• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I dont care which way anyone carrys. I have my opinion formed from my history and background as you guys have yours. For me I have been taught to look for the obvious threat first. Maybe i dont have "stories" to illustrate this as some of you would like, but if i limit myself to only certain situations then im risking myself and my family.

So when are you doing this? Are you knocking over banks? Robbing gas stations? Holding up convenience stores? I'm guessing not. You likely aren't a thug so what is your point?

Is this typical training that the common criminal receives before they begin their crime career? Are they trained to look for the OCer or "threat" and take them out?

If this is so common, if this training is so prevalent, why don't we read about it? Ever?

Is it so hard for you to believe that maybe, just maybe, the common criminal sees a gun and alters his plan; picks another target or waits a while rather than running up to the OCer and blowing his head off. Threat removed!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Since criminals don't fare well in court for attacking or causing harm to anyone, it must be the radio.

I must start carrying a radio now too. How do I get a police radio?

I think carrying a small electronic device that could somehow unable you to call the police, paramedics, family and friends could work just as well. :dunno:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Thanks. I don't know everything and it's a well written article but I just don't agree.

I agree. You probably know a lot less than that.

Uh, no, I'm not a troll.

Uh, pretty much, yeah, you are.

Ok, I'll admit, I could have worded my thoughts better. Sorry to all offended.

No. You are not now, nor will you ever be forgiven. I open carry 100% of the time when I am outside my home. If I am asked to not carry, or to cover it up, I leave, and my wallet goes with me. I will not tolerate intolerance.

I've taken some pretty hard hits on here for not reading or posting "the open carry argument". Also I'm getting beat up for being a troll. I'm a big boy and I can take it but you who are pointing out my flaws could have also done a little research in my posting history and you would see that I'm just your average poster. Hell, I don't even come here that often.

As well you have deserved the hits you have taken. You posted an ignorant, close minded, intolerant, and downright hateful post. I wish you would come here even less often than you already do.

Let this be a lesson to you. Don't come into a place and criticize the way people live. It isn't welcome, and I would even go as far as to say that you're not welcome, either.

I think concealed carry is stupid, but I don't start threads to insult the people who carry that way. Carry and let carry. I worry about myself and mine, and I don't give a DAMN how you want to live your life. Want to continue carrying concealed? I don't give a ****. Want to open carry? Welcome to the party. It's insignificant to me.

I see your avatar is a Soldier. I hope to GOD that you are not in the armed forces. If you are, I am ASHAMED to be part of that organization with you, and you should be ashamed for what you said.

That is all.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    New threads like this popping up every now and again are in my opinion a good thing. I was new to INGO once and reading a 5 million page argument thread was not attractive. The new threads seem to sum the different positions up and come to a head more quickly.

I personally CC but that is only because I'm a spineless wimp. I love the OC philosophy on a fundamental level. When you weed out all the arguments for or against OC or CC that are based on worrying about what other people think of you it really boils things down. After filtering out all the stances based on "how you'll look", what others will think, and unsubstantiated theories it seems that most the reasons to CC that remain are really just to avoid conflict from the under-informed. Just speaking my mind, I'm not someone you should take tactical advice from.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Dude, there are other forums online that would be a better fit for you. I've long since given up trying to convince open carry advocates here that it is "not the best means of carry". In my experience, most of the people who OC do it for recognition or to be stopped on the street and to be asked why they carry, etc. I meet very few OC'ers who actually get out and take a training class, or who are really very switched on in the first place. And of the 100's of people I've met at training classes, I can't recall one that OC's as a primary means of carry, including the instructors.

Their two arguments are:
    "Faster draw w/ OC"....From concealed AIWB, I can draw and get my first shot off in under a second. AIWB is fast and allows me to conceal carry.

"Open carry can cause a crime not to happen", They say that, but I've yet to see that proof. It's speculation, just like saying you'll be the first one shot if they see you have a gun. To me, there are other ways of presenting yourself as a hard target without having to have your gun on displayed for the world to see (making eye contact, looking around, walking tall, don't be on a cell phone, etc). Both have some amount of common sense behind it, but like you originally said, the benefits of concealed carry far outweigh the benefits of open carry.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Dude, there are other forums online that would be a better fit for you. I've long since given up trying to convince open carry advocates here that it is "not the best means of carry". In my experience, most of the people who OC do it for recognition or to be stopped on the street and to be asked why they carry, etc. I meet very few OC'ers who actually get out and take a training class, or who are really very switched on in the first place. And of the 100's of people I've met at training classes, I can't recall one that OC's as a primary means of carry, including the instructors.

OC is not my primary means of carry. I do it on occasion, but it has nothing to do with the reasons you mentioned. As a matter of fact, I'm always amazed that I don't attract more (read that as "any") attention. I could care less how anyone else carries and it always puzzles me why someone would care how I or others choose to carry.

