• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 660raptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Before I start asking for opinions, I would like to briefly summarize my personal experience with the 1911. I love the way it looks, how it shoots, and the brilliant history it carries; however, I have had nothing but sub-par experiences with a couple of them. I purchased a Colt 1911 (1991 series) two years ago that performed like.. well.. crap. The feed ramp was polished, barrel throated, "break in" period observed and it still would FTF or FTE once every 50 rounds. To top it all off, I used wilson mags. No limp wristing either. I have a buddy that has a kimber and a para that malfunction every time he shoots it without fail, and he has also taken the necessary action to make them "reliable"

I really want to love the 1911 and own one again, but I only own firearms that are 100% reliable even in the worst circumstances (glock 5,000 rounds, beretta m9 8,000 rounds, ak47 15,000 rounds). My question is, what 1911 will go bang every time out of the box with no exceptions? Thanks for your input.

jdl357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Lots of factors here. I have several Springfields that are 100% with ball ammo, HP's different story. I want to buy a Springfield EMP (9mm 1911) to carry. I've heard they are as reliable as they get.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My 1911 (Springfield Mil-Spec) has devoured everything I fed it. Nothing's to say you *can't* have a problem, of course, and I've seen all kinds of crazy things happen, so you never know..

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Weird your buddy has had problems with Kimber and Para. I own 2 Kimbers and have had exactly 100% success with them - stock from the factory.

I agree with the statement from cornfused - the no exceptions thing may not be possible. Guns are tools and can't be expected to absolutely never malfunction. Ammo may be your worst enemy. In fact, with all of the Glocks I've owned, I've had more FTE's that I care to mention (not a tun, but not 100%).

Better keep doing your research.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    As with many things on the internet, bad news travels faster than good news. I have eight 1911's, of varying manufacturers and have had no issues with any of 'em. People make 'em, and people are not usually known to be perfect......

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My experience is limited, as I only have one, and it is newly acquired, but it is a Wilson and it is not only crazy accurate, but it has had no failures of any kind so far.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I think people are hung up on the 1911 because it indicates a loyalty to the American Spirit. My thoughts are it is not a reliable weapon. It was reliable for its time but you dont want to be nostalgic in a gunfight. I would get a Glock. Yeah, they may be non-sexy(i think they are cool), but they are 100% reliability. Just above accuracy, reliability is what you want in a handgun. All your fine motor skills shut down when your life is at risk. You need something reliable, accurate, simple, and ergonomic. This adds up to a Glock. New Technology that can take a beating and never miss a beat. They are the best and I would stack them up to my Grandfather's 1911 anyday of the weak. Yes, I would want one but if I could carry only one gun it would be a Glock.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I know that doesn't answer your question but others have indicated a lot of problems with this weapon. I wouldn't want a 1911 personally that is my opinion. I respect others opinions. I was just a gun shop in Columbia City and the salesman was pushing a guy to a 1911. He then proceeded to tell how his Kimber "blew up" when he dropped it. He said he had the safety on and dropped the gun(accidentally) straight down. He stated that the downward inertia pushed the firing pin in the bullet and it fired the gun while everything was locked down. Kimber would not replace it. He then proceeded to tell me how wonderful it was and how a glock owner had shot himself in the butt carrying a unholstered glock in his back pocket. That is a stupid comparison because the Glock trigger and safety did not fail but the safety between your ears.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've had 3 Kimbers now with zero problems. No disrepsect, but to be honest I'm not going to try to "talk" you into any gun, you need to go out and find what suits you best.

Good luck to you.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Before I start asking for opinions, I would like to briefly summarize my personal experience with the 1911. I love the way it looks, how it shoots, and the brilliant history it carries; however, I have had nothing but sub-par experiences with a couple of them. I purchased a Colt 1911 (1991 series) two years ago that performed like.. well.. crap. The feed ramp was polished, barrel throated, "break in" period observed and it still would FTF or FTE once every 50 rounds. To top it all off, I used wilson mags. No limp wristing either. I have a buddy that has a kimber and a para that malfunction every time he shoots it without fail, and he has also taken the necessary action to make them "reliable"

I really want to love the 1911 and own one again, but I only own firearms that are 100% reliable even in the worst circumstances (glock 5,000 rounds, beretta m9 8,000 rounds, ak47 15,000 rounds). My question is, what 1911 will go bang every time out of the box with no exceptions? Thanks for your input.

