Comparing 357 revolvers.....any input appreciated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    For carry, either an S&W 19 or 66 (K-frame), or for smaller still, one of their J-frame revolvers rated for .357 Magnum, or get either a Ruger SP101 or (smaller) LCR.
    For a medium size revolver that will stand up better to heavy loads and more rounds through it, an S&W 586/686 (L-frame) or Ruger GP100.
    If you want to spend a bit more and have the biggest .357 out there that will make range time more comfortable, and if you're either not intending to carry it or if you're willing to go to the greater difficulty of finding a way to comfortably carry it, spend the big bucks and get an S&W 27; that thing is a beast.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    so, I'll chime in again here real fast...
    There's a LOT of love for S&W on here, and deservedly so. This is a lot like a Chevy vs Ford debate.
    I will point out a few advantages that I've liked about the current Rugers. I've owned a 4" GP100 and a GP100 Match Champion (still own the MC). I like pushing in the cylinder release.
    1 - The Rugers are very easy to slick up a bit, if you have any mechanical inclination at all. You'll need a Wolff Spring kit that has different main springs and trigger return springs. (to its credit, the S&W's spring is also pretty easy to tune, and easy to tune too light ... and getting light strikes). Also, get some trigger and hammer shims.
    2 - price! $550 new for a standard GP100, and about $650-675 for Match Champ
    3 - personal preference. inward cylinder release, looks of the barrel & lug ("underlug")
    4 - I've found Rugers to be more consistent in their cylinder gap. Mine were .004 and .005. I think most revolvers are within spec between .004-.010, and I've measured more than a couple S&Ws that were at .005 - .013
    5 - I've noticed less (but still some) canted/overclocked barrels on Rugers. Most people would agree that QC has gone down in both companies. From what I've seen, S&W's QC has slipped more than Ruger's.

...Flame on!!!

In full disclosure my next revo will be a 586 l-comp or a 686+

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    so, I'll chime in again here real fast...
    There's a LOT of love for S&W on here, and deservedly so. This is a lot like a Chevy vs Ford debate.
    I will point out a few advantages that I've liked about the current Rugers. I've owned a 4" GP100 and a GP100 Match Champion (still own the MC). I like pushing in the cylinder release.
    1 - The Rugers are very easy to slick up a bit, if you have any mechanical inclination at all. You'll need a Wolff Spring kit that has different main springs and trigger return springs. (to its credit, the S&W's spring is also pretty easy to tune, and easy to tune too light ... and getting light strikes). Also, get some trigger and hammer shims.
    2 - price! $550 new for a standard GP100, and about $650-675 for Match Champ
    3 - personal preference. inward cylinder release, looks of the barrel & lug ("underlug")
    4 - I've found Rugers to be more consistent in their cylinder gap. Mine were .004 and .005. I think most revolvers are within spec between .004-.010, and I've measured more than a couple S&Ws that were at .005 - .013
    5 - I've noticed less (but still some) canted/overclocked barrels on Rugers. Most people would agree that QC has gone down in both companies. From what I've seen, S&W's QC has slipped more than Ruger's.

...Flame on!!!

In full disclosure my next revo will be a 586 l-comp or a 686+

Both revolvers I have purchased are Rugers, an LCR-X and a Blackhawk .45 Colt.
    They're both excellent guns, and it's a pleasant surprise to feel just how nice both the single action and double action trigger pulls are with the LCR-X.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have never gotten around to owning a 6" .357. Many years ago I had a polished S&W 586 with 4" barrel, and really enjoyed it. But had to let it go. Dad has a S&W 6 shot 6" and it is the smoothest shooting revolver I have ever handled.

goneshooting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I have more wheel guns than autos and prefer them better, I still have my 686 I bought new when I first turned 21 many moons ago and its still my favorite even over my Pythons. Cant go wrong with 686.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really like my GP100 MC and SP101.

I bought an SP101 late last year.
    Brand new 4.2" barrel .327 Federal magnum.
    I was astounded at how nice the trigger was out of the box.
    After a few hundred rounds, the trigger just gets better with every pull.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    You can't go wrong with either a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100. Both are nice for their respective price points, which are not far apart.
    My S&W 686 PC has great fit and finish and an awesome trigger, which is to be expected from a Performance Center gun. It is a 7 shot revolver versus 6 in the GP100.
    My Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp is right there with the 686 as far as fit and finish go. Trigger is a close second. The Rugers are overbuilt and will handle anything you stuff in them.
    My smaller .357 revolvers are a S&W 340PD and a Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp. The S&W 340PD is an ultra lightweight .357 that is a joy to carry and a bear to shoot. The SP101 is much more pleasant to shoot (duh, right?) and is a 1/3 or so bigger. If you plan to shoot it alot, get the SP101.
    Either one will serve you well and I am sure you would be happy with either one you chose.

mashtatatoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Hancock County
    I haven't really shot any of the others, but I have a 6' GP100 stainless. It's so much fun to shoot, and I've never had an issue with it. Always goes bang, and makes you smile when it does. :):

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    A good friend on mine has a S&W 686+ 6" that is real nice. Has me wanting to get the 586 6" since I am not a big fan of the looks of stainless.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ruger SP101

This! SKU 5771, a .357 mag with 4.2" barrel.

I really like the GP100 and the 686 plus is fantastic.

But in my hand, the SP101 is almost magical. It just feels GREAT.

I wouldn't mind 3 of them: .357, .327, and .22

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I own a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six and a S&W Mod 60 in .357. Carry the Smith daily and love it. Shooting it is fun, but not as much fun as shooting the Ruger. Both have smooth trigger pulls, but the weight of the Ruger allows it to handle the recoil a bit better. When i touch off the Smith, I know it. You will not go wrong with either brand. I will admit that I have been looking at a 6" GP100 with lust in my heart.

Top Bottom