• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Uverse allows you to dismiss an eas alert when it pops up. Sorry, not much help with comcast, so maybe switch? You'd be happier all around.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We can't get U-verse where we are or we most likely would have switched.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    So, last night, as we were (trying) to monitor the news as they tracked the storms that rolled through, the broadcast was frequently interrupted by EAS messages with dumbed-down and irrelevant (to me) warnings. Now, generally speaking, I approve of the EAS system. It's the best way to alert people of emergency conditions. The problem I have, however, is that these EAS messages completely preempted my entire cable box and TV. Every channel. They came on frequently (about every ten minutes) and lasted for up to 7 minutes at a time as the message repeated. There was no way to turn them off or bypass them. So, right when I needed a detailed weather analysis the most, Comcast completely disabled my television and cut off my access to news completely. I ended up shutting off my TV and huddled over an iPhone trying to watch an out-of-date radar snapshot instead. Anyone else have this experience or know of a way to turn off the EAS messages?

I think we are screwed. I don't know if this is a law thing (any dish or U-verse folks have this same issue?) or what. Before, I think they used to just scroll a message across the screen, with the alarm sound lasting just a few seconds. I was also upset with their EAS system. What really ticked me off was that they would put out one alert, then just hold in the EAS mode for two minutes or so before issuing out another one for another area.

The only work around is to get an HD antenna system and run a bypass to your TV. When Comsuck starts in with their multiple EAS warnings, switch over to antenna TV. I installed an antenna on my old Dish pole. At first, it worked great, but for some reason (water in the cable, box where coax cable screws into, whatever else) the signals are weak now. I really need to get a little bit larger pole and re-install the thing. The antennas are about $40 or less from Fry's. The problem is I have no idea how well digital signals will come in during sever weather.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think we are screwed. I don't know if this is a law thing (any dish or U-verse folks have this same issue?) or what. Before, I think they used to just scroll a message across the screen, with the alarm sound lasting just a few seconds. I was also upset with their EAS system. What really ticked me off was that they would put out one alert, then just hold in the EAS mode for two minutes or so before issuing out another one for another area.

The only work around is to get an HD antenna system and run a bypass to your TV. When Comsuck starts in with their multiple EAS warnings, switch over to antenna TV. I installed an antenna on my old Dish pole. At first, it worked great, but for some reason (water in the cable, box where coax cable screws into, whatever else) the signals are weak now. I really need to get a little bit larger pole and re-install the thing. The antennas are about $40 or less from Fry's. The problem is I have no idea how well digital signals will come in during sever weather.

Uverse allows you to dismiss an eas alert when it pops up. Sorry, not much help with comcast, so maybe switch? You'd be happier all around.

:D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i had the same problem with comcast. uverse had a button to cancel out the warning but you still had to do it everytime... (this was a couple years ago now)

i have power antenna's for 2 of my 3 hd tv's. i just flip to them and watch...

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was watching live feeds from storm chasers on my lappy. Those feeds are pretty cool when there's something actually happening.

Top Bottom