• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    I dunno if anyone has said it yet or not(Probably have, I just haven't skimmed through the comments) but BCM is a great manufacturer. I have an Aero precision lower on my AR with a BCM bolt carrier group and upper receiver. To be honest, lower receivers arent that important in an AR. So you can by just about any lower you want and just smack a good quality upper receiver on it. Overall I think mine was about 1100 or so before my optic. I went with a holographic and a 3x magnifier because I like the adjustability. Mine is also an SBR, but its about the same price for a full 16" length also. Maybe even a little cheaper.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Any list that puts the sport 2 in the top 10 loses all credibility. This is maybe a top ten of rifles you can find at cabelas, but not a top ten of what's actually available.
    If you notice, he is listing them as best in categories. The Sport II was best in the "affordable" category.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I was you 2 years ago, looking to get into my first AR but with a lower budget. I talked to a local gun dealer about ordering a PSA lower and he offered to build me one of higher quality for same cost. I ended up with an AeroPrecision receiver, mid level Magpul furniture and unknown mil-spec trigger for $160. I bought a .223 Wilde chambered, rifle length, stainless steel barreled upper with an m-lock free float handguard from PSA, came quickly and exactly as advertised. Slapped the two together for a cost right about $500. I used some Cabela's points and put a Bushnell TRS red dot on it and a decent sling. I have been shooting 2 gun matches, took a Revere Riders Carbine course (doing another in Oct) and tried two 3 gun matches. Between me, my sons and friends I have right around 1,000 rounds through it probably a little over. Shoots brass or steel ammo just fine. Have 3 different brands of mags and all run fine. The trigger was stickly in the first 20 rounds but a little oil and shooting and the gun has been dead reliable ever since. Honestly I have had zero problems with it. You can build the same gun right now for under $500 on PSA. Other models for a little less or a little more. As has already been said, use the rest of the money for ammo and training. The training is beneficial and FUN! For the use you describe I would have a hard time with a $1,500 rifle sitting in my safe (just my cheapo thought). If you still have money drop in a better trigger and buy the optic or optics for the type(s) of shooting you want to try. What ever you buy if you shoot it much you will have fun. The low cost of .223/5.56 ammo compared to other calibers helps make it fun. I don't think ARs are the greatest rifle going, lever actions are way more fun, Winchester 94 hits harder up close, my 1866 Yellowboy is the most fun to shoot and my .308 BLR will reach out and touch farther than I can responsibly shoot. Having said that I shoot the AR far more because I can afford the ammo and there are lots of places to train and compete close by. It's to hard to "show empty" to the RO/SO on the range with a lever but cake with an AR.

Get something now before some crazy law get passed and go enjoy it. Just my two cents worth.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I appreciate all of the feedback, guys. You've all given me a lot to think about and now it's just a matter of saving my pennies up and making a decision.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I got an email that colt wasnt making anymore ar's for the civilian market. Which is fine. They have neutered lower recievers, unrefined triggers, mediocre barrels. You spend a lot more getting into a well set up colt than you will a dd.

Other than building a larp rifle there is no benefit to a civilian colt over any other decent manufacturer.

You heard wrong. The upper receivers are the exact same thing being issued to troops in the field.

The lower receivers only have a webbing to prevent an auto sear being installed. They are milspec now, unlike back when they used different pin sizes.

Everything is marked with cage codes, bolt is marked as magnetic particle inspected, full auto carrier, staking is all A++. Rifles now feature all the M4 upgrades, with the feed ramp and upper receiver changes. Lower now has an ambi safety.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You heard wrong. The upper receivers are the exact same thing being issued to troops in the field.

The lower receivers only have a webbing to prevent an auto sear being installed. They are milspec now, unlike back when they used different pin sizes.

Everything is marked with cage codes, bolt is marked as magnetic particle inspected, full auto carrier, staking is all A++. Rifles now feature all the M4 upgrades, with the feed ramp and upper receiver changes. Lower now has an ambi safety.

I still don't think colt juice is worth the squeeze unless you're in that 750 range. SOLGW builds duty rifles cheaper than the 6920 that are exponentially better, with non neutered lowers. Colt has a name tax, and in this market full of better gear at the same price there is no need to pay it.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Building your own is the cheapest and best choice.
    Dont skimp on the barrel.
    Buy a good trigger.
    And you will be golden.
    Its not hard to do and I would be willing to help you in any way.
    Just pm me!

Sterndern11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2018
    Zionsville
    For "good" quality at bargain price, its worth a look at Aero Precision.

They are not custom grade tack drivers, but those guys have a large legitimate outfit with some serious dollars in machinery and R-D in Washington and IMHO make the best bulk produced rifles of anyone.
    No I don't own one, I have several "upper end" rifles that I am extremely attached to and built myself. But I used to own one, use Aero Precision receivers in lots of builds, and have seen nothing but reliability from everyone using them. BCM/DD and some others are very nice, but do not provide the same value. For a $6-700 AeroP you get a much higher quality firearm than a DMPS/Bushmaster. IMO DPMS/Bushmaster are not lifetime-quality rifles, while an AeroP very well could be, especially if your not trying to do ultra long range precision shooting.

