• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    For ages now I've intended to "at least" get a stripped lower or two to have around, but just haven't done it. I think the time has come to get with the team. There's too much crazy stuff happening and too much uncertainty toward the future to hold out much longer.

If I were to go off the shelf, I'm still leaning toward DD and browsing BCM pretty seriously.

Worst case scenario, ars don't do anything for you but you have the piece of mind knowing you have a rifle that will last you through hell and back if the time ever comes.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    [/B]
    Worst case scenario, ars don't do anything for you but you have the piece of mind knowing you have a rifle that will last you through hell and back if the time ever comes.

That's exactly the plan. I want it be as reliable and carefree as my old 12oz ball peen hammer. Just a tool in the safe for hammer time if something ever requires hammering and I want to give it just as little thought. Grab it, hammer, back in the safe.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have a entry level ar that runs just fine, but as time went on I gave it to my son for his first ar. I then decided to go a step further and get what I think is a good ar a Lwrc di. Bought a good at scope for it a couple dozen mags. And couple thousand rounds.
    Only big regret is not taking a Revere rider carbine class so I can get more out of it. So what Brad69 said at the beginning holds the real truth.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd look hard at buying at least a couple stripped lowers (right now.) You'd have less loss in the insane event of AR's becoming illegal and confiscation.

Another thought is to try to buy your lowers from private individuals while you still can. You'll pay a bit more to allow the seller a profit, but not have to be concerned about a confiscation that traces the numbers back to you. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That's exactly the plan. I want it be as reliable and carefree as my old 12oz ball peen hammer. Just a tool in the safe for hammer time if something ever requires hammering and I want to give it just as little thought. Grab it, hammer, back in the safe.

SOLGW. This is coming from a guy who has owned all 3. SOLGW. I like my ddm4 even sbr'd it. my bcm had issues being picky about magazines so it's gone. I can't sing it enough solgw it's the pill you should be taking

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'd look hard at buying at least a couple stripped lowers (right now.) You'd have less loss in the insane event of AR's becoming illegal and confiscation.

Another thought is to try to buy your lowers from private individuals while you still can. You'll pay a bit more to allow the seller a profit, but not have to be concerned about a confiscation that traces the numbers back to you. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

All of these things are also on a low simmer... :)

As I said, if I were to buy off the shelf... Not sure that's what I'm going to do just yet or not. Unexpected options came my way and I'm waiting for more info before making a decision. I may buy a grip of 80% lowers just for funsies, but, it's not a high priority right now.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I was in a similar boat a few months ago. Not being a true fan of the platform I decided to go entry level. I built mine and enjoyed the process.

What I discovered is what I should have already known. It's the accessories that really make it something you'll enjoy or not.

*Good magazines.
    *Decent sling.
    *Good optic
    *Ammo choices
    *Other fiddly bits you didn't know you wanted.

I built that first one out of spite just because too many people kept harping about the fact we shouldn't have them. Now, like many others, I am looking at having more. There are two more stripped recievers in waiting.

Chris

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Grab a PSA kit and slap one together yourself with the parts you like. Spend the rest on mags and ammo. :)

Now's the time to buy!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was in a similar boat a few months ago. Not being a true fan of the platform I decided to go entry level. I built mine and enjoyed the process.

What I discovered is what I should have already known. It's the accessories that really make it something you'll enjoy or not.

*Good magazines.
    *Decent sling.
    *Good optic
    *Ammo choices
    *Other fiddly bits you didn't know you wanted.

I built that first one out of spite just because too many people kept harping about the fact we shouldn't have them. Now, like many others, I am looking at having more. There are two more stripped recievers in waiting.

Chris

Yeah, this right here. :lol2:

... a nice trigger
    ... BUIS
    ... muzzle break
    ... Gunfighter charging handle
    ... Magpul's latest buttstock of the month, oh and their newest grip coolness
    ... High end LW 15" rail
    ... weapon light

...Then a better barrel
    ...better BCG
    ...pretty matching furniture, cool sayings, lightening parts

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm betting this is at least the 1,000th post on the this topic, so forgive me...

For a long time now I've been thinking I should probably own at least one AR platform rifle just because everyone else in the country does, so it's the most common parts, ammo, mags, etc if anything really bad should ever happen. It just seems like a good thing to have around.

However... I'm not really that "excited" about them. I'm much more interested in com block or or other more "odd" stuff so I've never put a ton of research into them, plus there are so many options and opinions that it's sort of hard to run them all down. When I've asked this question a few times in the past, in other places, the overwhelming response has either been to build one or buy like a $5000 rifle. I'm not too interested in either idea. I don't want my rifle to become my hobby or become a car payment.

What I want is something that is going to run straight out of the box, be of high enough quality that it's going to run every time for decades to come, be of reasonable accuracy ("average" AR accuracy would be fine) and doesn't weigh a ton in case I should ever have to actually carry the thing around. I don't hunt or fancy myself as a Rambo guy or any of that. I just want a quality rifle that I can practice with and keep in the safe if I ever need it. The most I could ever see doing with it would likely be critter control if I ever end up with some property that requires it... and honestly, I'd probably want to use something more fun and less practical for that if given the chance, but... You get what I'm saying. A good, plain, .223 AR that is just going to be a nice tool to own.

