• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There are custom savage gunsmiths out there that will take the accuracy even farther if you want to pay for it. F class records have been getting set with Savage rifles.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Here is how I make decisions like this ...

I pretend that the various items I am considering buying are placed on a table in front of me & I am able to pick any one of them & take it home for free.

The one out of the bunch that I would choose for free, is the one I would buy, even if it means saving up a little longer for it.

jbrittin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2010
    I'd go for a .308. Carolos hathcock didn't have any trouble with it... And it's nice to be able to buy rounds at wal mart if you really need to.

Muzzle Flash

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Valpo
    Dang !!! I'm a savage man , went looking at both .308 and 30 - 06 savage rifles/package deals on my last road trip . Came back with a Puma 454 . Dang!!!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've also been looking at getting a .308 bolt gun. I've been looking at the Mossberg Night Train II. As far as an out of the box gun goes it sounds like a pretty nice deal. From my understanding it comes with a Barska 6-24x60mm variable powered scope, and a Harris bipod already mounted. Does anyone have any personal experience with this rifle? I'm not exactly sure on the price of the Night Train but was told that it's under $800. Also how are the Barska scopes, and the Harris bipods? If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a precision rifle, I want a tack driver. I would hate to make that kind of purchase, then end up dumping another +/-$500 on glass and another +/-$100 on a bipod. I currently have a Savage .270 and I love it, so I guess the real question would be how would Mossberg bolt rifle stack up against the Savage rifle?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Buy the Savage. Barska scopes do not hold up well to recoil and Mossberg has little experience in the precision rifle world. Buy the Savage and put the best glass you can afford on it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've also been looking at getting a .308 bolt gun. I've been looking at the Mossberg Night Train II. As far as an out of the box gun goes it sounds like a pretty nice deal. From my understanding it comes with a Barska 6-24x60mm variable powered scope, and a Harris bipod already mounted. Does anyone have any personal experience with this rifle? I'm not exactly sure on the price of the Night Train but was told that it's under $800. Also how are the Barska scopes, and the Harris bipods? If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a precision rifle, I want a tack driver. I would hate to make that kind of purchase, then end up dumping another +/-$500 on glass and another +/-$100 on a bipod. I currently have a Savage .270 and I love it, so I guess the real question would be how would Mossberg bolt rifle stack up against the Savage rifle?

Sounds to me like you're trying to buy a complete package already made up and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd just stay away from the package you mentioned though. I have only read less than impressive things about the night train and the Barska scope wouldn't be anything to brag about either. From your description I don't think you'd be happy with the night train. Mossberg vs Savage is a win for savage every time.

If you want a premade package check out snipercentral.com and look under the equipment links. That guy puts together nice starter packages at very reasonable prices and there are plenty of options to choose from.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Savage 12 F/TR

Savage 12 Palma (1:13" twist, beware!)

Savage 10 FP (much more affordable)

I have dreams about making my 110FP shoot a 0.25" 5-shot group. I'm not there yet. Factory match ammo that I've tried all shoots sub MOA.

FWIW I'd take the Stevens 200 Or a Marlin XS7 over the Mossberg. Even with a $150 Redfield 3-9x40 scope, Leupold mounts and rings you're still under $600 (including shipping and FFL). Savage/Stevens Model 200 - .308, LifeTime Warranty : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Last edited:

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    I shoot a Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20 inch heavy Barrel with a Night Force 20 MOA base with Leupold rings and a Nikon Monarch 5x20 power scope on top 50mm and Im all over center of targets at 700 yards and love the BDC on the scope!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I shoot a Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20 inch heavy Barrel with a Night Force 20 MOA base with Leupold rings and a Nikon Monarch 5x20 power scope on top 50mm and Im all over center of targets at 700 yards and love the BDC on the scope!

What kind of accuracy do you get out of that at 100 yards? Are you using handloads or factory ammo? That's a nice rifle and one fo the few Remingtons I've thought about buying.

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    Right now I am using Federal 168 grain Gold Match or Gold Label how ever its posted on the box. I have my gun zeroed at 100 and it shoots a group all on top of each other. I have more money in the optics base rings and harris bi pod then the gun and thats prolly what you should do! I love the Nikon Monarch stuff and the BDC takes alot of guessing out of the game!

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    sps700.png

Top Bottom