I also strongly agree with the "save the rest of your money for ammo and training". ARs are wonderful, and I think un-arguably the most versatile platform on earth because of the insane aftermarket. Hope you enjoy.

If you do want more specific recommendations for models/versions/furniture feel free to DM me.

Walden54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    crawfordsville
    I went with a savage. It’s a great start. I didn’t want to mess with barrels or headspace. So I wanted to know I was getting a quality barrel from the get go. It’s average priced and I can change all the other goodies and leave the barrel alone and be confident in it until it’s time to get into that aspect. I dislike the blackjack furniture as all Blackhawk stuff feels like cheap junk to me. If it works for you then your even better off. Other than that it’s mil spec so parts are everywhere in every price point. I wasn’t real happy with the super cheap stuff like I see recommended in this post but we all have different tastes. But whatever you get enjoy it!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I must have been lucky. All of my ARs ran well; Colt, BCM, DD, PSA, RRA, Noveske... There were some quirks now and then, I will admit. Nothing serious though. I've had more trouble with Optics than with guns. EOTech have gone down, Trijicon have gone down, Vortex gone down.

The expensive stuff usually means tighter quality control & higher grade parts. There's always that QA/QC bell curve though so you can get a lemon from anyone, even the high end manufacturers, and a great gun from a low end manufacturer.

The most important thing here is to get something that will make you happy for the price you pay. Ignore the haters. Get some training and learn what kit works best for you.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I look at it like this for the OP... it's going to be his first AR-15. Would you recommend a Ferarri as a first car for a 16 year old, or would you recommend something a little more reasonably priced until you see how he drives? I overpaid for my first AR during the 2012 "Obama re-election panic". I wound up hating the gun. I was used to good ol' wood and steel milsurp rifles in larger calibers and this thing felt like a toy, so I sold it. Fast forward a few years, and I thought to myself, "You know, maybe I would like another AR, but I want something in 7.62/.308", so I got a kit from PSA and built one myself. Loved it! Still have it and it's still one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Loved it so much that I wound up building 6 more AR's in 5.56 using various combinations of parts from different manufacturers. I like them all now. The only one I've sold was an AR pistol. They've all done all that I've asked of them (which, granted, hasn't been a lot). They all run well with no problems.

Anyhow, all that was to say, the OP doesn't need to spend top dollar on a high end rifle for his first one. He may or may not like it. If he likes it, then he's got an excuse to upgrade. Win-win! :)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I look at it like this for the OP... it's going to be his first AR-15. Would you recommend a Ferarri as a first car for a 16 year old, or would you recommend something a little more reasonably priced until you see how he drives? I overpaid for my first AR during the 2012 "Obama re-election panic". I wound up hating the gun. I was used to good ol' wood and steel milsurp rifles in larger calibers and this thing felt like a toy, so I sold it. Fast forward a few years, and I thought to myself, "You know, maybe I would like another AR, but I want something in 7.62/.308", so I got a kit from PSA and built one myself. Loved it! Still have it and it's still one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Loved it so much that I wound up building 6 more AR's in 5.56 using various combinations of parts from different manufacturers. I like them all now. The only one I've sold was an AR pistol. They've all done all that I've asked of them (which, granted, hasn't been a lot). They all run well with no problems.

Anyhow, all that was to say, the OP doesn't need to spend top dollar on a high end rifle for his first one. He may or may not like it. If he likes it, then he's got an excuse to upgrade. Win-win! :)

A couple thoughts,
    Expensive is different from quality. Especially during high demand times.

In my youthful age I have learned recently that I get more use/ enjoyment out of paying more for a better quality product. I'm not talking about blindly spending. Even on new ventures, I will find myself more pleased.

Things I dont cheap out on anymore from personal experience.
    Tools
    Food
    Clothes
    Toilet paper/toiletries
    Guns
    Whiskey
    House
    Vehicle
    And service.
    These are just a few items where I truly value quality and anything less is not worth my time or headache.

Once again price does not qualify. Everyone had different budgets. And thus every situation is unique and these are just my personal thoughts.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The most important thing here is to get something that will make you happy for the price you pay. Ignore the haters. Get some training and learn what kit works best for you.

This is pretty much where I'm headed... I've had my heart set on that DD for awhile now and nobody has really talked me out of it (CM got close, and still might be close, or I may end up with more than one, but I haven't decided yet as I'm not in a huge hurry). In the thread so far, I've only read one borderline negative thing about DD, other than the price.

I also hear all of the guys telling me to build one, and I get it, but the first one I just want to be something that should run trouble free to get my feet wet and also carry some decent resale value if I absolutely hate it.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My first was a Colt 6920 and couldn't be happier. Had it a couple years now. Been through some courses with RR. Spent some good $ on optic. Other than furniture, she's bone stock. Glad I chose this route for my first. Certainly not my last.
    e3dfdb9f883e2ce29a0f61d662cf3c7a.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom