• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    "Fight your way out" of an area? Like it's you against gangs of people, as in a video game? I guess I just don't understand where people get their expectations of what they are likely to face in a real emergency situation. Ferguson, LA, Baltimore, Katrina, etc., I have yet to find any stories where there was interpersonal warfare in the streets. Widespread looting, property damage, etc., but no Red Dawn stuff. Historically in these situations there is nothing that would lead me to think I need a combat BOB to deal with full-on warfare. If anyone has credible links to information that would prove that there were mass shootouts or something of that nature, I'd be interested in reading it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    "Fight your way out" of an area? Like it's you against gangs of people, as in a video game? I guess I just don't understand where people get their expectations of what they are likely to face in a real emergency situation. Ferguson, LA, Baltimore, Katrina, etc., I have yet to find any stories where there was interpersonal warfare in the streets. Widespread looting, property damage, etc., but no Red Dawn stuff. Historically in these situations there is nothing that would lead me to think I need a combat BOB to deal with full-on warfare. If anyone has credible links to information that would prove that there were mass shootouts or something of that nature, I'd be interested in reading it.

Ya know, I appreciate that you're calling out that we are speculating. But to be honest, regardless of what the situation turns out to be, I want to be the winner. So, if I have to imagine the worst case scenario (that by your point has never happened), so be it. If I have more firepower than I need to get back to my "home base", fine. I win.

In desperate times, people do desperate things. You nor I have any idea what could come of a significant earthquake (plausible) or a regional power grid failure (plausible). If you want to say it won't ever happen, help yourself friend.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Transporting a carbine with 100 rounds in the vehicle would be easy. If you had to hoof it, throw the carbine over your shoulder and put the 100 rounds in your GHB. Three 30 round mags, yes?

In the big scheme of things, mags and ammo are cheap. You can always leave them if you cannot carry them, but you can't :poop: them if you run out. I like the idea of the discrete carry bag with six mags and other basic "oh no" stuff.

Having the rifle might help with your decision to leave your vehicle and possessions or wait a bit longer to see if a path clears.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For the record, no one has illustrated what I would consider a true "combat" bag. Call me crazy but a combat bag would be used for..... combat. 100 rounds ain't goin to do it for me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What would be in your true "combat" bag?

A typical bug out bag provides for 72 hours right? Ok, so let's apply that to a combat bag. That would entail rifle, pistol, hundreds of rounds, 12 rifle mags min, 6 pistol mags, helmet, gas mask, first aid kit, body armor/plates, tactical boots, meals, water, flashlights (full and small sized), cleaning kit, change of clothing, rain gear, blanket, knife, fire source.....etc, etc. Most people will not have the ability to hump this stuff, along with their regular bug out bag. It's simply too much weight, making it impractical to travel with, and better suited for the home.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You nor I have any idea what could come of a significant earthquake (plausible) or a regional power grid failure (plausible). If you want to say it won't ever happen, help yourself friend.

I guess my point wasn't that I guarantee it will NEVER happen, only that it's extremely unlikely based on past history. To be honest, I think Katrina was a much more dire situation than your hypothetical earthquake or power grid failure. That's only an opinion based on what I read of the Katrina situation and what those folks faced. My understanding of this thread is that you're at work, something big happens, and you need to get home. From past incidents, there is a good chance the roads may be shut down, impassable, or clogged with traffic. If you live close enough that you can easily walk the distance carrying a bunch of combat gear, then I see no reason not do so. Heck, carry an alien raygun and two years' back issues of Field and Stream if your situation allows it. A guy I used to work with had a commute of about 100+ miles and he wasn't in the best shape. That guy should be carrying the bare basics of food, water, weather gear, etc. to be able to get home in one piece. Carrying an AR15 with a bunch of extra mags and stuff would only be another straw on that camel's back and probably the least useful resources for him to carry. Each of us has to assess his/her own situation and needs. For me, I'm going to stick to the basics and blend in. As Kut posted above, you probably can't carry both. Are you going to be more likely to need food, water, and shelter, or guns and ammo? If you are able to carry both, then do it.

