• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    If I were to ever use my gear to bug out I am completely self-sufficient up to 240 hours (tested at 240 hours in Maine wilderness). Adding a combat load out is as simple as grabbing the AK, the pistol and the chest rig, and stepping out the door. My chest rig holds four 30 round mags, four 20 round mags, and four pistol mag; more than enough to defend myself if I cannot avoid a conflict.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If I were to ever use my gear to bug out I am completely self-sufficient up to 240 hours (tested at 240 hours in Maine wilderness). Adding a combat load out is as simple as grabbing the AK, the pistol and the chest rig, and stepping out the door. My chest rig holds four 30 round mags, four 20 round mags, and four pistol mag; more than enough to defend myself if I cannot avoid a conflict.

Simplicity. I like it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    Granted that's a about 60 pounds of survival gear and another 10 pounds of ammunition, but total self-sufficiency is what is required in Katrina/Syrian Civil War style disasters. The good news is deep-wilderness packs (typically 80 liters) are designed to be modular, and often have parts of the packs that can be used as three day packs. The other tip I have is avoid military-style clothes, they are heavy and take eons to dry, and take up more room than they are worth. Getting soaked at a bad time can really hurt you out in the wild. Get synthetic backpacking clothes instead, they are lighter and will dry in minutes on a cold day.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A typical bug out bag provides for 72 hours right? Ok, so let's apply that to a combat bag. That would entail rifle, pistol, hundreds of rounds, 12 rifle mags min, 6 pistol mags, helmet, gas mask, first aid kit, body armor/plates, tactical boots, meals, water, flashlights (full and small sized), cleaning kit, change of clothing, rain gear, blanket, knife, fire source.....etc, etc. Most people will not have the ability to hump this stuff, along with their regular bug out bag. It's simply too much weight, making it impractical to travel with, and better suited for the home.

Other than food - what would differentiate what you'd consider in your "bug out bag" from your combat kit? Other than redundancies in some items, it looks to me like you have "bug out" pretty well covered as well as "shoot out" in what you described.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Granted that's a about 60 pounds of survival gear and another 10 pounds of ammunition, but total self-sufficiency is what is required in Katrina/Syrian Civil War style disasters. The good news is deep-wilderness packs (typically 80 liters) are designed to be modular, and often have parts of the packs that can be used as three day packs. The other tip I have is avoid military-style clothes, they are heavy and take eons to dry, and take up more room than they are worth. Getting soaked at a bad time can really hurt you out in the wild. Get synthetic backpacking clothes instead, they are lighter and will dry in minutes on a cold day.

You can find nomex flight suits fairly cheaply, and I'm sure there are some two-piece flight suits floating around, as well. They aren't very wind resistant but they are light and they dry very quickly. The cotton/poly blend ACUs dry pretty quickly as well, although their camouflage pattern isn't exactly inconspicuous.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Most BOB's have a basic weapon system( knife, handgun, rifle or shotgun) to be considered more or less.

Agreed that in the SHTF you don't have the option to rethink, repack, weigh or lighten up if you really have to "get out of Dodge". A vest over, or shoulder carry ammo containment system wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. Add Kevlar, and a 50 cal ammo box full, spare mags, it will be heavy. I plan on vehicle bug out. Not by foot.

I usually carry 3 handgun mags(15 rd each), Kabar USMC Knife, lately a Moss 500 12 ga w/ a 25 rd bandoleer of mixed rounds, 00 buck, #4, Slugs, #7. An AR would be welcome, just don't own one currently. Spare boxed ammo in my 50 cal ammo box. Keep your gear stored in a cruiser ready mode(get it and go).
    Survival BOB would be a second or even a third bag or tub secured to weather tight.

Good rainy day projects, or snowy might include the lighten up, make practical use. When I read these threads, always learn a little, and keep reading.

Top Bottom