• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Good long underwear, not that cotton crap, wool socks and hat.
    I wear gloves, hats, heavy coats, etc but take off the outer layers to shoot.....cause I'm too tactical for my coat....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got any tips/suggestions for staying warm WHILE shooting?

I had to remove my coat and gloves on Saturday when shooting and deal with the cold for a few minutes.

What are your methods of dressing warmly while still wearing a belt/holster? Does anyone wear gloves?

Under Armour and other quality gear. Good boots, hat and a coat that easily removes for shooting. I haven't found gloves that I'm happy with shooting in, so I keep my gun warmish, covered with the coat.

As important as the gear, you need to put fuel in your own furnace. Eat a good breakfast. Heavier on the breads and potatoes. Lighter on the eggs and meat.
    Add to that hot coffee or tea and Snickers for a couple hours in.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Under Armour and other quality gear. Good boots, hat and a coat that easily removes for shooting. I haven't found gloves that I'm happy with shooting in, so I keep my gun warmish, covered with the coat.

As important as the gear, you need to put fuel in your own furnace. Eat a good breakfast. Heavier on the breads and potatoes. Lighter on the eggs and meat.
    Add to that hot coffee or tea and Snickers for a couple hours in.

These are all great suggestions

I hate to add that shooting ballast helps as well. look at me and you will see how I know :)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    dress like you would to be out in the cold for a couple of hours

keep rain gear in the trunk, a big plastic trash bag to cover your shooting bag

shed the layers as needed to shoot

waterproof boots or shoes with good traction

remember black may be tacticool, but it is also slimming

it is not a fashion show, but if you look like a dork it will be pointed out

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Dress warm. One thing to add. Please dont show up dressed like your just ordered every piece of mall ninja stuff BlackHawk sells. You CAN if you want but people will point and giggle.
    Bring water/gatoraide and a snack. If your diabetic like me make sure to have what you need. You will bottom out if its a long match.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    During the cooler or colder months, I like a long sleeved mock turtleneck with a short sleeve or two layered beneath. The cargos I wear a lot are roomy enough to put a pair of mesh shorts on beneath. Add a warm cap that covers your ears, mittens, and a fleece jacket you can shed before you shoot and that's all I've found that's required for me.

If you're active, resetting the stages after each shooter, there is rarely an opportunity to cold ;) .

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Now that it is getting hot outside

logo_withguymonkey-med.jpg

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    The 2011 shooting season has started for a few of us. Over the next month, most, if not all, USPSA, IDPA, steel, multigun, and other clubs will have started their match calendars.

For those of us that shoot regularly in one or more of these sports we already have the gear we need. But, if you’re new, you probably have some questions. Okay…you have A LOT of questions. But, that’s no problem because this thread is intended for you.

First, a few words about safety at a shooting match. All USPSA, IDPA, steel, and multigun matches are run on COLD RANGES. What does that mean? Do I need a sweater? No. It means you only handle your gun in the either (1) the safe area where no ammunition is allowed or (2) when the range officer or safety officer specifically tells you. That’s it. Period. End of story. Comprende? Any other time, and it’s the end of your shooting day. Otherwise, keep the muzzle in a safe direction and your finger off of the trigger unless you’re engaging a target. That’s WAY oversimplified, but if you’re doing these things, you’re on the right path. etc...- dp

I know this is an old post, but this was very helpful information. I've been considering competition and this was just what I needed to decide how to get rolling. Thanks.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I know this is an old post, but this was very helpful information. I've been considering competition and this was just what I needed to decide how to get rolling. Thanks.[/QUOTE

There is a USPSA match at atlanta Sunday
    Sign in is at 0900
    Come on up

you are in a good place , less than 2 hours from a lot of matches

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    Just read this thread for the first time tonight. Good stuff!
    One thing that wasn't covered was ammo. How much ammo does one bring for a competition? What kind of ammo (FMJ, JHP, etc.)? Does it matter? Or should you just bring the cheapest stuff that runs well through your gun?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    take about 250 rounds to a local match. it's more than you typically need (approx 150), but sometimes re-shoots are necessary. any you don't use you can use the next time.

no need for specific ammo. factory ammo does fine. most who do it a lot reload to save costs and better tune their guns to their preference.

9mm or bigger is required, eg no .380s, etc.

-rvb

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    After reading this thread i feel confident enough show up to a competition and get smoked by the regulars. Everybody has their first comp though. I can't wait to check out Steel next this coming friday at MCFG!!

Top Bottom