By the way, I'm not trying to be a jerk to anybody. A lot of folks only have so many resources and so much space in the trunk for things that may really come in handy some day. "Stuff" costs money, has specific weight to pack around, and specific utility. Look at all points of view before you decide what to include.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another idea of why the rifle and a decent round count might be handy is what you might run into when you arrive back home in SHTF. It might be better to have that rifle in your own hand rather than looking down the muzzle of it?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    If the grey man concept is being thrown out by having a slung rifle on your back or chest. I would want a plate carrier/load bearing vest or a combat belt. Then a small pack with a camel back (I'm always thirsty).

Rape bag, lol... duct tape, trash bags, rope, knives and a folding shovel, why would a woman ever make jokes. If someone adds a bag of lime, just run.

It seems the idea of taking what you need to get home has been loosely mentioned, that is why we think we might need a combat load out. Not to take, but to keep.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Another idea of why the rifle and a decent round count might be handy is what you might run into when you arrive back home in SHTF. It might be better to have that rifle in your own hand rather than looking down the muzzle of it?

You actually bring up a good point. I personally don't have one, but this is one of the reasons people have hidden caches off-property.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    You actually bring up a good point. I personally don't have one, but this is one of the reasons people have hidden caches off-property.

This made me think about this video series. This is from back in the day when Yeager put out good information for free. I'm sure he still puts up good stuff, but there is a lot to wade through to get good content.

The idea of if you can't use it, your loved ones can is great.

[video=youtube;sC5-lyBV97o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC5-lyBV97o[/video]

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    As I have stated - I think the purpose of the original question (only the OP can specify) was designing a combat focused BOB. Not a separate bag to a BOB but one that combines both elements. We can all sit around and discuss whether this is something that is useful or not all day long and never actually come to an agreement. Everyone's situations (physical, mental and geographically) differ and only they can determine what they feel is useful in a bag built for emergencies. Emergencies are regional and what you need in Lick Skillet, Virginia is most likely different than what I might need when passing thru Hungry Horse, Montana if you get my drift.

I think we can all agree that we would all love the ability to have with us every thing we may need, all of the time and then in the moment of truth pick; what we need and go with it. Essentially that video game concept where your man can magically carry everything he picks up along the way and has it at his disposal. Clearly not possible which is the point of setting up our respective bags of doom.

In all of the emergency situations we have witnessed over the years I can't say that there has been anyone trying to ruck it out of town all the while having to engage hostile targets by any means. However - I can guarantee that there have been individuals that have had to use firearms to defend themselves, their families and their belongings amidst the turmoil. The questions remains that if your in the middle of this type of emergency and this situation arises - do you have on your person what it takes to quell the threat? What about if your trying to get home or leave home during an event onset? ("Well awesome - I made it back to my home. Oh great - so did the looters")

Like I said - I took the OP to mean a BOB with some weapons integrated into it. I would think its easy enough to tuck in a full size handgun and a handful of mags to assist in providing force security along the way or when you get to where your going.Certainly a handgun and a few mags isn't what anyone would consider "Combat Optimum" by any means but I think its safe to assume we are not discussing actual combat load outs and are simply theorizing about having a solid weapon platform integrated into a BOB for handling threats if they occur.

I guess the question is simply whether an individual is willing to prepare for an emergency situation and simply discount that there may be a physical threat to him during his travels. For me and what I have seen on the job and understanding what "normal" society is capable of doing in emergency situations - I'm not willing to accept that as long as I appear harmless to someone else and that I am simply passing thru trying to get home - that they will leave me or my resources alone. More importantly - what if my travels are taking me thru the boonies and I am left to my own devices for an extended period of time because I simply CAN'T pack out? I'll take the ability to provide myself with fresh MEAT any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I prefer the layered affect when it comes to my gear. 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line type of system. The further I move outside of my home range the more I take with me. The carbine is essentially 3rd line type gear and the likely hood of ever needing to grab my it from behind the seat of my truck is pretty much non existent and perhaps I would be better off using that space for additional resources. However - I am not one to pour a big cup of "won't happen here" and ignore the possibility. I'll bet that a large percent of us will go thru this life and NEVER have the need to deploy our BOB (regardless of what it contains) in an actual dire situation to begin with. The same thing can pretty much be said for carrying concealed as well - but I'll choose to have and not need than to need and not have.