JFC

Bull1315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I think your misunderstanding me or im not explaining myself correctly. I agree that OC can and probably does deter some situations. But i dont think that "all" of the "bad" guys out there are just two bit street criminals. Is it feasable that maybe this "thug" had some prior military training? Maybe.. just maybe knows something about situational awareness and assesing threats to him or his plans? Maybe. Does it happen Often? probably not.. Do terrorists bomb Boston? guess so. Do those guys get any military training some where? probably do. My background is military, law enforcement and corrections. If OC works for you.. then great. For me.. It doesnt. Now i know why the other guys cringed when the OP posted it. Im not trying to judge.. Its just my opinion.. I am still entitled to that here right?

So when are you doing this? Are you knocking over banks? Robbing gas stations? Holding up convenience stores? I'm guessing not. You likely aren't a thug so what is your point?

Is this typical training that the common criminal receives before they begin their crime career? Are they trained to look for the OCer or "threat" and take them out?

If this is so common, if this training is so prevalent, why don't we read about it? Ever?

Is it so hard for you to believe that maybe, just maybe, the common criminal sees a gun and alters his plan; picks another target or waits a while rather than running up to the OCer and blowing his head off. Threat removed!

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Their two arguments are:
    "Faster draw w/ OC"....From concealed AIWB, I can draw and get my first shot off in under a second. AIWB is fast and allows me to conceal carry.

"Open carry can cause a crime not to happen", They say that, but I've yet to see that proof. It's speculation, just like saying you'll be the first one shot if they see you have a gun. To me, there are other ways of presenting yourself as a hard target without having to have your gun on displayed for the world to see (making eye contact, looking around, walking tall, don't be on a cell phone, etc). Both have some amount of common sense behind it, but like you originally said, the benefits of concealed carry far outweigh the benefits of open carry.

I would really like to see that video of you pulling from concealment and firing in under a second.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Their two arguments are:

What are these benefits of conceal carry again? Besides hiding it like a criminal would? No, I am not calling you a criminal.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Why should the sight of a gun holstered on somebody's hip be a problem at all? How does hiding a gun even give those worriers a chance to become acclimated or accepting of this sight?

I don't oc for attention or to feel big. I don't care if you cc. Just carry.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Here is some fun homework for everyone. Do some research as to why and how we got the need for all these damn licenses and permits. It wasn't because of the Open Carriers back in the day I can tell you that.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I realize we live a "free society" where folks (like me) have many and varied opinions. I know what I'm going to say will make some angry. I'm, frankly, past caring.

I carry concealed everyday, most recently with my M&P Shield in my new G-Code Incog holster. I consider it a responsibility, not unlike carrying insurance, in order to protect my family, myself and those around me - there are a lot of bad, bad people out there. Just lately I've seen more open carry folks while I'm out and about than I've seen in all my life. I sort of understand the thinking but I just think it's dumb.

To me, whether we can or can't open carry isn't even part of the issue. If you are not a member of law enforcement and you're open carrying, IMHO, your losing the element of surprise and potentially inviting trouble where it other wise wouldn't be. I've thought about this for quite a while. The positives for allowing others to know without a doubt that you are armed doesn't even come close to the negatives.

And I'm just going to say it, if you happen to be one of those people who feel big and think you are gaining respect of others because you have your weapon out there, no offense intended, grow up please.

I realize we live a "free society" where folks (like me) have many and varied opinions. I know what I'm going to say will make YOU angry. I'm, frankly, past caring.

How anyone carries is, quite honestly, none of your d amn business. Yes, we live in a free society, mind your own F ing business.

You want to talk about common sense?? Common sense would tell us that someone walking going about his/her daily life with an openly displayed firearm IS NOT someone who is up to no good. The 'bad guys' aren't going to display their weapon until they are in the process of their dastardly deed ....

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Seriously! You've given me a good excuse to buy that Sig .45 I've been eyeing and open carry because I can. In the meantime I'm off to Starbucks and visit with like minded people. Oh and the folks here have tought me how to make bullets. I hope that alright with you. I'm just messing but really it comes down to a choice. Make yours and stand bye it don't judge someone else.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

I think this whole thread is silly, but there is an easy answer the final question. For us to hear about it, first, the news has to see OC as significant enough to report it. The news may simply report, "Five gunmen entered First National Bank, shot the security guard and a customer, and got away with $15 million." It probably would say, "Five gunmen entered First National Bank, shot the armed security guard and LockStocksAndBarrel, an avid participant on INGO who open carries a Glock 17 in a De Santis holster, two mags loaded with 9mm Federal Hydroshock rounds, and a backup S&W revolver chambered in .357 magnum. He got his belt from Beltman for the stiffness and integrity of the leather construction. He is now recovering at home from a relatively minor gunshot wound, and he's decided to start wearing body armor, while upgrading his caliber from 9mm to .45 ACP." This gun stuff that we like so much just doesn't mean as much to the rest of the world. Look at how many homicides and rapes there are. When the news does report them, does it report the victims' armament? Keep in mind that a good number of the victims are criminals, and they're likely armed.

Second, the OC guy has to be at the bank when the well-orchestrated robbery is going down. This may be the real obstacle. OC is rare in most parts of the country. We're lucky in that Indiana permits both OC and CC. There may just be no data for this because there has never been an OC guy at a bank robbery (for an example of a crime).

Top Bottom