• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Loose a gun at a match...no worries...I can hang around and help paste... loose a gun on the street....not for me. I will stick with quality specific glove fitting leather holsters. Lost Guns (sidearms coming out of holsters when they shouldn’t) Are like ND’s. Few own up to it or the story goes wide.

A properly made kydex holster has loads of retention and isn’t going to come out. They’re “glove fitting specific.” If you’re using some Bubba special made in some guys garage that wasn’t formed properly then sure. Unless you’re talking about a gun grab but you’re just as susceptible to that as you would be with a leather holster.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A properly made kydex holster has loads of retention and isn’t going to come out. They’re “glove fitting specific.” If you’re using some Bubba special made in some guys garage that wasn’t formed properly then sure. Unless you’re talking about a gun grab but you’re just as susceptible to that as you would be with a leather holster.

My Blade Techs Scabbards will loose a gun with a blunt force or a pry out (gun grab). My Leather will take a blunt force And makes a gun grab very hard. And again, since all presentations may not end in gunfire, I prefer quiet leather. My leather does not break, crack, loose screws, depend on an modular belt loop to fail. Downside to leather is they cost more and require a better skill set for presentations. Choosing the right leather requires some effort as well. Oh yeah....and they look better too.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I might be bubba in the barn but my kydex/leather IWB are tight. If I don't see the slide grip lines and every other detail molded in I didn't do it right. I can't stand on my head but if I could I would completely trust my hybrid holsters, and I can't say that about any leather I've had, they might retain but wouldn't want to try it. Don't know that I have the best I do turn my nose up at cheap.

Kydex range holsters that I've bought are a whole different animal. A retention screw and a loose mold in my experience. IMO there should be a big difference between what one would choose for EDC and tactical/range. I can't imagine taking a folded up piece of kydex that doubles as a range holster, modifying the mount, and sticking in my pants. Doesn't look comfortable ornery retentive to me. But then again, I haven't tried it.

The TL;DR of this is comparing no retention apples to apples leather to kydex quality holsters should be similar retention.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My Blade Techs Scabbards will loose a gun with a blunt force or a pry out (gun grab). My Leather will take a blunt force And makes a gun grab very hard. And again, since all presentations may not end in gunfire, I prefer quiet leather. My leather does not break, crack, loose screws, depend on an modular belt loop to fail. Downside to leather is they cost more and require a better skill set for presentations. Choosing the right leather requires some effort as well. Oh yeah....and they look better too.
    Have to agree, nothing beats the look and feel of putting on a nice OWB leather and walking around with gun on hip. My problem is I can't conceal very well that way. Sometimes I need to care about that and sometimes I don't.

Do you have any experience with the hybrid type?
    Certainly not trying to change your mind, sincerely wondering what your experience has been.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Have to agree, nothing beats the look and feel of putting on a nice OWB leather and walking around with gun on hip. My problem is I can't conceal very well that way. Sometimes I need to care about that and sometimes I don't.

Do you have any experience with the hybrid type?
    Certainly not trying to change your mind, sincerely wondering what your experience has been.

Yes I have a JM4 Tactical Hybrid. Its called the Relic (I Know the shoe fits:rolleyes:) It is very high quality. Been wearing it for 6 months now with no complaints. Worked it out in the rain and passed the wet test for adhesion (Blade Tech Fails). It also passes the inertia test, jumping off a pickup tailgate or any movement where a sudden stop sends looses the gun. Tripping backwards hitting the ground and 90 degree Kydex scabbard can loose the gun. IWB Kydex is usually more secure than scabbard Kydex.

https://jm4tactical.com/?utm_source...-81068749&mc_cid=ecf8906fa7&mc_eid=42985814e7

IMG_7543 (002).jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Leather over Kydex for comfort on IWB carry.

Leather seems to form a little better in my experience. Note: I am OWB exclusively. Concealed carry, but OWB.:) This is why I'm wanting to try another Kydex for my Compact to see if I can improve the comfort and fit vs my current Bravo holster. If I wasn't such a miser, I'd gamble on a NSR but if it isn't any better, then I spent $100 for nothing.

My body and clothing don't lend themselves to IWB carry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Leather seems to form a little better in my experience. Note: I am OWB exclusively. Concealed carry, but OWB.:) This is why I'm wanting to try another Kydex for my Compact to see if I can improve the comfort and fit vs my current Bravo holster. If I wasn't such a miser, I'd gamble on a NSR but if it isn't any better, then I spent $100 for nothing.

My body and clothing don't lend themselves to IWB carry.

Same here. I've got too much "W" inside my WB. :):

Top Bottom