• ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    …kilt onnah skreetz!

Comps validate training. Shoot them. They’re fun (and eye opening). I’ve always been one to work through problems, but early this year I had the front sight take a hike mid-stage and it stopped me in my tracks. I didn’t know what to do without a sight, so I just kinda admitted defeat and took a 0 on the stage. If I’d just finished, I surely would have scored better than a 0.

I took that as a wakeup call, and now I’m working on training back up to my “old” standard of fighting through whatever comes up. I’d way rather hit such “walls” at a comp so I can focus my training efforts than have it happen when I don’t get a second chance…

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    …kilt onnah skreetz!

Comps validate training. Shoot them. They’re fun (and eye opening). I’ve always been one to work through problems, but early this year I had the front sight take a hike mid-stage and it stopped me in my tracks. I didn’t know what to do without a sight, so I just kinda admitted defeat and took a 0 on the stage. If I’d just finished, I surely would have scored better than a 0.

I took that as a wakeup call, and now I’m working on training back up to my “old” standard of fighting through whatever comes up. I’d way rather hit such “walls” at a comp so I can focus my training efforts than have it happen when I don’t get a second chance…
    Likewise, when my kids were teens and shooting handgun silhouette (a "slow fire" precision sport), I would sometimes insert a dummy round into a mag to simulate a misfire in a practice session. They would suddenly have to eject the "misfire", remove the mag and add a round to it, reinsert mag, get back in position, find the correct target (at distance) and continue firing, all while the clock was running down, gunfire on both sides of you, and targets in your line of sight falling downrange.

Result? During a match, a misfire went from "OMG, WHAT DO I DO???" to "no big deal, I got this". Preparation is still preparation, it's just how you teach it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    …kilt onnah skreetz!

100% I’ve had an RMR I forgot to loctite pop up 1/2” but not come off during one. Had to shoot side ways. Lost a front sight once. Had to aim down the top over the further targets and estimate muzzle drop. You learn a ton shooting competition. You also learn how little you need actual sights on pistol to hit decent size targets. Lol

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Objectively it's good to do some competition and training.

Why don't more people participate in competition and training: $, time, false view of their abilities
    Over the years I've been at gun shows for some clubs I was in, trying to draw more interest. There were so many people that said they just shoot in their back yard. That's fine for some things, but you are tested more in a competition and that will up your game. Especially if you shoot with buddies that are competitive with each other. That always adds more desire to get better and beat them.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Competition will get you:

1) A group of volunteers that runs everything and dwindles over time

2) A group of "interested people" that never shows up

3) A list of $3,000 gun set-ups for sale in the classifieds, posted by the people from 2) who got focused on a new "squirrel" that they won't show up for either

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'd really love to test myself in competition. However, it is now more expensive than ever and my other hobby playing pool limits my time. I do plan on playing less pool this summer so I can go to some steel challenges.

Problem is, I am a pretty competitive pool player after 9 years in the league. I doubt I'd be very competitive in shooting although if I shot competition as much as I play pool I might become a good shooter as well. I am living on a limited budget nowadays which is why I reload more than ever now.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Over the years I've been at gun shows for some clubs I was in, trying to draw more interest. There were so many people that said they just shoot in their back yard. That's fine for some things, but you are tested more in a competition and that will up your game. Especially if you shoot with buddies that are competitive with each other. That always adds more desire to get better and beat them.
    Right. I thought I was pretty good until I started shooting with a friend who actually was good and showed me a shot timer.

Now I know, I'm alright but not great. :)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have played various action pistol games since the 1970's. (I really liked bowling pin matches with my .44 haven't seen one in years) There is nothing that will show weakness in a shooter or his equipment like a course of fire set up by someone else and a stop watch. Even my "games guns" are pretty plain, not wanting to grow dependent on narrow focus, specialized gear.

The guys that run unlimited with all the specialized gear ARE amazing to watch.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I have played various action pistol games since the 1970's. (I really liked bowling pin matches with my .44 haven't seen one in years) There is nothing that will show weakness in a shooter or his equipment like a course of fire set up by someone else and a stop watch. Even my "games guns" are pretty plain, not wanting to grow dependent on narrow focus, specialized gear.

The guys that run unlimited with all the specialized gear ARE amazing to watch.
    I shot bowling pins in a Dave Spaulding course. Very fun (wasn't with a 44 though).

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom