• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While it might be fun to build, it would seem impractical to me. A combat bug out bag would be most useful in the home or other defensive location. The idea of fighting yourself out of an area, would to me, imply that SHTF big time, and if you're away from your "home base" you cannot be 100% confident you can make it back. Unless you like eating bullets and kevlar, I thing the tradition BOB (or "raper bag" as my GF calls it) is the way to go.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yes. I have multiple non-firearm tools designed to defeat Lando Calrissian types that I may come across as I make my way back to my "home base" because I have every intention to make it there.

For instance: SOG-Fusion-Tactical-Tomahawk-600x512.jpg

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    "A bug-out bag is a portable kit that normally contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours, when evacuating from a disaster, however some kits are designed to last longer periods of time than just 72 hours."

I would argue that combat weapons of any type are a obvious addition to a BOB as I see a carbine/ shotgun / pistol and specific items to those platforms as vital to my survival. For me it all comes down to prioritizing. What items do I need available to me on a daily basis. This of course changes with how far away from home base that I am during the event in which I must "deploy" my BOB.

For me - my BOB and EDC work in conjunction at all times and both change depending on my distance from home. I simply do not travel "long distances" from home anymore without a long gun. To much going on in this world to find myself delayed or trapped in a situation that I wish I had a carbine and don't. Its set up in a bag with other BOB type items and gets thrown in the trunk upon leaving.

It may take room away from a few items that I would normally carry in a BOB but simply put - having a combat tool gives me the means to acquire those items if need be...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "A bug-out bag is a portable kit that normally contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours, when evacuating from a disaster, however some kits are designed to last longer periods of time than just 72 hours."

I would argue that combat weapons of any type are a obvious addition to a BOB as I see a carbine/ shotgun / pistol and specific items to those platforms as vital to my survival. For me it all comes down to prioritizing. What items do I need available to me on a daily basis. This of course changes with how far away from home base that I am during the event in which I must "deploy" my BOB.

For me - my BOB and EDC work in conjunction at all times and both change depending on my distance from home. I simply do not travel "long distances" from home anymore without a long gun. To much going on in this world to find myself delayed or trapped in a situation that I wish I had a carbine and don't. Its set up in a bag with other BOB type items and gets thrown in the trunk upon leaving.

It may take room away from a few items that I would normally carry in a BOB but simply put - having a combat tool gives me the means to acquire those items if need be...

Perhaps there's a confusion based on terminology, as I view a "combat" loadout quite differently than a bug out loadout.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You guys ever put together a combat focused version of a bug out bag? In the case that you had to fight your way out of your area
    I pretty much carry that on me everywhere I go. EDC, ample mags, knife, cord, simple First Aid kit.
    I have a fairly decent bug out bag and combat bag in the car and Jeep both.
    There will never be what you want but just enough can save your bacon if played right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I pretty much carry that on me everywhere I go. EDC, ample mags, knife, cord, simple First Aid kit.
    I have a fairly decent bug out bag and combat bag in the car and Jeep both.
    There will never be what you want but just enough can save your bacon if played right.

And what happens if your vehicle ends up disabled, and you're in a remote place when disaster strikes, which bad would you lean towards taking if you had time huff it?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Perhaps there's a confusion based on terminology, as I view a "combat" loadout quite differently than a bug out loadout.

I took the OP's question as to mean does anyone integrate combat weapons into a BOB essentially. So my answer was based on my interpretation of that question. I'll agree that a BOB and Combat loadout are different animals and I don't think the OP was referring to a Combat Loadout. So my point was that I personally am willing to forgo a few items in a "normal" BOB and replace them with some combat weapons.

And what happens if your vehicle ends up disabled, and you're in a remote place when disaster strikes, which bad would you lean towards taking if you had time huff it?

I can't think of a better situation where I damn well hope I have some firepower at my disposal. This is EXACTLY what I gear myself for. I simply can't imagine being in this situation and not having the ability to KEEP my gear from others that want it too and are willing to bring bodily harm to me or the individuals with me in order to get it.

Like you said - its probably a terminology difference / understanding but to me - a BOB simply INCLUDES defensive tools that help me survive for the next few days till I can get home / into a better position. Where as I am sure that not every ones BOB are the exact same. I guarantee that you can name a piece of gear that you find essential that someone else would say is not to them. To me - a weapon is essential survival gear.

I do not see how a BOB that has a focus of including combat items is impractical by any means. I can easily see a situation occurring that requires one to depart their current location for another and the need to defend themselves while doing so.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Especially nowadays, with porous borders and jihadis threatening - and according to some sources, planning - for terror operations here in the US, I like to have a quick-reaction kit. I also have a bugout bag.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'm seldom in remote areas as I'm normally in the Indy area. That being said, I know of several bike racks where I could borrow a bike and huff the 15-miles or so to get home. Might take 2-hours or less depending on catching the green lights.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm seldom in remote areas as I'm normally in the Indy area. That being said, I know of several bike racks where I could borrow a bike and huff the 15-miles or so to get home. Might take 2-hours or less depending on catching the green lights.

I could be mistaken, but in a real SHTF with armed individuals about, I would think a plan to steal your way home would be a poor one?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I could be mistaken, but in a real SHTF with armed individuals about, I would think a plan to steal your way home would be a poor one?

Agreed.

I'm taking a look at what DWS had to say. I travel >50 miles from home often, having a carbine in your LR GHB preps seems reasonable.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Why would you not have a rifle? Best tool for the job, if that situation comes to be.

Transporting a carbine with 100 rounds in the vehicle would be easy. If you had to hoof it, throw the carbine over your shoulder and put the 100 rounds in your GHB. Three 30 round mags, yes?

Top Bottom