• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What is the logic behind no rails or weapon mounted lights. A couple weeks ago at the low light shoot it was very clearly demonstrated everyone that did not have a WML was at a severe disadvantage (at least IMHO).

For a 1,000 Alex.
    What is they would look funny on a revolver.....

Edit...

IFIFY

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Clay Pigeon again.

Just trying to follow the logic behind the rules set. More like mental gymnastics but I got the joke :laugh:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What is the logic behind no rails or weapon mounted lights. A couple weeks ago at the low light shoot it was very clearly demonstrated everyone that did not have a WML was at a severe disadvantage (at least IMHO).

Thank you for your reasonable question. Also a disclaimer that we are talking civilian street carry only and many Proflessional Applications definitely have a need for WML.. Please remember that this is my personal preference and it may not fit everyone’s cup of tea. I train students that prefer WML as well if that’s their choice. Many stay with them and some end up going a different direction after some comparisons.For me, the added bulk, weight and electronics has no place on a street carry 1911. There is a diminished return for the 99.9% of the time that I carry a 42 oz CCW that makes the improper balance, bulk and electronics of rails, lights and lasers get in my way. Balance of a shooting Iron is a very important piece of gun design of yesteryear but not so much today. For shooting a lot and often, I nourish the balance into the economy of motion in recovery and etc. I do not consider being disadvantaged without a WML On my 1911’s as it is all what you train with. again thank you for visiting this thread.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thank you for your reasonable question. Also a disclaimer that we are talking civilian street carry only and many Proflessional Applications definitely have a need for WML.. Please remember that this is my personal preference and it may not fit everyone’s cup of tea. I train students that prefer WML as well if that’s their choice. Many stay with them and some end up going a different direction after some comparisons.For me, the added bulk, weight and electronics has no place on a street carry 1911. There is a diminished return for the 99.9% of the time that I carry a 42 oz CCW that makes the improper balance, bulk and electronics of rails, lights and lasers get in my way. Balance of a shooting Iron is a very important piece of gun design of yesteryear but not so much today. For shooting a lot and often, I nourish the balance into the economy of motion in recovery and etc. I do not consider being disadvantaged without a WML On my 1911’s as it is all what you train with. again thank you for visiting this thread.

Hard to argue with the swing of a government or commander sized 1911 IMHO that and feel in hand at least for me

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Smith-Wesson-MP-R8-8-shot-.357.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really like my g19 setup. It is stock, except for swapping the sights for trijicin hd's and adding a light. I am also a believer in stock oem mags.

I have been in at least 4 different classes where I have seen people's fiber optic front just fall off. There might be a brand that is bombproof or a way to prevent it, but i can break an anvil with a washcloth, so I stay far away from them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have had a FO on my 1911 since I got it. 1000's of rounds later and I'm still on the original red insert.

And it has been dropped, ouch...by my wife off the stand at the range.

But I don't disagree with not having one on a gun for defensive purposes. My 1911 is a range gun only.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    for looks

I know I've pulled that out of context, but it's one of the things that really annoys me, even though I'm a bit guilty of it myself. I bought a green frame for my SIG P320 just because I wanted to. :abused: I know that the color of the frame on my pistol offers me no tactical or technical advantage whatsoever. It's still accurate as F with either frame, and that's all that really matters.

You can tell from a lot of pictures that people post here and especially elsewhere that they are modifying their guns for just the looks. That's fine. Not everyone likes vanilla, not everyone likes chocolate, and everyone knows that strawberry ice cream is best. :cool:

Small pixelated camo patterns look awesome at close range, when laid out among trees or lichen-covered rocks, but at distance the colors wash out and look like an oddly colored gun-shaped gun.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Plastic Holsters
    Plastic Magazine followers (Wilson etc)
    Shortened slide stop for looks on right side of gun
    Fiber Optic Front sights
    Porting
    Slide Cuts
    Dots
    Nothing less than 4lb trigger pull
    MIM parts
    Lightweight frames
    Painted On Finishes
    Recoil Buffers
    Trigger Shoes of any kind
    Oversized Mag releases
    Oversized Slide Stops
    Oversized Cylinder releases
    Moon Clips
    Radiused charge holes
    Bobbed Hammers
    Taped Safeties
    Extended Magazines
    More than Six round cylinders in any caliber
    Fat Target grips
    Slim grips
    Swartz Style safeties (Kimber) etc
    Rails
    WML
    Lasers
    Mottos, names or statements written on piece

Again, this is just my Personal Preference for any piece I would carry on the street. Please no Personal attacks from the usual. Just curious if any INGOERS have a no way list?

