• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Great summary!

Maybe I can ask some questions and the OP can modify the original or someone else can chime in?

1. Can someone speak to "concealment"? Required for IDPA, but what about USPSA? What does everyone use? (I don't own a fishing vest) What do people use when it is cold?

USPSA and IPSC do not require concealment and it's actually unusual to see it at a USPSA match (in some states it would be illegal!). When you do see someone shooting from concealment, they usually have objectives that do not necessarily coincide with winning the pistol match. BarryIN is someone you will see do it, and he actually does well in the results anyway. I do it sometimes too.

For IDPA, the best bet is to conceal the way you normally do, appropriate for the weather. If you really wear a fishing vest, wear it. If you wear a jacket, wear it. If you wear an untucked shirt, wear that. For most people, the fishing vest serves the purpose of being a "uniform" for IDPA. For some, it's a competition tool to allow them to draw more quickly and consistently because vests can be arranged to be swept clear of the gun very easily. Yeah, some people really do wear them, but I only know one person who really does all the time.

2. Magazine holders in USPSA? Unlimited?

Depends on the division. The rule book has a set of appendices at the end with equipment rules for all divisions. The most restrictive rules are for production and single stack divisions, but it's more about where you can put them on your belt than the type of mag carrier.

And I have all sorts of questions about when can you change a magazine in both, but I figure I'll figure that out when they penalize me...

In USPSA, you can change magazines whenever you choose, although some standards/classifiers may require magazine changes at certain times. In IDPA, most mag changes must occur behind cover if it exists, except for standard exercises.

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I thought that IDPA had changed the rules recently to either allow .22LR or to add a separate class for .22LR

No
    you may have heard a club shoot an IDPA style match with .22lr, but there is not .22 division in IDPA

from the
    International Defensive Pistol Association

The firearms are grouped into five (5) divisions: 1) Custom Defensive Pistol (.45ACP semi-automatics only); 2) Enhanced Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber semi-automatics); 3) Stock Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber double action, double action only, or safe action semi-automatics); 4) Enhanced Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers); and 5) Stock Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers). See Appendix One – Equipment for delineations in the revolver divisions. Shooters are then classed by like-skill levels with progression from Novice (NV); to Marksman (MM); to Sharpshooter (SS); to Expert (EX); and, finally, to Master (MA).

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If shooting USPSA would a Fobus 2 mag carrier work ok, and then maybe one extra mag in the back pocket, "just in case"? I'm just asking because I already have the mag carrier, and have practiced a bit with it.

I originally bought it for range fun/drills, but I'm interested in trying some steel/USPSA matches.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    If shooting USPSA would a Fobus 2 mag carrier work ok, and then maybe one extra mag in the back pocket, "just in case"? I'm just asking because I already have the mag carrier, and have practiced a bit with it.

I originally bought it for range fun/drills, but I'm interested in trying some steel/USPSA matches.

What are you going to be shooting? I started by using two fobus pouches on the belt. It is okay to load from your back pocket.

If it is a popular gun, someone will loan you gear if they have it available.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    dunno....open? Figured if I showed up and said "I got a Glock 22, and I wanna shoot", they'd point me where to go. hahaha.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    :postpics:

Some of us need visual help!

Links to gear that is standard or accepted in USPSA/IDPA as a starting point or here is the top of the line set up.

I know that it's all personal, but at least I would have a place to look and a rescource to keep coming back to when I'm upgrading.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Got any tips/suggestions for staying warm WHILE shooting?

I had to remove my coat and gloves on Saturday when shooting and deal with the cold for a few minutes.

What are your methods of dressing warmly while still wearing a belt/holster? Does anyone wear gloves?

Top Bottom