Well, keep in mind that the 1991 is NOT a 1911.

I've got two 1911s - one Colt, and one Remington Rand. 100% stock. No mods or grinding anywhere on them. Using FMJ, both have been as reliable as anything I've ever owned. The only HP ammo the Colt would cycle was Hydroshock, but with FMJ, the only failures I've had were using some 1943 surplus a while back, and the follower and/or mag spring on the Remington Rand's original magazine finally wore out this year and it failed to lock the slide back on an empty chamber.

The Colt is a low round count pistol, but the Remington Rand has had an untold number of rounds through it. I'm not sure how any piece of equipment could be more reliable. With the exception of one magazine that failed after almost 70 years, the only problems have been with ammo.

660raptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I appreciate all your responses on the topic. I admittedly used poor word choice when I stated no exceptions (obviously hyperbolic), and I am aware that guns are tools which can fail at any time for any reason. I guess I am still torn on the issue. In my opinion, the 1911 just has too many imperfections to make it consistently reliable across the board. One thing I noticed with my Colt was the gritty and burred nature of the steel slide rails which caused noticeable friction when pulling the slide back. Is this a product of Colt, or are all 1911s made this way? In stark contrast, my M9 has rails that are smooth as butter and zero friction can be felt.
    I realize even the venerable glock can have failures, but is there such a thing as (prepare for severely sacrilegious statement) a glock of the 1911 world? That is, what 1911, if any, has the reputation of functioning with unmatched reliability?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    In my opinion, the 1911 just has too many imperfections to make it consistently reliable across the board. One thing I noticed with my Colt was the gritty and burred nature of the steel slide rails which caused noticeable friction when pulling the slide back. Is this a product of Colt, or are all 1911s made this way? In stark contrast, my M9 has rails that are smooth as butter and zero friction can be felt.

Again, you had a 1991, which is NOT a 1911. I don't have much experience with the 1991, but I hope it's better than the Series 80 abomination they put out.

Do you have any experience with a REAL 1911A1 (and not one of the modern "improvements?")? Until you do, you should withhold judgment on the platform.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think people are hung up on the 1911 because it indicates a loyalty to the American Spirit. My thoughts are it is not a reliable weapon. It was reliable for its time but you dont want to be nostalgic in a gunfight. I would get a Glock. Yeah, they may be non-sexy(i think they are cool), but they are 100% reliability. Just above accuracy, reliability is what you want in a handgun. All your fine motor skills shut down when your life is at risk. You need something reliable, accurate, simple, and ergonomic. This adds up to a Glock. New Technology that can take a beating and never miss a beat. They are the best and I would stack them up to my Grandfather's 1911 anyday of the weak. Yes, I would want one but if I could carry only one gun it would be a Glock.

Glocks (or any machine) are NOT "100% reliability..." This is jiust as big a myth as "1911's are unreliable..." I hope you don't make your living as a statestician :).

I've owned several platforms (Glock, S&W, Kahr, Kel-Tec, Kimber, etc...) and I'll ALWAYS give the plain, unvarnished truth about my ezperiences with ANY gun I own. My infatuation du jour is my Kimber 1911 but I reported 3 stoppages in my range report the day after I got it and I'll continue to tell it like it is...

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    After watching these videos, tell us again how unreliable a 1911 can be.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEABZswQWDg]YouTube - 1911 Muck Test[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWh07MLi1dc&feature=related]YouTube - 1911 No Lube Test[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU&feature=related]YouTube - Another Limp Wrist Test[/ame]

There is no reason that a true 70's series or earlier 1911 cannot be as reliable as any other top-shelf self defense pistol. Once you start adding components as in the 1991 or other 80's series pistols, all bets are off. JMB just didn't design them that way.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"1911" is platform that MANY manufactures use. You cannot say that "1911s are unrelaible" thats the same as saying "all striker fired polymer" guns are bullet proof. It just isn't the case.

Buy a quality 1911 style gun from a reputable manufacture and it will run. I have several 1911s in my safe from a couple different mfgs, I wouldnt hesitate to grab any one of them if SHTF.

Glock is a great gun, but they are not any more/less relaible than most other quality semi-autos. In fact I personally saw 2 of them choke at a match this past weekend, didn't see even one of the many 1911s have a problem.

Top Bottom