• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm kinda sorta thinking about selling my .556 AR uppers and my .308 rifle and going all in to 300BLK

I reload on a XL650, so I would definitely buy all the equipment I need to chop and make my own casings from 223/5.56 and reload my own.

I like the idea of having 1 good rifle caliber that "does it all" and is not a 7.62x39 commie round... not that I'm biased :rolleyes:

For reloading... how may times can I reload 300BLK brass before it has issues?
    With such a small neck, it seems to me that it could be reloaded a lot more times than 5.56 or .308, which is a plus.

If I sell all my 5.56 & 308 stuff, I'll have a pretty good pool of money to work with. Maybe even SBR & supressed, but not at first.

Pros & cons?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would not sell 100% of your 556 and 308 stuff. However if you wanted to sell of some stuff to jump into 300 blk I can't say it's not a good idea! I LOVE 300BLK! A lot of guys will think you are crazy and say not to do it, but man it's such a great caliber. I reload subs and supers both pretty cheap. The most expensive part is your projectile and I'm getting subs for 11cents which sound amazing through a can. Supers are whatever tickles your fancy but 125grain pills seem to be the ticket for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally wouldn't want a 308 "fighting rifle" anyhow. 5.56 is good. I say all of this when I'm not invested in 308 though. I've got 5.56 guns and 300blk. If I were to get into a caliber such as 308 it would be to shoot far way, and in that case it would be 6.5 creedmoor... The biggest think with 300blk I think is reloading and having a can. I am not telling you to do it, but if you do decide to I don't think you will regret it. It'll be 6 months from now though, and during your wait who knows what you'll be thinking haha. I'll just say that I in no way regret jumping on 300blk, it's my favorite caliber to shoot right now! Think it over, I'm sure you won't be disappointed though.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I make all of my 300BLK brass from .223/5.56 brass that has neck or shoulder damage. I recently tried a brass life test and took 20 .223 casings of mixed headstamp, fired them in a semiauto .223 and then when the neck split (averaged about 15 shots) I chopped them and made 300BLK brass out of them. I then shot them in my 300BLK semiauto rifle and am still shooting most of them are still in the running after 20 more firings. I've trashed four or five so far.

In my Handi-Rifle the 300BLK brass is running about 40-50 loads.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That's good to know! I have lots of life left in what I've got! Heck I'd have to order more primers and powder before I got that many loads in !

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So, you've got an excellent varmint rifle (.223) and an excellent big game rifle (308) and you want to sell them both to buy a rifle that is neither?

The 300AAC, Blackout, Whisper...whatever you want to call it...is good for shooting heavy-for-caliber bullets suppressed. It is a very highly-specialized cartridge of dubious value. It's a lousy varmint cartridge and a marginal big game cartridge, at best.

If you want a new gun, go for it...but don't sell two others that are intrinsically BETTER in order to do so. :twocents:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    bottom line is 223 is a lot cheaper to blast away compare to 300BLK. vote with your money.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would say you have the best of both worlds already. If you wanted to consolidate loading stuff and gear the 300 would be a good option. Then dump the 308.

My 300 pretty much sits in the back of the safe.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    I'm fairly new at this but my plan is to keep my .223/5.56 and shoot good brass through it. Then use the casings to load subsonic 300blk.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm fairly new at this but my plan is to keep my .223/5.56 and shoot good brass through it. Then use the casings to load subsonic 300blk.

That is what I do. They run through a 223 AR a few times then the Blacky once or twice then scrap bucket. Works out good.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I was just thinking I would like a good all around rifle round to focus on and 300BLK seems to be the one.
    For practical/SHTF senario, I'd have to save at least one basic 5.56 upper & a case or two of ammo in the closet.
    If I sell my SCAR17 & mags, I can fund a nice 300BLK upper, get a can, and dies to reload and still have money to spare for components or maybe a nice optic.
    I like that the 300BLK brass can be reloaded 20-30-40 times. That's very appealing too.

If I have a nice SBR/Suppressed 300BLK that's reliable, why would I need 5.56? (other than SHTF senario).
    Just thinking out loud...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I have a nice SBR/Suppressed 300BLK that's reliable, why would I need 5.56? (other than SHTF senario).
    Just thinking out loud...

