Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Voted CC but, do both almost equally and when CC, it's kind of "Zero effort CC". I usually carry a Bianchi Carrylock with a full size 1911. If my shirt is untucked, it's CC but, the bottom of the holster is hanging out. If my shirt is tucked in, it's OC, unless I'm wearing a jacket.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Open carry for work, then when I'm off, I'll do either. Depends where I am and who I'm with. Also I'm kinda new to OC being legal. Previous states I have lived in had no provision in the law. You got a Concealed Carry Permit. I love IN carry laws! :ar15: :draw:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I don't have a thing against OC at all, and I'm not saying I would never carry openly. I prefer to carry concealed in part because I like being sneaky, lol, and I carry concealed because sometimes I wonder what some one I meet would think if I were wearing it openly. Would they treat me differently? Would they feel uneasy? I don't want anyone to feel threatened even if that feeling is neither justified or rational. I realize that not everyone is informed and open minded. So if I'm carrying concealed I've got just as much fire power that can utilized at a moment's notice but it's just not out for anyone to worry or think about.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I don't have a thing against OC at all, and I'm not saying I would never carry openly. I prefer to carry concealed in part because I like being sneaky, lol, and I carry concealed because sometimes I wonder what some one I meet would think if I were wearing it openly. Would they treat me differently? Would they feel uneasy? I don't want anyone to feel threatened even if that feeling is neither justified or rational. I realize that not everyone is informed and open minded. So if I'm carrying concealed I've got just as much fire power that can utilized at a moment's notice but it's just not out for anyone to worry or think about.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I rarely deep conceal CC, and I rarely OC with 0 chance of the weapon being concealed. Most of the time, it's OWB at 4 o'clock. Sometimes the jacket or shirt I'm wearing covers it a bit, sometimes not. I'm not out to scare the sheep (maybe that should be in purple), but neither am I going to pretend to be one.

Last weekend, I was picking up some things at Kroger, my sweatshirt covered probably half my holster. Since it's kydex, I suppose it could have been mistaken as a phone holster. That is, until I stepped up on the bottom lip of the freezer case and stretched to grab 2 things from the back wall of the top row. I'm sure my weapon was fully visible to the stock clerk who was filling that section, since she was working in the next door, and it was right at her eye level when I climbed into the thing.

Was I concerned, not at all. Was she, :dunno:. It was pretty well OC after that, because I didn't fix my shirt and left it tucked behind the grip.

devildawg00311

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Se Indy/Wanamaker
    I know that this is a personal preference type question, and I dont want this to be an ugly debate.

It started in another thread so I thought I would start a poll. Which doy ou prefer, concealed or open carry or not to carry? Please give reasons for your view.

Me I prefer Concealed. I have read numerous reports and statistics that once a criminal has decided to commit a crime they will do everything they can to eliminate a threat. To me having the BG see your gun before you have presented it puts you in danger.

It is your own preference but im a concealed guy. Let's think about it for a minute. Your out at dinner somewhere open carry, 1st that makes you a target for the bad guy.They are going to try and take you out first cuz they know you have a gun. You are their biggest threat.....that they know of. Now if you were concealed then they wouldnt know the differ and the chances that you could protect yourself or intervien are greater. 2nd remember your sourringings. Your at dinner and little old grandma at the table next to you doesnt want to see guns around her. She grew up in a different time when the only people who had guns were police and bad guys. It would make her feel more at comfort with them hidden. Just a thought.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Isn't making the sheep feel safe what has gotten us into the trouble we are experiencing now?

We are debating on how we should practice a GUARANTEED right, given to us by our Founders!

A license for our rights just gives the Feds leverage to take them from us with our permission.
    We need to come together and fight for ALL of our gun rights, not for the ones we like or practice.

It's all or nothing, if we keep going the way we are we will have nothing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...1st that makes you a target for the bad guy.They are going to try and take you out first cuz they know you have a gun. You are their biggest threat.....that they know of. Now if you were concealed then they wouldnt know the differ and the chances that you could protect yourself or intervien are greater.

The old targeted first argument... it doesn't hold water.

History seems to indicate that criminals don't target citizens who are open carrying first, or at all - they try to avoid them.

I will agree that if they don't see you are armed they are more likely to proceed with their attack. If you're just itchin' to use your gun, this will most likely increase your odds of needing it.

Top Bottom