Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    A salesman at Midwest gun exchange in Mishawaka,IN told me it is only legal in 2 states. Texas and one other. I'm glad I know now. I just applied to carry 2 months ago because of the S*** might hit the fan times we now live in

That guy got it wrong on both counts.

OC isn't legal in Texas. Even printing is illegal there. They are in the process of a petition signing campaign to get that changed.

There are several OC legal states. Many you don't even need a permit to OC.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I feel as though if we do not open carry from time to time, but not all the time mind you, that we will lose our right to do so. Our reps can easily reason, as you have, it's better to CC so the BG does not see and, therefore, grab the gun and shoot you with it. I don't know about you, but I do not want to lose my right to choose between OC and CC. I do not want to see Indiana turn into Texas. I don't OC because of any deturrent effect. That possibility is there, yes, but it's not why I OC. As I've stated before, it's merely an education-of-the-sheeple reasoning why I OC. Also because I don't want to lose my right to do so. I CC when I leave Plainfield or I feel I should CC. I don't normally tuck in my shirt so my shirt and coat cover it anyway. Unless my shirt rides up and my coat swings open. But that's not my point.

My point is, that while it may not be tactically advantageous to OC, it is educational to those who don't know we are there and would be uncomfortable knowing we are. If we expose them to that fact they must learn to deal with it or stay at home. Since they HAVE to go grocery shopping or the gas station, they must learn to deal with it. Otherwise we WILL lose our right to OC. We must educate the sheeple every chance we get. What better way to get that chance than by creating the situation in which they show their fear and give you a chance to approach them in the most friendly of manners?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    A salesman at Midwest gun exchange in Mishawaka,IN told me it is only legal in 2 states. Texas and one other. I'm glad I know now. I just applied to carry 2 months ago because of the S*** might hit the fan times we now live in

Idiot must have misunderstood someone else. OC is legal in all but about 2 states, texas being one of them.

Many people don't know that OC is legal in rural areas of Illinois!

Guns shops are the worst place for getting info on firearms laws. LEO's are second :):

Going to have to OC next time I'm in Midwest.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    I conceal carry, but I'm not that good at it. If the jacket comes off, I reach up high, oh hey theres the gun, I'm OCing. Oh, and I print real well. I can't help it if the muzzle is definitely showing threw my IWB holster in my jeans. I'll OC more once I buy a gun that has a retention holster available. I carry a gun that is kinda hard to find holsters for.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    It's just a S&W 3914. (Think Lady Smith, but all blued). I can find a decent amount of thumbreak holsters, but I don't like that idea. I'ld like a serpa or something else like that that has a push button, but to get that I need to be able to afford a newer gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Raven Concealment will make a holster molded to any gun. They don't offer what you might consider "positive retention" like a Serpa with a button, but they do snap into place like most kydex holsters. It might be worth a look.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    15 pages of fellow gunowners dogging on one another for how they carry :n00b: If it is legal to do either whats the piont as long as you carry ! One thing that kinda burn my ass is when a LEO tries to sway people away from anything that is is legal . Their opinion hold no more wieght than the average person because that is all they are !!!!!!!!!! :patriot:I will no longer grace this thead with my presences as I have said and read all I wish to on this subject .

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If one insists on comparing the open carry of a pistol by uniformed police to the open carry by armed citizens, then this can only point to the hazards of open carry IMHO. Several police officers who are killed in the line of duty are shot to death with their own firearms, snatched out of level 2 or 3 security holsters, usually by mentally unstable or drug-crazed individuals. Is there a holster that is regularly worn by open carriers that provides the retention of a level 2 or 3 duty holster? I think not. On the rare occasion that I've seen someone open carrying in Indy, it's always been in some cheap Kydex or nylon rig.
    First, let me say that I don't think the deterrent factor for a uniformed officer comes form the gun at all, I believe it is the uniform.
    Metro, to your point about officers being killed with their own weapon I would think that may be more because they (as a function of their job) place themselves into situations like you mentioned, crazy people or druggies. I'd guess that when it has happened is when they have attempted to subdue the person and come into close physical contact with them. Not that it couldn't happen to a person with LTCH, but I see it as less likely due to the fact that I won't be going to a situation to try to arrest someone. I also think that it speaks more to wearing the uniform making them a target rather than the weapon.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wow.

In the two years since this poll died off there have been countless others asking exactly the same thing.

Always roughly the same numbers, too.

ETA: I had forgotten how much I loved this thread. Such wonderful arguments! :D

Thanks for bumping it to the top. ;)

Last edited:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I prefer to conceal, I don't want to bring attention to myself, but be able to defend myself if the need arrises.

It makes it quite difficult to defend yourself when your gun is twisted up with your shirt as you attempt to retrieve it. How many various situations have you put yourself in and attempted to quickly draw? Sitting vs standing etc..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    A while ago wifey saw a customer at her workplace, sitting on a chair in the lobby while waiting to be helped. He was dressed in a business suit. The guy, evidently, was CC'ing in the small of his back. He seemed to forget that he was CC'ing, would slide back in the chair to lean against the back, would grimace and flinch and then slide forward to the edge of the chair. Fast forward a few minutes, he would slide back to lean back, grimace, flinch and slide forward again.

Yes, he had no obvious disability, and he could have had recent back surgery or a back injury, but wifey made him as a CC'er, and she's usually pretty good at picking out those customers that are carrying CC or DC, let alone OC.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CC 90% of the time it just seems to draw a lot less attention to you. OC'ing makes me feel alot more responsible for things. For example walking around wally world you always have to keep in mind small children are around, and gang bangin' hoodlems with their pants around their ankles. You just never no what kind of bad situation having your weapon exposed can bring. Not to mention in a place like that any robber will see the armed citizen as the only form of security to stop them.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    CC when I carry. i want the BG to think I am just another easy target should the situation arise. Only then will he be "surprised!"

Top Bottom