That depends entirely on why you have firearms at all. Do you hunt for varmints, deer or any other larger game, or do you just shoot for fun? Are you serious about being prepared for a SHTF scenario, or do you feel like you should give some consideration to it without going nuts? For a whole lot less money than you're talking about, you could buy a Hi-Point 4095 of 4595 and have just as much fun. When it comes to sweeping a room, should that be a serious need, you wouldn't be under-gunned. You'd be able to buy or load inexpensive ammo that you can also shoot 20-30-40 times.

Personally, I have zero interest in an SBR/Suppressed anything. I read articles and see videos about how important it is to suppress your gun...how it's a "safety" issue, to protect your hearing. What a bunch of horse-sh**. If you want a suppressed gun, go for it, but don't make it about something it's not. Guns are supposed to go "BANG!"...and a 50 cent pair of ear plugs is all it takes to protect your hearing. If you shoot a lot, add a good set of muffs. Spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, just so you can skip the plugs/muffs, is penny wise and pound foolish.

Bottom line: Buy what you want, just be sure you understand your interest/needs before selling something very useful to buy something that is arguably less useful.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That depends entirely on why you have firearms at all. Do you hunt for varmints, deer or any other larger game, or do you just shoot for fun? Are you serious about being prepared for a SHTF scenario, or do you feel like you should give some consideration to it without going nuts? For a whole lot less money than you're talking about, you could buy a Hi-Point 4095 of 4595 and have just as much fun. When it comes to sweeping a room, should that be a serious need, you wouldn't be under-gunned. You'd be able to buy or load inexpensive ammo that you can also shoot 20-30-40 times.

Personally, I have zero interest in an SBR/Suppressed anything. I read articles and see videos about how important it is to suppress your gun...how it's a "safety" issue, to protect your hearing. What a bunch of horse-sh**. If you want a suppressed gun, go for it, but don't make it about something it's not. Guns are supposed to go "BANG!"...and a 50 cent pair of ear plugs is all it takes to protect your hearing. If you shoot a lot, add a good set of muffs. Spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, just so you can skip the plugs/muffs, is penny wise and pound foolish.

Bottom line: Buy what you want, just be sure you understand your interest/needs before selling something very useful to buy something that is arguably less useful.

Great advice!

I agree about the SBR suppressor stuff and dumping tons of money into that kind of thing. Better off spending money on ammo and getting out and doing some shooting. 300BLK is not cheap and is the reason mine sits idle.

If you are near Lake County be glad to let you shoot it.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Great advice!

I agree about the SBR suppressor stuff and dumping tons of money into that kind of thing. Better off spending money on ammo and getting out and doing some shooting. 300BLK is not cheap and is the reason mine sits idle.

If you are near Lake County be glad to let you shoot it.

I shot a 300 Whisper, years ago, out of a TC Contender. It wasn't as loud as my 30 Herrett, but was otherwise uneventful. I don't have to tell experienced shooters this, but once you've shot enough guns, you start to realize they are all tools to be used and enjoyed, but there isn't all that much to distinguish between them.

To put it another way: If you close your eyes and someone hands you an AR to shoot, are you really going to know the difference between a 223 firing 55gr bullets at 3,100fps or a 300 BO shooting 125gr bullet a thousand fps slower? I mean, without looking at the cases coming out the ejection port! :D

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When Travis Haley talks... people should listen. The 300 AAC Blackout is a multi-purpose round capable of more than what many people think. While it may not be the "perfect" round for anything specific, there is no "perfect" round. People prefer different things based on their uses for it. I wouldn't suggest selling your .223/5.56 and .308 rifles to fund it unless you know it is something you really want and would rather shoot it preferably more than those rifles. And for the record, I agree... you kinda HAVE to suppress it... I mean, it's made for it.

[video=youtube;tgKjbySsAik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik[/video]

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Not to bust your chops, CK, but what purpose would you assign the 300BO, outside of suppressed fire, where it will deliver more than a 223 or 308?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Not to bust your chops, CK, but what purpose would you assign the 300BO, outside of suppressed fire, where it will deliver more than a 223 or 308?

In supersonic form its a fair bit more potent than the .223 on, umm, thin skinned game. It's like having a 7.62x39 that will actually function in an AR-15.

Top Bottom