• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm 5'9 140. My G19 disappears at 4'oclock IWB. Try it.

Edit: With a baggy tee, you can see it print. But you cant tell what it is. Looks like it could be a phone, insulin pump, etc.

I used to carry at the 9-10 (lefty), but when I discovered appendix I never went back. It just suites me better overall. especially for work, considering I'm not supposed to carry at work and it disappears on me there. I've been slowly converting all of my carry holsters for appendix now.

I still carry on the side in the winter some, but only when I'm wearing a coat all day and not at work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Expat and MCgrease has it right.

3:00 IWB is the way to go. It's best to balance your GUNBELT with mags OWB at 9:00.

4:00 draw requires your elbow behind your body. That is difficult to impossible without body movement when sitting, in the car or with your back against a wall.

We FOF drilled on how to pin or panic push threats into walls that carried behind their hip. Their draws were compromised or stopped altogether.

Don't forget the poor gent killed by the church terrorist. He had to stand up from the pew to draw. The slow response got him killed.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I open carry......

rimg.php

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Inside/Outside 3/4 Kydex inside, leather outside, small/medium/large GLOCK in .40 mostly.
    Inside front pocket small/medium Glock in the summer, 9/.40.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I personally like the appendix inside-the-waistband position (12 o'clock to 1 o'clock since I'm right handed) more than the hip position for these reasons:

1. I can conceal a Glock 19-sized handgun under any shirt I own with minimal printing. Smaller guns simply disappear. This matters for me especially since I sometimes have to carry in prohibited environments

2. If using a proper gun belt and a holster designed specifically for appendix carry -- one that includes a mostly-neutral holster cant, "claw" attachment, and maybe a muzzle pad -- the appendix position isperfectly comfortable and well-balanced, actually more comfortable and better balanced than the hip position in my opinion

3. I can draw much quicker and more reliably in a seated / driving position. (Admittedly, this is probably due to much more practice from the appendix position, but it's always felt awkward drawing from 3-4 o'clock when seated)

However, there are issues with appendix. If you don't get a holster specifically designed to accommodate the position it will be very uncomfortable. If you have a bigger gut it will probably be uncomfortable. Also have to be especially careful when re-holstering so as not to point the gun at oneself, but honestly I find this to be equally problematic, yet often overlooked, for hip carry...

Lucky Gunner's youtube channel has some good videos on appendix carry if you'd like more info on pros/cons

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I carry at 9 o'clock, under my left arm pit. I am less than 150 lbs so I'm on the thin side, but I carry a full-sized Glock that no one knows is there. I can get to it while in the drivers seat and wearing a seat belt. That seems important to me. I believe you can get accustomed to any place you carry. Decide what is important to you and then practice.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I run 3'oclock IWB fullsize in kydex.

I feel it conceals better when moving around than 4'oclock does.
    With a subcompact that has a really stubby grip, 4'oclock becomes better.

I stopped worrying about printing about a decade ago. I'd rather have more capability than worry about someone noticing it.

SolidDragon74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2020
    Northern
    I carry IWB at 4:00. TT Gunleather holster is what I use. Held up well for 2 years so far. Before that it was OWB at 3:00. Hides well and is comfortable enough for me

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I carry on my left side at 9 o'clock. Glock 17 with a TLR-1 weapon light in a Philster IWB Holster. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'5" 295 pounds. During the winter I switch to a Safariland ALS OWB Holster.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Anyone carrying cross draw style? Seems like it would be a good way to carry if you spend a lot of time driving but I guess a shoulder holster has the same benefit

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I use a shoulder holster more than a belt holster so the answer should be 9:30 the way the gun lays. My best shoulder holster is made by Red Nichols who is retired now. I carried 5 years at a work place that had a rule no guns and no one ever said anything to me. You don't say to anyone you carry at work so the boss can't be told. What they don't know they don't see!

Top Bottom