• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I don’t really understand the one platform idea not disagreeing just not sure about it.
    My EDC line up has different weapons for different situations.

1. S&W Shield 9mm with thumb safety
    Summer carry in low threat areas easy to conceal and a great shooter.

2. Sig 250 C 9mm
    Summer and Winter carry in higher threat areas

3. S&W 19 4 in
    When I feel like only a .357 mag will do the job

I have a few others I shoot but do not carry. I don’t sell weapons it’s a life long commitment for me.

I am going to add a Commander size 1911 when CM and other 1911 guys tell me if S&W, DW, SIG, Kimber is the right choice?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t really understand the one platform idea

Because you can perform at a higher level with less mental load when you stick the the same platform. It points the same every time. The controls are in the same place every time. The trigger breaks at the same point every time. The index is in the same place every time.

This doesn't sound like a big deal when you're standing on a static range with no time pressure and nothing else to occupy your mind plinking at a target. It becomes significant when you're watching three guys, one of who may be pulling a gun while the other charges you. Your brain suddenly has a lot to process and you have a lot of sensory input. That's not the time to forget the gun you have on you has a thumb safety. Or points high compared to what you carried yesterday. Or has a significantly shorter trigger.

Then there's the logistics. I don't have to spend on different magazines, holsters, and other support gear. My maintenance is simplified, as I only need a few types of recoil springs, hammer springs, etc.

I have changed platforms generally for one of two reasons. Work and injuries. I carried the 1911 for many years, then DynCorp said I would carry a Beretta, then IMPD said I'd carry a Glock. After the second time I broke my hand, the Glock 22 and I didn't get along. My fingers didn't fit the finger grooves and I didn't feel like I had a good grip on it. I settled on Sig and stuck with that until we got the Gen 5 Glocks. If I were on my own, I'd stay with Sig, but I'm mandated to carry the Glock in certain situations so since I shoot the new Glock as well as I do the Sig it was an easy choice to transition. I'll stick with Glock until the department changes or I no longer have to worry about an employer policy.

With the exception of a S&W Shield and a 1911 that lives in the safe (the one mentioned upthread I carried for years), every non-revolver handgun I personally own is a Sig DA/SA P-series.

..and then there's the SIMP principal: https://pistol-training.com/archives/70

Few people have the hours and ammo to really master a bunch of platforms. If you're not shooting for a living, you most likely would see real improvement to your skills by sticking to a single platform.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Thanks BBI
    I understand the concept now.

I was always dictated what platform to use when I carried a weapon for a living.

Now that I am free I just carry whatever !

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I am going to add a Commander size 1911 when CM and other 1911 guys tell me if S&W, DW, SIG, Kimber is the right choice?

If I had those choices for a 1911, I would go DW. They have some very nice guns. Not that S&W, Sig and Kimber don't have some good models, but DW seems to be far better than the others, at least to me. I have their CCO and it's a fantastic gun. Commander size slide and Office size grip if I remember correctly. It carries like a dream in a Galco Combat Master leather pancake holster OWB. I decided not to carry a 1911 for various reasons, so I don't carry mine anymore, but it's a great choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don’t really understand the one platform idea not disagreeing just not sure about it.
    My EDC line up has different weapons for different situations.

1. S&W Shield 9mm with thumb safety
    Summer carry in low threat areas easy to conceal and a great shooter.

2. Sig 250 C 9mm
    Summer and Winter carry in higher threat areas

3. S&W 19 4 in
    When I feel like only a .357 mag will do the job

I have a few others I shoot but do not carry. I don’t sell weapons it’s a life long commitment for me.

In that group I would say DW. But consider a Springer Champion. I have owned several and every one of them have been stellar pieces and still are.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of my favorite 1911s at the moment is my DW A2 Commander. They are not the cheapest option out there, but they are a solid choice for a really good commander sized 1911. Bud's has them for under $1200 the last time I looked and with only 200 produced, they will not remain a catalog item for long. The A2s are completely hand fit with top notch components. I used to have an Ed Brown commander sized 1911 and think that the A2 is every bit as well fit if not better than the EB was.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    All of us have bought guns, run them for a while and then moved away from the platform for one reason or another. Then, there are the one's that after running them for a bit, we commit to the platform. Maybe not as the one and only, but we make the decision that the gun's a keeper.