For a long time now I've been leaning toward the Daniel Defense DDM4 series as it seems to check a lot of my boxes and I've heard good things (with a major plus being that the V7 LW comes in at 6lbs on the nose, loaded with an a decent optic, I should end up with a nice light rifle at the end of it). I have the feeling that on any given day the price point would be right around $1500. Does this all seem reasonable given my goals? Are there other, similar, options that I should also consider around that price point? This is something I'd probably be looking to do inside of the next 6-12 months, so if there is stuff in the pipeline too, that would also be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Select a BCM or Colt that fits your size, weight, and spec requirements.

If you absolutely need an optic and are unhappy with the sights, go trijicon.

Going with a DD will really cut into your budget for getting a decent optic, remember, your optic budget should be equal to your rifle budget. The rifle is only as good as its sighting system.

If it's just a hobby rifle, then go get a PSA and find an optic from primary arms that you find interesting, otherwise consider the above.

Also don't play barbie with it, if it's a serious rifle. It'll come from the factory with everything necessary minus a sling, magazines, and an optic.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Select a BCM or Colt that fits your size, weight, and spec requirements.

If you absolutely need an optic and are unhappy with the sights, go trijicon.

Going with a DD will really cut into your budget for getting a decent optic, remember, your optic budget should be equal to your rifle budget. The rifle is only as good as its sighting system.

If it's just a hobby rifle, then go get a PSA and find an optic from primary arms that you find interesting, otherwise consider the above.

Also don't play barbie with it, if it's a serious rifle. It'll come from the factory with everything necessary minus a sling, magazines, and an optic.

I got an email that colt wasnt making anymore ar's for the civilian market. Which is fine. They have neutered lower recievers, unrefined triggers, mediocre barrels. You spend a lot more getting into a well set up colt than you will a dd.

Other than building a larp rifle there is no benefit to a civilian colt over any other decent manufacturer.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I got an email that colt wasnt making anymore ar's for the civilian market. Which is fine. They have neutered lower recievers, unrefined triggers, mediocre barrels. You spend a lot more getting into a well set up colt than you will a dd.

Other than building a larp rifle there is no benefit to a civilian colt over any other decent manufacturer.

The last I heard Colt was going belly up because they lost there military contracts guess they found another one. But it looks like they haven't learned there lesson yet. I could be wrong but when it came to Colt the last 20 years you paid more for the name than quality.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm betting this is at least the 1,000th post on the this topic, so forgive me...

For a long time now I've been thinking I should probably own at least one AR platform rifle just because everyone else in the country does, so it's the most common parts, ammo, mags, etc if anything really bad should ever happen. It just seems like a good thing to have around.

However... I'm not really that "excited" about them. I'm much more interested in com block or or other more "odd" stuff so I've never put a ton of research into them, plus there are so many options and opinions that it's sort of hard to run them all down. When I've asked this question a few times in the past, in other places, the overwhelming response has either been to build one or buy like a $5000 rifle. I'm not too interested in either idea. I don't want my rifle to become my hobby or become a car payment.

What I want is something that is going to run straight out of the box, be of high enough quality that it's going to run every time for decades to come, be of reasonable accuracy ("average" AR accuracy would be fine) and doesn't weigh a ton in case I should ever have to actually carry the thing around. I don't hunt or fancy myself as a Rambo guy or any of that. I just want a quality rifle that I can practice with and keep in the safe if I ever need it. The most I could ever see doing with it would likely be critter control if I ever end up with some property that requires it... and honestly, I'd probably want to use something more fun and less practical for that if given the chance, but... You get what I'm saying. A good, plain, .223 AR that is just going to be a nice tool to own.

For a long time now I've been leaning toward the Daniel Defense DDM4 series as it seems to check a lot of my boxes and I've heard good things (with a major plus being that the V7 LW comes in at 6lbs on the nose, loaded with an a decent optic, I should end up with a nice light rifle at the end of it). I have the feeling that on any given day the price point would be right around $1500. Does this all seem reasonable given my goals? Are there other, similar, options that I should also consider around that price point? This is something I'd probably be looking to do inside of the next 6-12 months, so if there is stuff in the pipeline too, that would also be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

So building your own is out of the question? You can build a very nice rifle with top name brand parts or cheaper name brand parts however you want to go, and it would be the way you want it. Barrel, BCG, and trigger group are the three main things IMO for an AR build.

titanictobyt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have the DDM4 V7 LW and I love it. I also have a S&W M&P Sport II. I’d say get one that isn’t breaking the bank and yet is still good quality. Spend some money on ammo and then if you like shooting an AR (which you will) upgrade or get a higher quality model like the DD series.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    You might wanna look @ BCI Defense out of Bremen, IN - just south of Valpo. They have a gun for sub $900 here on a search :

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/BCI Defense Professional

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/bci-501-001mcb-pro-series-5-56-16.html

Copper Custom carries them - I own a Professional 16" and it shoots equally as well as my BCM.

I am in agreement with most on here - get a lower cost AR, get middle tier glass and mount, get some Federal 62 grain ammo, get out there and send some lead downrange.

YMMV

Top Bottom