Community member brought a gun onto school campus.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    from what we know the kid saw the guy walking to the school buulding and also saw him put the sidearm back in the car and then walk back to the school building.

thus if the snitch had used reason/logic/actually was thinking s/he could have seen there was no incident here. but the kid is a product of big brother and did exaclty as a mindless drone would.

That's the way it seemed to me as well.... and I drew the same conclusion.

My kids, while in high school, would have acted differently. Then when they went away to college it all changed and they might have done what happened here. The difference is if they had talked to a parent they would have been reminded that nothing happened, and the carrier put the firearm back in his vehicle so it was an honest mistake.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    u fail to understand the issue and just how ad it really is.
    this kid is a mindless drone. we already know that.
    the thing is he told his parents and they freaked out aswell.
    so that is min of 2 generations of snowflake mindless drones we now have. basically we are beyond the point of no return.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    fact of the matter is they've been trying to get rid of Brannock for YEARS, he's very high on the pay scale there compared to other teachers, auto shop raises their liability insurance significantly as well not to mention the equipment cost's. this is simply a means of ridding themselves of both.
    FACT: there was a school administrator aware of the "situation" and also said nothing exactly like Mr. B.!! After last night's meeting I believe they're going to be forced to deal with them as well since that's quite public now, that may be Brannock's saving grace, since the admin would need to suffer a similar fate.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    (purple if u need it)
    plus machine shop is a manly thing.
    no way in hell we can have that in high school.
    he probably teaches his students mansxplaining.
    yup he needs to go.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    snitches should still get stitches.
    so a not mindless drone student actually disfuses the whole thing. that student is not a snowflake so he needs to be expelled or re-educatiin for him. big gov failed on him.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So a kid was driving like an idiot, this guy decides he can take that to task and enters a school while carrying and being classified as a prohibited person?

That has dumb written all over it.

I don't see how this could be classed as an almost shooting incident tho. Just a lack of good judgement.

If the teacher would have just brushed it off as not that big of a thing maybe all is good. But to tell the students that they should not talk to any of the other adults about it pretty much made it a thing.

I 'might' know someone who has walked into a school while carrying. It just happens sometimes when someone is used to carrying daily, in my opinion.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Man, there’s a lot of drama queening going on in the last article Lonehoosier posted! Yeah, the guy was prohibited, and did something dumb, but it sure doesn’t sound like he had bad intentions when he entered the property.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Now, if the "offender" or "suspect" is a "two-time" felon, it depends on the felonies which would disqualify him from carrying a firearm. Now, since the common sense filter at Lake Central has been turned off apparently in perpetuity, the well meaning and respected teacher is going to be run through the Cuisinart set at "cole slaw."

I would agree, no incident here. Jackleg put his heater away. If the teacher is terminated, I see a potential retirement enhancing lawsuit in the future for him. Situations any more are not looked at in their totality, only in bits and pieces of the entire picture.

I would also postulate that the Administration of the school should be brought into question also. It sounds like they sorely need some education on what is/what is not an incident of a firearm on school grounds. Of course, they may learn the hard way. So be it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    u fail to understand the issue and just how ad it really is.
    this kid is a mindless drone. we already know that.
    the thing is he told his parents and they freaked out aswell.
    so that is min of 2 generations of snowflake mindless drones we now have. basically we are beyond the point of no return.

I agree and disagree with your post. The students are definitely not drones. If they see something they should say something. I work everyday with these kids. They are not ignorant, they lack the experience and judgement to make competent decisions.

Having said that, the adults it is reported to need the discretion to make reasonable decisions about the report. If there is no threat after investigating it, it is done. If there needs to be further look at the person involved, make a reasoned decision to do so.

The admin and teachers I work with are very competent and reasonable. I trust their judgement.

Don

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Here is the unfiltered (by the press) press release from St John PD:

(For Immediate Release, October 3, 2018)

By the authority of Chief of Police, James A. Kveton

On Friday September 21, 2018 at approximately 5:40PM, St. John Police were dispatched to the residence of a Lake Central High School student. The student and his parents reported that an irate offender had entered onto Lake Central High School Property and into the Auto Shop area at a time when the offender had visible on his person what appeared to be a handgun. The offender was reportedly very irate as a result of a student from the auto shop, which moments earlier had been driving recklessly in the residential neighborhood northwest of the High School. The offender felt the student had endangered area children and residents by his driving. Based on videotaped evidence, and witness accounts to the sequence of events, initial reports from these witnesses were consistent with recovered videotaped evidence.

Witnesses also reported that students in the classroom were told by the responsible adult or adults that were present during the incident not to discuss or report the incident, that it would be handled by the adult or adults present at the time. No such immediate report to police or school administration was ever made and no lock down of the school or school safety protocols were ever initiated.

Initial reports to the police came from students and their parents that were not comfortable with the direction given by the classroom teacher. Parents were in fear as a result of the incident and felt it should be reported to and investigated by the police. At no time during or immediately subsequent to this confrontation were police or school administration notified of this incident by either of the adults that were present at the time of the confrontation.

Over the next 24 hours both police and school administration were notified by parents of students that were present when the confrontation occurred expressing concern for the safety of the students that were present at the school auto shop. It should also be noted that many other students and adults, were on school grounds for other extra-curricular activities, and were not made aware of or notified of the confrontation or potential danger.

Over the next three days residents/parents were notified of this incident by school officials and a collaborative investigation began including the St. John Police Department and Lake Central High School Administration. During this investigation additional interviews were conducted, a neighborhood canvas was conducted, phone records were reviewed and videotaped evidence was recovered. Within that time frame a person of interest was identified, who lived in the area and who is a two time convicted felon. This person of interest was questioned regarding the details of his actions.

Due to the severity of this incident, the safety risk and the unexplained delay in reporting this incident to the police and school administration parallel investigations were being conducted by the School Corporation and the St. John Police Department. As of this press release both investigations continue to move forward to make sure all details related to these events are vetted, substantiated and confirmed to the best of our ability. Members of the St. John Police Department are also working closely with the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office regarding potential charges. During this review Lake County Prosecutors expressed significant concerns related to the failure of the adults who were present, to immediately take action and report this incident and regarding the extended delay in initiating the investigation due to that delay.

The collaborative priority of the St. John Police Department, the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office and the Lake Central School Corporation is, to ensure the safety of all students that attend our schools and all that were present on school property. Thankfully, this incident was defused by a student that confronted the offender with the unlawful nature of carrying a handgun onto school grounds and into the school, which caused the offender to think twice and remove what appeared to be a gun from his waist and place it into his vehicle. The initial thought process on the part of the offender to intentionally bring what appeared to be a handgun onto school property to confront a child that was driving recklessly, could have easily resulted in a physical confrontation, where someone could have been shot or killed.

It is honorable to come to the aid of and defend a trusted and respected adult/teacher/friend, but we are all accountable for our actions or inaction. I praise and support the students and parents that had the willingness to come forward and report these very serious chain of events to the police and school administration. Thankfully this did not result in a tragedy similar to those we have witnessed in other parts of our country.

Charges are still pending review and approval by the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I agree with everything except for the last sentence. A student saw someone walking toward the building with a firearm. Should he/she just continue walking blissfully away? Especially considering recent events, the kid did the right thing.

If the student had done/said something at the time and the gun was diverted from entering campus, "see something say something" would have done something (nothing useful as the carrier did not have ill-intent but that's hindsight). In this case, the student saw the events of the day and probably told the parental drones over dinner when they asked "how was school today honey", after which the parents called the bureaucracy.

A different scenario, such as someone making threats or actions yet to come can be reported after the verbiage (but before the action) but telling about the action afterward didn't and doesn't help.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    What a mess. 2 time felon brings gun to school in pursuit of teenage "reckless" driver...Teacher either knew nothing or said nothing. If you choose to defend that headline, god bless. I want to believe the teacher didn't know but you can't be so disconnected from events to see this isn't good. Reactionary? Maybe! But a fly covered steaming pile of dung for a headline.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    From the teacher (copied from social media):

Dear Family, Friends, Colleagues and Students,

It was never my intent to retire. I care very deeply about my students, their well being, and my program. As I stated from the beginning, I did not open the overhead doors. My classroom was secure until the door was opened without my knowledge or permission. I have NEVER given students permission to test drive cars, or ride around the neighborhood.

At no point did I see a gun. At no point was the man irate with me. At no point did I tell students not to tell parents or administrators. I did inform the students I would be handling the situation, e.g. writing the student up for leaving without my permission. If Ms. Malchow and I didn’t see gun, what protocol were we supposed to follow? How did we endanger anyone’s life if there was no gun? It is my understanding there is NO evidence of gun on camera. There is NO eyewitness report of an actual gun. I did not fail to report a man with a gun. I did not fail to report a felon. I DID NOT FAIL! No one knew this man was a felon until the police were involved almost 4 days later! To this day, not even the prosecutors office has charged this man with anything! I have been lied to by the administration over and over again and so have you! I was told that my story and Ms. Malchow story were totally different; they were not. Had Ms. Malchow and I saw a gun, obviously we would have handled the situation differently.

I met with the administration at least 3 different times. At the very first meeting, before the October 1board meeting, I was told my contract was being cancelled and placed on leave. I was NEVER given the option to retire June 15. I did make a statement to the police and to the administration that I did not see a gun. And did pick the man out of a photo array as the man who approached me. The administration made it clear to me their recommendation was to have my contracts cancelled; e.g. be fired. When given the choice between being fired and retirement, the choice was clear. When I met with Larry and submitted my resignation letter, I was not asked to stay until June 15. I was asked by Larry and Shawn why I was not retiring immediately! Under no circumstances would have I have stayed and trained my replacement. I have been treated with disrespect and as if I was incompetent to do my duties as a teacher. I have been treated as if I have no discipline in my classroom or as if I let students do as they wish. As my students know, this is not the case. Not only has the administration questioned my abilities as a teacher to perform my duties, but also my personal relationships have come under fire, as well as I have been questioned about my military career. I believe that the administration wanted to see me removed from my duties. I did nothing wrong and yet I was given retirement anyway. Why? At the meeting the option of my return was not even discussed except to have me train my replacement. Why did I need to train a replacement? I had done nothing wrong! They did not care about the students. They did not care about the program. Plain and simple, they did not care.

It is my understanding that my replacement is NOT a teacher but has held classes at his business to teach basic maintenance on vehicles. It is my understanding his business failed because he could not correctly repair vehicles. And while he has 8 certifications, I have 3 of the most important ones. I hold a life license for teaching, ASE certification for Master Tech and license from the State of Indiana in Emissions training and education. No applicant can say they have my years of knowledge, experience and training. As Ms. Malchow stated, you cannot take someone, put them behind a desk in a classroom and call them a teacher. It is not only an insult to the hardworking men and women who have spent countless hours training to become license teachers; it is a complete and total disregard for the safety and educational welfare and wellbeing of the students.

In closing, I believe that situation was mishandled by the Lake Central Administration. They failed to uphold their oath. My retirement is not only an injustice but also away to lay the sole responsibility at my feet. I would like to thank all of you for your continued support and only hope that in the end, justice will be served.

Mr B.

*I added the paragraphs

Top Bottom