This is why I love forums and these discussions - the mental gymnastics are good to keep you reevaluating your gear and your needs. Good thread.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not a separate bag to a BOB but one that combines both elements....

This is why I love forums and these discussions - the mental gymnastics are good to keep you reevaluating your gear and your needs. Good thread.

That's a long post, so I distilled it down to the parts I most agree with. :) (Not that I really disagree with any of it.)

I think both a BOB and a GHB need to have a weaponry component, but they have different emphasis. Within the realistic end of the spectrum, my GHB accessories focus on defense. I'm not picking a fight. With sufficient SA, the main plan will be to go around any hot spots, not through them. So, the question becomes capacity v. need.

For a BOB, I think there is more of an offensive emphasis - whether that's "offensive" in terms of fighting or hunting. It means Home Base is not a viable option, so there is great uncertainty as to what the needs might be.

That's just how I approach the issue.

Having said that, I do have a "trunk gun" AR that I sometimes throw into... the trunk, along with my EDC that I consider part of my GHB. One of those, better to have it and not need it things.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Take a look at James Yeager's Minute Man video series. It may not fit neatly in the OP or other's opinions, but it gave me some insight into putting together a set of gear. I ultimately have put some stuff together aside from my BOB, but I am not done learning which will involve adding/removing and tweaking.
    I think I may end up having a rubber made tote that has a bag in it with the stuff that I would always want, and then some smaller pouch like bags in it to add to the default. As I am not sure what the climate, or "mission" would be for a combat situation, the loadout could change. As a perhaps silly example...a neighborhood patrol may just need a chest rig and some other stuff, but some sort of recon, or other away from the nest situation may require some shelter and/or food. Keep in mind this is one of the many opinions and I do not have military training.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I guess my point wasn't that I guarantee it will NEVER happen, only that it's extremely unlikely based on past history. To be honest, I think Katrina was a much more dire situation than your hypothetical earthquake or power grid failure. That's only an opinion based on what I read of the Katrina situation and what those folks faced. My understanding of this thread is that you're at work, something big happens, and you need to get home. From past incidents, there is a good chance the roads may be shut down, impassable, or clogged with traffic. If you live close enough that you can easily walk the distance carrying a bunch of combat gear, then I see no reason not do so. Heck, carry an alien raygun and two years' back issues of Field and Stream if your situation allows it. A guy I used to work with had a commute of about 100+ miles and he wasn't in the best shape. That guy should be carrying the bare basics of food, water, weather gear, etc. to be able to get home in one piece. Carrying an AR15 with a bunch of extra mags and stuff would only be another straw on that camel's back and probably the least useful resources for him to carry. Each of us has to assess his/her own situation and needs. For me, I'm going to stick to the basics and blend in. As Kut posted above, you probably can't carry both. Are you going to be more likely to need food, water, and shelter, or guns and ammo? If you are able to carry both, then do it.

By the way, I'm not trying to be a jerk to anybody. A lot of folks only have so many resources and so much space in the trunk for things that may really come in handy some day. "Stuff" costs money, has specific weight to pack around, and specific utility. Look at all points of view before you decide what to include.

You are spot on. I must admit I am speaking from my perspective and that is closed minded. I am fortunate in that I can hump a good amount of weight for a long distance. I also must say that this thread has caused me and OkieGirl to reevaluate our auto preps. We have commuted to work together for about a year and it dawned on us that her GHB sits in her car in the garage, completely useless to us if we needed to walk home.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Transporting a carbine with 100 rounds in the vehicle would be easy. If you had to hoof it, throw the carbine over your shoulder and put the 100 rounds in your GHB. Three 30 round mags, yes?

For a quick response bag, I'd feel "comfortable" with 90+ rounds; for a "combat" loadout; I'd want at least 6 + 1, with maybe some extra ammo thrown in the pack.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    For a quick response bag, I'd feel "comfortable" with 90+ rounds; for a "combat" loadout; I'd want at least 6 + 1, with maybe some extra ammo thrown in the pack.

In this scenario I think loadout is relative to days out. I'm +/- 6 hours out, so I would be ok with 3 mags. YMMV.

6+1 AR mags... Someone is reverting to their military days and the traditional basic load? ;)

As they should be, right?

Top Bottom