• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Just make sure that the tool she ends up with is one that she's comfortable with, NOT one that she accepts because you're comfortable with it.

Or you could have read my post an understood that is my recommendation already.

SHe has already decided: 6 inch 627 smith and wesson. She has decided she wants to target shoot a lot more before carrying, and that makes a good all around gun for her.

SHe wants a glock, but she made that decision after shooting two sigs, three different glocks and six different revolvers, two 1911's and at least one XD. But will be waiting on getting a handgun for carry until after she gets her permit.

And as far as safety rules go, ever person that has contacted me in the last three years for info regarding carrying or selecting a handgun has listened to me talk about safety. I stress the main simple rules, and there response almost unfailingly is that," I knew that, thats common sense"

Back on point of the discussion of the brought up this little spat.

I urge against the 1911 simply because it is more finicky, it is more complicated than many other designs of handguns. so for a new shooter it is almost always easier to adapt to the less complicated models. The less they have to learn initially the better. K.I.S.S. mentality if you will. Trying to start out with a 1911, requires much more training than starting out with a sig or a glock.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I urge against the 1911 simply because it is more finicky, it is more complicated than many other designs of handguns. so for a new shooter it is almost always easier to adapt to the less complicated models. The less they have to learn initially the better. K.I.S.S. mentality if you will. Trying to start out with a 1911, requires much more training than starting out with a sig or a glock.

Just as a point of reference...as a "new shooter" (back in the day), no matter my choice from all the research I did, I was continually REdirected to a K.I.S.S. gun by others more "knowledgeable" than me... Reluctantly, I bought it because it was the only thing that kept getting pushed on me due to "simplicity" and at the time, I really didn't know any better...I hate it. Other than the fact that it's a handy "truck" gun or BUG to keep around, I wish I'd never have gotten it.
    I was a n00b and all my research lead me to a 1911 which I bought anyhow!! I'm glad the instructor I finally found didn't think it was too complicated for me to learn on and train with! They feel best in my hand and I like the safeties.

Again, I'm glad you found what works for you, but don't assume that every new shooter would find "learning the safeties" daunting...because really, there's nothing to them. As stated, the grip safety is utilized simply by holding the gun as you normally would anyhow.
    The thumb safety is a flick of the thumb when drawing...not a big deal if practiced.
    The most important safety is between your ears anyhow.
    I guess maybe that could be considered the most complicated one that requires the most training, eh?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Bottom line, you choose against the 1911 because you don't like it. That's fine. If you choose to crusade against that platform, have at it. The 1911 system hasn't been one of the most popular, if not THE most popular handgun in the last 100 years, because it's no good. Of course, you might have been able to teach John Browning something.... ya just never know. :rolleyes:

Be glad you have a choice, and by all means make your own choice.

One last comment.... "starting out with a 1911" ? Who advocated that? Start small and work up...... but here again, it's all opinion.

Top Bottom