• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thinking about getting a .308 bolt gun set up for distance... what do you guys recommend for a set up? pics would be great.

Looks like a lot of Savage fans here so I'll jump in and suggest a 700 Remington. I started out with a factory 700 SPS Varmint with the 26" heavy barrel. It shot well out of the box with factory ammo but I wanted to build it up as a 1,000 steel plate gun.
    700before.jpg

I ordered and installed an Accuracy International 1.5 stock, a NightForce direct mount 20MOA base and a NightForce 8-32 NSX scope. The factory 40X trigger was ok, but I installed a Jewell 1.5 ounce to 3 pound trigger set to 1 pound. Here's what it looks like now.
    700after.jpg

You can add options and upgrade as you go (or as you have funds available). I started working up loads using 168 gr HPBT A-max bullets, 46 grains of Varget, CCI LR primers and Prvi Partizan brass. Here's a 100 yard, 5 shot group.
    700group.jpg

This is out of a factory receiver, bolt and barrel. I'm shooting it now until I see some loss of accuracy and then I will look at a new barrel and maybe having the bolt and receiver upgraded as well. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a .308 and a little fine tuning.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i'll go ahead and throw this one out there since i don't think anybody mentioned it yet:

Howa 1500

I have a Varminter Supreme in .308 and and pleased with it thus far. They are competitively priced and have a great deal of potential as long range shooters.

Read up on them and see for yourself. I will say that mine has the sweetest trigger straight out of the box of any rifle I have handled and groups extremely well at 100 yards. When warm weather and range time permits I plan to push it way out and see how it does. I have not shot a Savage so I won't argue against them.

The Howa uses the same scope bases as a Remington 700 so you have a lot of options and there are more and more aftermarket stock options for them these days.

I will also add that I am a big fan of the Remington 700 LTR. I have one in .223 and if I had the money laying around I'd grab one in .308 without hesitation.

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    I picked up a Remington 700 LTR a few months ago. I have not had much range time with it but I am impressed with what I have seen so far. The 20 inch barrel is nice for weight and maneuverability but probably keeps it from being considered a 1000 yard rifle. That is fine with me though as I do not plan on sitting down a 1000 yards too often, if ever. Love the .308 round and the rifle feels really nice. It is set up with a Leupold VX III 6.5-20x50 and a Harris bipod. Only disappointment so far is in the trigger. I am not sure why but it comes from the factory around 6 lbs and needs worked down to 1.5 or 2. Otherwise,I am very happy with it.
    92dPrc

Last edited:

slimgoodman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The savage 10FP is great right out of the box and is affordable--(many used ones on the market as well) The remington 700 is fantastic also with great out of the box accuracy--I own both but shoot the remington most of the time.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I went with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I was very pleased with the rifle right out of the box. I mounted a Leupold MK4 10X40mm LR/T M3, on a set of Leupold QRW steel 30mm rings with a Nightforce 20MOA steel base. The scope has a bullet drop counter for a standard 168gr bullet as well as 556, 270, 30-06, and 300 win mag. Set the action in Bell and Carlson A2 style stock, and had a Badger Ordnance knob installed on the bolt. Harris Bipod with #9 adapter. I figured this would be an accurate rifle, but it has far exceeded my expectations. I hope to put an SAS Titanium Arbiter and Badger Ord A5 detachable mag floorplate on it this spring.
    IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If you live in the Northern half of Indiana, you can still get a R700 Police, for only $749, until the end of December. The R700 Police is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box .308's at any price.

You can get them from Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka and Elkhart during their holiday sale.

snipinginblackandwhite.jpg

Sub, sub MOA
    prematch3shot0122moa.jpg

Top Bottom