• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is public property, however there is an event going on, which has an equivalent event in another city that was attacked. Your rights mean nothing to them. I'm sure you could also argue that it's the same as any events going on at Lucas Oil.

Lucas Oil is not public property, and you buy tickets with terms and conditions to attend. If I am walking in the area on a public street where a running event happens to be occurring it is a different animal all together.

I agree. I dont want to be searched either, but on the other hand im not doing anything illegal and if it helps to stop people from a getting hurt in a disaster especially kids then im ok with it.

So you willingly give up your rights because you are not doing anything illegal? Does that mean that anyone who invokes the 5th amendment, or the 4th or the others for that matter is doing something illegal ? I don't buy into that line of thinking.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    National Guard will be at the corrals searching bags. If you're a spectator, you won't be let in. I understand the latter half of that.

What I don't understand is that if you're just a spectator on public property, if you're carrying a bag you will be searched. . . . so unconstitutional.

Impromptu 2A rally at millitary park?

One of my coworkers has something to do with that reserve MP unit . I asked him about lawful spectators carrying and all he had to say was "Conceal it. OC, though lawful, is not a good idea if you want to watch the event without hassle or possible ejection from the event."

Honest question:

Is the ING legally allowed to do this? Sounds to me like they're effectively going to be used as law enforcement?

I'm not sure about the legality of it but they are a reserve MP unit. Unarmed, providing security. Kind of like ESG provides security for Victory Field or CSC for Lucas Oil except this is on public property.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Honest question:

Is the ING legally allowed to do this? Sounds to me like they're effectively going to be used as law enforcement?

-J-

The NG can be used/activated under state orders by the Governor and perform LE functions
    and it is not a violation of Posse Comitatus.

As far as the legality of searching participants/spectators that is really no different than when you go into Verizon center etc.

As far as the one that posted the scenerio of "carring powder and reloading components through the area of the mini to a friends house" No disrespect but thats a stupid thing to even suggest. What do you think would happen to someone doing that. Yes they are legal but taking components together somewhere like that the person will come out on a loosing end of most arguments with that one.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Lucas Oil is not public property, and you buy tickets with terms and conditions to attend. If I am walking in the area on a public street where a running event happens to be occurring it is a different animal all together.

Then why is the public paying for it?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I ran the 5k. While waiting for wifey to finish the mini, I cc'ed while wearing my running shorts and carrying a cooler for wifey's knee ice packs. I wasn't searched as I walked passed a DHS truck and a huge SWAT like truck near the finish line.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They said no bags....just before the last mile there were cars lining the street. If they were concerned about our safety why did the cars not get moved out of the route?

Wasn't there but, usually no vehicles should be allowed however it is usually SOP to run bomb dogs through the area before hand. Did that happen? hopefully

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Then why is the public paying for it?

Not because I think it is a good idea (I personally understand the economic impact of sports teams, etc but am still opposed to public funds being used in such a way) , but at least when it is being used for Colt's games, etc, it is not considered public property, and you are subject to the terms and conditions of the ticket, just like going to a concert, etc.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Guess I should have worded it better. I meant the fact that an event is going on with a large crowd, therefore personal protection is needed just as much, if not more.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The NG can be used/activated under state orders by the Governor and perform LE functions
    and it is not a violation of Posse Comitatus.

As far as the legality of searching participants/spectators that is really no different than when you go into Verizon center etc.

As far as the one that posted the scenerio of "carring powder and reloading components through the area of the mini to a friends house" No disrespect but thats a stupid thing to even suggest. What do you think would happen to someone doing that. Yes they are legal but taking components together somewhere like that the person will come out on a loosing end of most arguments with that one.

Except that Verizon is private property and the city streets are public property.

Yes, it's stupid. But last time I checked, stupid isn't illegal. But, search without probable cause is illegal.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Except that Verizon is private property and the city streets are public property.

Yes, it's stupid. But last time I checked, stupid isn't illegal. But, search without probable cause is illegal.

Not to get into a big lawyer/word battle so please don't take it that way but there is a "slight" difference between a search of a residence (where PC or a warrent would normally be needed) and the pat search of a person (resonable suspicion) as in this cace where the police are either called to and observe or observe on their own two people with a gun out. that is suspicion to check them out. In this case they weren't searched I believe but depending on how it went it could have and been legal.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wasn't there but, usually no vehicles should be allowed however it is usually SOP to run bomb dogs through the area before hand. Did that happen? hopefully
    Bomb dogs can only sniff out what they are trained to sniff out. Bombs similar to those used in Boston (Li-ion batteries inside a pressure cooker) would never be caught by a bomb sniffing dog because they don't contain explosives and bomb sniffing dogs are trained to sniff out explosives, not batteries.
    Not to get into a big lawyer/word battle so please don't take it that way but there is a "slight" difference between a search of a residence (where PC or a warrent would normally be needed) and the pat search of a person (resonable suspicion) as in this cace where the police are either called to and observe or observe on their own two people with a gun out. that is suspicion to check them out. In this case they weren't searched I believe but depending on how it went it could have and been legal.
    You forgot the articulable part of RAS. RAS is pretty well defined and there isn't as much difference between the 2 scenarios as you suggest.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis

So carrying a backpack is reasonable suspicion? For what crime exactly?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bomb dogs can only sniff out what they are trained to sniff out. Bombs similar to those used in Boston (Li-ion batteries inside a pressure cooker) would never be caught by a bomb sniffing dog because they don't contain explosives and bomb sniffing dogs are trained to sniff out explosives, not batteries.

You forgot the articulable part of RAS. RAS is pretty well defined and there isn't as much difference between the 2 scenarios as you suggest.

So carrying a backpack is reasonable suspicion? For what crime exactly?

There are dogs trained (we evolve our way of doing thing to match the bad guys and what we have seen overseas) for such IED typ devices but does some of the local PD's have that resources? Can't answer that.

If you read my example of someone having it out waiving a gun around (not in a holster but having it out in a parking lot that the Officer observed) that would give the officer reasonable suspecion to see the legitimacy Are they up to no good, is it a legitamite face to face sale, is there something that they pulled a firearm out for to defend against etc

Yes my example was somewhat exagerated on resonable suspecion but there was another thread here on INGO with just such a scenerio on a face to face sale. I used that example to stay out of the grey area and the ones here that want to play "gotcha".

I'm not suggesting stopping someone for just having a backpack that is going to be a whole other set of scenerios than "just a backpack"

Top Bottom