Recently, I started to carry a G30sf again. I was really enamored with the gun when new, but then kind of wandered away from it. I'm carrying it again despite it's tendendy to send brass at me instead of to the side. Last weekend, I finally committed to the platform. For me, that means buying a second one and then ordering good leather for it. My favorite holster is the Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide. Those are not the most expensive holster out there, but they are not cheap either. Ordering that holster is when I know I'm into a gun long term. I've done that for my 1911s, G23 and CZs, but there are a others that don't make the cut for carry.

When does the INGO faithful know when they've committed to a platform long term? What's the one thing you do that doesn't get done until you've decided that it's a keeper?

When you keep going back to the same platform as a default. Glocks and AR pattern rifles would be the platforms for me. I've dipped in and out of both over the years, but always come back to them. Basically what BIB said is how I view it as well. All my Glocks and ARs operate the same and keeps my mind clear to focus on other things. I no longer have DA/SA or SAO pistols mixed in there, because I don't train as well with them. As long as the gun works for me, I can focus on the task at hand more.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Because you can perform at a higher level with less mental load when you stick the the same platform. It points the same every time. The controls are in the same place every time. The trigger breaks at the same point every time. The index is in the same place every time.

This doesn't sound like a big deal when you're standing on a static range with no time pressure and nothing else to occupy your mind plinking at a target. It becomes significant when you're watching three guys, one of who may be pulling a gun while the other charges you. Your brain suddenly has a lot to process and you have a lot of sensory input. That's not the time to forget the gun you have on you has a thumb safety. Or points high compared to what you carried yesterday. Or has a significantly shorter trigger.

Then there's the logistics. I don't have to spend on different magazines, holsters, and other support gear. My maintenance is simplified, as I only need a few types of recoil springs, hammer springs, etc.

I have changed platforms generally for one of two reasons. Work and injuries. I carried the 1911 for many years, then DynCorp said I would carry a Beretta, then IMPD said I'd carry a Glock. After the second time I broke my hand, the Glock 22 and I didn't get along. My fingers didn't fit the finger grooves and I didn't feel like I had a good grip on it. I settled on Sig and stuck with that until we got the Gen 5 Glocks. If I were on my own, I'd stay with Sig, but I'm mandated to carry the Glock in certain situations so since I shoot the new Glock as well as I do the Sig it was an easy choice to transition. I'll stick with Glock until the department changes or I no longer have to worry about an employer policy.

With the exception of a S&W Shield and a 1911 that lives in the safe (the one mentioned upthread I carried for years), every non-revolver handgun I personally own is a Sig DA/SA P-series.

..and then there's the SIMP principal: https://pistol-training.com/archives/70

Few people have the hours and ammo to really master a bunch of platforms. If you're not shooting for a living, you most likely would see real improvement to your skills by sticking to a single platform.
    +100... just elaborated much nicer than my "keeping it simple". :cool:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm a newer shooter and haven't invested as much time shooting as I would like to due to other "life" stuff getting in the way. I spent a few years now buying, trying and selling different platforms to see what catches me.

With everything I try, I just keep coming back to the 1911. I even own a CZ from their Custom Shop and haven't warmed up to it. It's just hard to spend valuable range time practicing with it when I can be shooting my 1911.

My brother shoots for sport, not for work and he picks a gun for a season. One season he shot revolver all year(he is into IDPA). Last year it was a Glock 34. Before that a Sig P226.

I don't think I will be at the level that some of you guys are with pairs of the same firearm and double digit magazines. I'm just too minimal for that.

My goal is one day to have a pistol that the finish is well worn due to my using it a lot! I would love to have only one gun and do everything I want but I'm not that minimal.:)

My revolvers are keepers and I have holsters for them(Tucker Leather) and my 1911 is a keeper. The only other handgun I have is the CZ and I don't think I've given it a fair chance but I'd probably sell it if I could get my money out of it. But having a high capacity pistol is something I feel that I should have. Ugh.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm a newer shooter and haven't invested as much time shooting as I would like to due to other "life" stuff getting in the way. I spent a few years now buying, trying and selling different platforms to see what catches me.

With everything I try, I just keep coming back to the 1911. I even own a CZ from their Custom Shop and haven't warmed up to it. It's just hard to spend valuable range time practicing with it when I can be shooting my 1911.

My brother shoots for sport, not for work and he picks a gun for a season. One season he shot revolver all year(he is into IDPA). Last year it was a Glock 34. Before that a Sig P226.

I don't think I will be at the level that some of you guys are with pairs of the same firearm and double digit magazines. I'm just too minimal for that.

My goal is one day to have a pistol that the finish is well worn due to my using it a lot! I would love to have only one gun and do everything I want but I'm not that minimal.:)

My revolvers are keepers and I have holsters for them(Tucker Leather) and my 1911 is a keeper. The only other handgun I have is the CZ and I don't think I've given it a fair chance but I'd probably sell it if I could get my money out of it. But having a high capacity pistol is something I feel that I should have. Ugh.

I'm down to 2 handguns and 2 rifles for defensive use. I no longer have safe queens. I am happy with what I have and try to find versatility within my collection. I don't think I could ever get down to one of each, because I believe in having a backup should one become inoperable.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm down to 2 handguns and 2 rifles for defensive use. I no longer have safe queens. I am happy with what I have and try to find versatility within my collection. I don't think I could ever get down to one of each, because I believe in having a backup should one become inoperable.

I probably should really think about this. If I am going to stay with the 1911, heck I could sell my CZ and buy a really nice second one!

I will do some thinking over the holidays and try to make a decision for next year. Who knows, maybe I'll shoot revolver all year.

Some say that doing so is good training for auto shooting.:dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

What is your chosen Glock TD? IIRC, you tried the G30 platform last summer.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What is your chosen Glock TD? IIRC, you tried the G30 platform last summer.

Both are Gen 5's. The 17 is mainly for nightstand duty with a TLR-1 and the 19 is my EDC. Bought a Raven Concealment Morrigan holster that fits both. They both are stock except for Ameriglo Hackathorn sights and Talon grips. I bought some extra Magpul G17 mags and carry a factory Glock 17 mag as a spare. This allows me to have two "different guns" while using the exact same setup and controls, etc.

As for my rifles, they are all AR style and have a mil-spec trigger with no controls that deviate from what a standard AR-15 has except the charging handles having a slightly larger latch handle. While they might have different stocks, optics and handguards, the controls are still the same style in the same locations ( no BAD levers, ambi safeties, etc ). I did this to keep consistency across the board and if I ever got put in a situation where I had to use someone else's AR rifle I would already have my mind trained on how to operate it assuming it's in somewhat stock condition.

Earlier this year I had to re-evaluate my gear and change things to suit my wants and needs. My main purpose for having firearms is for defensive purposes. Yes it was fun to have owned and shot a large amount of stuff over the years, but I wasn't doing myself any good by diversifying so much. I had to get back to basics and start over while keeping a quality over quantity mindset.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    1911's and CZ's for me are my "dedicated platforms" they do everything I can ask of a handgun and there is a assortment of sizes amongst all of the guns for a wide range of applications from Concealed Carry to Open Class USPSA Shooting all with a similar grip and triggers. Not to mention the accessories, ammunition and reloading supplies that accompany the pistols.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    1911's and CZ's for me are my "dedicated platforms" they do everything I can ask of a handgun and there is a assortment of sizes amongst all of the guns for a wide range of applications from Concealed Carry to Open Class USPSA Shooting all with a similar grip and triggers. Not to mention the accessories, ammunition and reloading supplies that accompany the pistols.
    I can certainly appreciate that. Just out of curiosity, do you carry the CZ's in SA with the safety on or carry them in DA?

Top Bottom