Your personal preference doesn't stand up based upon statistical defensive gun use. I also don't think you need to personally show anyone the fallacy of our ways by showing why any of these are "bad". Inherently, this argument is based on a fallacy, you're positing that your beliefs are fact, when they are based upon your feelings of unease about these things...but I'll bite.

1) 6 round cylinder: if I remember, the average gunfight is done in 3.9 shots, you're limiting yourself if there is more than one attacker.
    2)Extended Capacity Magazines: I think you're mistaking normal capacity magazines for something.
    3)Rails/WML: statistically speaking, gunfights occur in low light or twilight. I'd rather have both hands on the firearm, or be able to illuminate and identify a threat.
    4)Over-sized mag release/slide stop/right side shorty slide stop: Not everyone has ginormous meat hooks, some people like to make their tool fit their hand, thus increasing the likelihood of efficacy. And on any gun other than a 1911, I believe it's also a slide release. I agree that you should rack a slide to feed from a new mag, sometimes, people are left handed.
    5)Porting/Slide cuts/Dots: I feel these all go together IMO. Rifles typically are easier to get on target with a red dot versus irons. Put a dot on the target and squeeze. Also, as many people indicate in AAR from adrenaline, often times the person defending themselves becomes target focused (or so lots of people like to believe). If you believe this, putting a dot superimposed on the target helps to aid in target acquisition and transitions. As for cuts/porting, if you have extra weight, you need to accommodate it with either different springs or just lighten the slide.
    6)Plastic holsters: plastic holsters are far more durable than leather. They don't soften and potentially cause an ND by improper maintenance as I believe someone has already eluded to. Noise is irrelevant. If you're going to shoot someone, there's likely going to be a very loud rapport from the end of your muzzle anyways.

Be easy on me Thor. I edited this a few times ;)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Your personal preference doesn't stand up based upon statistical defensive gun use. I also don't think you need to personally show anyone the fallacy of our ways by showing why any of these are "bad". Inherently, this argument is based on a fallacy, you're positing that your beliefs are fact, when they are based upon your feelings of unease about these things...but I'll bite.

1) 6 round cylinder: if I remember, the average gunfight is done in 3.9 shots, you're limiting yourself if there is more than one attacker.
    2)Extended Capacity Magazines: I think you're mistaking normal capacity magazines for something.
    3)Rails/WML: statistically speaking, gunfights occur in low light or twilight. I'd rather have both hands on the firearm, or be able to illuminate and identify a threat.
    4)Over-sized mag release/slide stop/right side shorty slide stop: Not everyone has ginormous meat hooks, some people like to make their tool fit their hand, thus increasing the likelihood of efficacy. And on any gun other than a 1911, I believe it's also a slide release. I agree that you should rack a slide to feed from a new mag, sometimes, people are left handed.
    5)Porting/Slide cuts/Dots: I feel these all go together IMO. Rifles typically are easier to get on target with a red dot versus irons. Put a dot on the target and squeeze. Also, as many people indicate in AAR from adrenaline, often times the person defending themselves becomes target focused (or so lots of people like to believe). If you believe this, putting a dot superimposed on the target helps to aid in target acquisition and transitions. As for cuts/porting, if you have extra weight, you need to accommodate it with either different springs or just lighten the slide.
    6)Plastic holsters: plastic holsters are far more durable than leather. They don't soften and potentially cause an ND by improper maintenance as I believe someone has already eluded to. Noise is irrelevant. If you're going to shoot someone, there's likely going to be a very loud rapport from the end of your muzzle anyways.

Be easy on me Thor. I edited this a few times ;)

Thank you for your list and reading my posts. If you reread my OP, you find nowhere that I did not write that these things are bad. Many of them are on my competition guns. What I thought I wrote was, nothing on my list is on my EDC CCW Street Guns as MY personal preference. Statistics being what they may be, I stand with my preference and you can stand by yours.

Top Bottom