• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So, last night, as we were (trying) to monitor the news as they tracked the storms that rolled through, the broadcast was frequently interrupted by EAS messages with dumbed-down and irrelevant (to me) warnings. Now, generally speaking, I approve of the EAS system. It's the best way to alert people of emergency conditions. The problem I have, however, is that these EAS messages completely preempted my entire cable box and TV. Every channel. They came on frequently (about every ten minutes) and lasted for up to 7 minutes at a time as the message repeated. There was no way to turn them off or bypass them. So, right when I needed a detailed weather analysis the most, Comcast completely disabled my television and cut off my access to news completely. I ended up shutting off my TV and huddled over an iPhone trying to watch an out-of-date radar snapshot instead. Anyone else have this experience or know of a way to turn off the EAS messages?

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    We had that problem last night too. They would interrupt the news who was attempting to show right when it was hitting us, only for the EAS to interrupt the news with a basic tornado warning. I'd much rather be able to see the detailed analysis from the weather man. EAS still has some benefits as it alerts people who may be oblivious, but there should be a way to make it go away. Luckily, my phone was able to connect to my WiFi as Verizon was down for most people in this part of the state from the storms. So my kids and I were able to seek shelter and still see an out of date radar blib.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Up here it is more one channel then comcast. I use these sites to monitor storms in my area from my laptop.

Paul Poteet Dot Com | Indiana Radar from The Online Home Of Indiana's Weatherman

NWS radar image loop of Base Reflectivity from Northern Indiana

The advance of the gov radar is that you can click on your area and it will expand so that you get a closer view to the weather around you.

You would also want to find the Indy radar instead of the one I use. Just use the arrows on the left side of the screen to move to different radar sites.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, last night, as we were (trying) to monitor the news as they tracked the storms that rolled through, the broadcast was frequently interrupted by EAS messages with dumbed-down and irrelevant (to me) warnings. Now, generally speaking, I approve of the EAS system. It's the best way to alert people of emergency conditions. The problem I have, however, is that these EAS messages completely preempted my entire cable box and TV. Every channel. They came on frequently (about every ten minutes) and lasted for up to 7 minutes at a time as the message repeated. There was no way to turn them off or bypass them. So, right when I needed a detailed weather analysis the most, Comcast completely disabled my television and cut off my access to news completely. I ended up shutting off my TV and huddled over an iPhone trying to watch an out-of-date radar snapshot instead. Anyone else have this experience or know of a way to turn off the EAS messages?

I run into the same issue down here in the PRoB. I've never been able to find anyway to disable the EAS. Bad thing in my home... my oldest daughter (7) freaks out when she hears the EAS tone... last night was not fun.:(

As for the rabbit ears suggestion... that won't even work now-a-days... no TV transmitted in Analog....

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah and the worst part is that it even interrupts your DVR recorded shows. We got sick of watching it and decided to watch some of our shows. Sure enough, here it comes and when it ended it puts you back on regular television even.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    As for the rabbit ears suggestion... that won't even work now-a-days... no TV transmitted in Analog....

just need a digital tuner or convertor, rabbit ears still work though.

I would imagine the EAS would be broadcast over those stations too though

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    just need a digital tuner or convertor, rabbit ears still work though.

I would imagine the EAS would be broadcast over those stations too though

forgot about the DAC's... but I think you are right... I'm betting the EAS is broadcast across all "wavelengths".

:+1: for reminding me that I'm an idiot! :D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So, last night, as we were (trying) to monitor the news as they tracked the storms that rolled through, the broadcast was frequently interrupted by EAS messages with dumbed-down and irrelevant (to me) warnings. Now, generally speaking, I approve of the EAS system. It's the best way to alert people of emergency conditions. The problem I have, however, is that these EAS messages completely preempted my entire cable box and TV. Every channel. They came on frequently (about every ten minutes) and lasted for up to 7 minutes at a time as the message repeated. There was no way to turn them off or bypass them. So, right when I needed a detailed weather analysis the most, [STRIKE]Comcast[/STRIKE] The FCC tcompletely disabled my television and cut off my access to news completely. I ended up shutting off my TV and huddled over an iPhone trying to watch an out-of-date radar snapshot instead. Anyone else have this experience or know of a way to turn off the EAS messages?

Fixed that for you,

Just so you know, EAS controls are not mandated by the cable companies, they are mandated by the FCC. Cable companies are required to follow those guidelines and can be fined heavily if found to be outside of compliance.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    forgot about the DAC's... but I think you are right... I'm betting the EAS is broadcast across all "wavelengths".

:+1: for reminding me that I'm an idiot! :D

Actually you're wrong again, its not broadcast across all frequencies, all devices are forced to tune to the EAS broadcast frequency as required by the FCC.

I can see how you got where you were headed though.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    It would be nice if they could make the EAS broadcast only to the areas effected . I had to watch 6 mini recordings of American Idol. Small price to pay for safety, if I was in the effected areas I would have cared less about the interuptions.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The EAS messages they kept interrupting the weather broadcast for were all for the south side of Indy, 200 miles away from me. Important for them, sure, but worse than useless for me.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    It would be nice if they could make the EAS broadcast only to the areas effected . I had to watch 6 mini recordings of American Idol. Small price to pay for safety, if I was in the effected areas I would have cared less about the interuptions.

They are heavily generalized unfortunately, especially with MSO's as large as Comcast and Brighthouse. And when you couple that with the fact that we basically had a line of storms from South Bend to Columbus, pretty much the entire state was affected at one time or another.

TBH I think you should be able to "opt out" of EAS messages after 30 seconds or so and let nature take it's course. Unfortunately, the FCC doesn't like the negative publicity that lamestream media would push on them if they "failed in their service to the American people" of warning them about bad weather.....:dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We didn't have any issues. When we wanted to look at the weather we just tuned to one of the locals. The premium channels played with no interruptions or anything. No EAS at all. Then again, I have satellite, not cable, so it wasn't a problem. Storms didn't even knock out my Dish, at all.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It did get somewhat annoying last night. Even though many of the alerts applied to me, it was still aggravating because I was watching one of the local news/weather channels to begin with. It seemed right when they about to give some details I wanted to hear, they would be cut off by Steven Hawking. It would seem that they could at the very least allow the live news and weather broadcasters the knowledge of when they were being cut off so they could structure their broadcast around it. It was obvious they had no clue they were getting cut off because they just continued as if nothing happened.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, annoying to say the least.

I was watching the radar image on TWC to see which way they were moving and
    just as they are getting ready to go to my area the EAS would come up.... :xmad:

Went and found some radar images on weather.com and the like and just
    watched those instead.

Top Bottom