264yds & 2td's, Tomlison WAS there, But Turner got the carries and yards
    08 Lost to the Chargers

When it comes to the Playoffs, every team is good or they would not be there, 3 of those years we was beat by the Super Bowl Champion.

So of the 7 above games, 3 we was beat by the SB champs, was SB champ and shot ourselves in the foot once (Jets) and with the 2 games against the Chargers able to go both ways (SD was no slouch those 2 years).

I think in 2008 our so called defensive built around our offensive policy, set the standard for FEWEST TD passes ever allowed, 5, defense went down year since then under Caldwell.

When you get to playoff football there is no dominate team when you line up across from each other, ask the Patriots who got biotch slapped by the Giants in the Super Bowl in their perfect season attempt. It's a 50/50 shot in the dark, you just hope that you have the leg up on the other team when the clock reads 0:00

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    With Polians gone, this will open up the chance to fire Caldwell as well. As stated before, he was not the coach, Peyton was. I hope they do relieve Caldwell of his "duties." I use quotes because he never really did anything. Very docile and boring coach anyway. I'd really like to see a Bill Cowher at the helms. And I would guarantee a flip in the Def we have. We have a very talented Def, but they are just too small and the D-line is made to rush, not stop the run (which is what always kills us). But it's the hurry up and wait game at this point. Irsay (a person whom I cannot stand, wish he would fire himself) is holding a news conference at 5:00 PM to discuss "firings and other changes" so let's hope this gets interesting.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is incorrect. Dungy's defense in Tampa was one of the NFL's best. It was the offense that got him fired.

Statistically, Dungy's tenure with the Colts is better than most coaches that have ever coached in the NFL. Looking at records

I guess Dungy coaching for most of the decade as we set the record for most wins ever by a team in a decade was just smoke and mirror according to some people.

:dunno:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I guess Dungy coaching for most of the decade as we set the record for most wins ever by a team in a decade was just smoke and mirror according to some people.

I'm not really sure why everyone is focusing so much on Dungy? He quit, remember?

ETA: I do think Dungy was a good coach, but I think having Peyton Manning helping on Offense made him a great coach!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

I've never understood that line of thinking either. We couldn't wait to get rid of him for some reason. I don't think we realized how good we had it.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've never understood that line of thinking either. We couldn't wait to get rid of him for some reason. I don't think we realized how good we had it.
    Again, we didn't get rid of him. He left us. He retired. People were sad. Irsay asked him to stay. He left us.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

That's exactly it. 90% of the fans in the NFL would have loved to had our streak when Dungy was at the helm.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Again, we didn't get rid of him. He left us. He retired. People were sad. Irsay asked him to stay. He left us.

I never said we got rid of him. I said we couldn't wait to get rid of him. That's all anyone talked about, when he was here. "When will he finally go so we can get a real coach?"

Plenty of people I talked to from other NFL cities couldn't understand why we weren't happy with double digit wins every year and a superbowl.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    Well....maybe 2014. But, in Theo we trust!

Theo Epstein to the Cubs---Greatest move Cubs have made in 150 years!! I'm a Braves fan, but am a bigger competitive baseball fan. Let's up they will finally step up and do something!!

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I am a HUGE Colts fan...and as much as it pains me to say it, the higher ups got what they deserved, this is Peytons 14th year....how long did they think he would last without findnig a good backup?

They were insistant on giving Peyton the biggest contract ever given in the NFL....coulda used some of that money toward a good backup...so you need to point the finger up high.

I dont think they should ditch Caldwell yet, lets see what he does next season.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ask the Bucs about Dungy...

He leaves and they win the Super Bowl.....they had a great defense but never an offense. Always out early in the playoffs.

They fire him and shows up in Indy where they had a QB that could lead the offense...

Dungy wasn't all that....Even under him, Indy would have been a <.500 team without Peyton.

As demonstrated by this season, Manning was the reason for the Colts success. I used to joke that the Colts should just start every game as if it was the second half and they were down by 14.

Top Bottom