• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    That's what I'm speaking of. Is it the potential buyer's problem, for not wanting to pay what you are asking? For not being interested in the aftermarket parts?
    My point is if you're looking for a Glock 19 that is $500 new and only want to spend $400, then why are you messaging someone that has a completely modded out 19 listed at $600 and telling them you will give them $400 because they can get a new one for $500? Yes, you can get a new stock one for $500, but this one is far from stock. Why waste both people's time?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "cheap" 1911s tweaked to run reliably are a different animal. But I understand your point. Your example is quite valid as its making a semi reliable gun reliable.

What I think this thought is more along the lines of unnecessary upgrades/taste specific upgrades. Like an AR thats had a Timney trigger upgrade, a Magpul furniture upgrade, a [insert weird optic here], a Blue Force Gear sling, a bipod, and mags with a specific follower added. If you dont like any of those upgrades, that gun is of no more value to you than a factory gun.
    And I agree 100% To that.
    So, why bother the seller to lower the price and use the excuses I listed and brother I know all to well.
    It’s because they really want that gun just not willing to pay the freight to own it.
    Now someone such as yourself has enough common sense as to read the add and just move along because as you say… the extras really mean nothing to you. And I have serious respect that mindset.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My point is if you're looking for a Glock 19 that is $500 new and only want to spend $400, then why are you messaging someone that has a completely modded out 19 listed at $600 and telling them you will give them $400 because they can get a new one for $500? Yes, you can get a new stock one for $500, but this one is far from stock. Why waste both people's time?

Did you mention in your add that you were firm in your asking price?

Last edited:

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    Did you mention you were firm in your asking price?
    We're talking about an imaginary listing, but in prior history when I've posted an item like this I will state not willing to separate items and the first message I get is always, "I can buy a new one for $500". That's just how people are. I'm guessing there are a lot of people who put $0 into their guns after they buy them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We're talking about an imaginary listing, but in prior history when I've posted an item like this I will state not willing to separate items and the first message I get is always, "I can buy a new one for $500". That's just how people are. I'm guessing there are a lot of people who put $0 into their guns after they buy them.
    No and yes but they really want what you have. Just too cheap go pay the freight to buy yours.
    Just laugh and respond that they need to go buy the new one then And leave you alone. Thats my standard reply.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No and yes but they really want what you have. Just too cheap go pay the freight to buy yours.
    Just laugh and respond that they need to go buy the new one then And leave you alone. Thats my standard reply.
    Being that sales is my profession, I have, more than a few times, let a customer know that should buy X item if the price they told me was accurate. It's not like I won't eat if I don't make every sale. I can't fault a person for getting what they want/need at a lower price. I do that.

Just a comment, but my recommendation is to not put "price is firm" on an ad. If you are firm, so be it. If you get a lower offer, just don't accept it. Plus if they are making an offer, you are in the driver's seat. Remember, "whoever mentions price first, loses."

I don't play the game of inflating my prices over what I really want for the item so we can negotiate down but that is a psychological tactic that is used very often in the macro sense of sales. Buyer's want a "deal". No one really "saves" at Kohls.

It reminds me how in my work, our customer wants annual price reductions in the parts we sell them. Something to the tune of 3% per year for 4 years or some variation. They know we are marking up the parts the additional 12% to cover the cost downs, but they don't care. It meets the buyer's KPI of getting a better price each year. They could realize more profit over the life of the program if they took the lower price from us up front, sold it to the OEM with the 12% markup and reduced the price to the OEM each year. That might not hit the KPI for the buyer, but it would be better for the company's earnings and profits. But hey, I digress.

Top Bottom