• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You're welcome. If its who I am thinking of, I was given first dibs but couldnt take it. My garden is bordered on two sides by a fence, so I cant use a rear tine unit.

Though I just had an epiphany. I probably need to push the raised bed out 2' from the fence to give me a little walkway. Im struggling to keep the grass cut that grows in that 2"between the fence and raised bed. Cant put weed killer down because it would kill veggies, and cant reach it with a trimmer. So I either have to pull the weeds by hand or use a pair of landscaping scissors to cut it by hand UNDER the chain link. DOH! I could have used it after all! :):
    It's a Craftsman.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have successfully separated addons from the original item. Selling them separately often gives both parties more options.

I'll use Glocks for example. Folks mostly base what they are willing to pay on stock gun pricing. Your addition of aftermarket sights matters very little to a buyer that plans to put sights that they pick out on the pistol. There is also the consideration of who has done the installation.

After more than one attempt at selling Glocks as I carried them, I resolved the best move was to take them back to completely stock, then sell the sights, connectors, maritime cups, etc. separately.

I have also successfully suggested to sellers that I'd take their item (for ???,) then they could sell their components separately. Similarly, I have made offers on extras listed that raise prices on the whole add like ammo, magazines, scopes, etc.

Just sayin', it pays to be flexible, for all parties involved.

I am *very* selective at buying a modified gun at any price. Primarily because modified often equates to reduced reliability or safety and everybody thinks they know what they are doing, but yeah.

Most of the holsters people include are not holsters I would buy on my own, so I assign them no value. "You can sell it on your own if you don't want it" creates a task for me. I don't need more tasks. If it's junk tier, I'm just throwing it away.

Aftermarket mags are training mags only. Some are malfunction clearance training only. I'll pay for OEM mags, or aftermarket mags made by the same provider as made OEM or similar quality. I won't buy your ETS mags or Korean mags or whatever.

Given that I reload, factory ammo is not particularly interesting to me and I certainly won't pay current retail for it.

So, I tend to skip package 'deals' and customized guns because I can put the package together as I want it cheaper, generally speaking, and then know exactly what I have and who did what to it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have done both; sold things as a package and broken things down and sold individually. I have found that my "package deals" seem to be desirous and have usually not had any problems selling.

But I tend to put together well thought out packages, I don't skimp on quality and I realize that selling it that way, I will take a loss in order to move it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    "Well it might be that price if you can find one but they are going for this amount on Gunbroker and that is what I am going to get."
    -Snip-
    People can ask any price, but the market will decide what's reasonable.
    Gunbroker COMPLETED sales can give one a starting point to base REDUCING the asking price a certain percentage on.
    But I've found even Gunbroker COMPLETED sales average a bit too high.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People can ask any price, but the market will decide what's reasonable.
    Gunbroker COMPLETED sales can give one a starting point to base REDUCING the asking price a certain percentage on.
    But I've found even Gunbroker COMPLETED sales average a bit too high.

Nearly nationwide exposure results in more potential demand but the same supply, so prices *tend* to be a fuzz higher. If you're willing to wait for the oddball, sometimes you can get a deal. But it's sifting a lot of hay for a needle.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I am *very* selective at buying a modified gun at any price. Primarily because modified often equates to reduced reliability or safety and everybody thinks they know what they are doing, but yeah.

Most of the holsters people include are not holsters I would buy on my own, so I assign them no value. "You can sell it on your own if you don't want it" creates a task for me. I don't need more tasks. If it's junk tier, I'm just throwing it away.

Aftermarket mags are training mags only. Some are malfunction clearance training only. I'll pay for OEM mags, or aftermarket mags made by the same provider as made OEM or similar quality. I won't buy your ETS mags or Korean mags or whatever.

Given that I reload, factory ammo is not particularly interesting to me and I certainly won't pay current retail for it.

So, I tend to skip package 'deals' and customized guns because I can put the package together as I want it cheaper, generally speaking, and then know exactly what I have and who did what to it.
    On the other hand, I love buying used precision/hunting rifles. Guys tend to pour lots of time and effort into creating a precision “setup,” and often the value of the whole is considerable less than the parts.

It is fairly easy to determine quality and legitimacy in precision rifles too. Anyone that gives a hoot about their rifle will have heaps of target photos and data to accompany it, and generally it will be legitimate gunsmiths that made any modifications. “Action bedded by ___” or the like can go a long way.

I’ve stumbled into some really excellent rifles that way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It is fairly easy to determine quality and legitimacy in precision rifles too. Anyone that gives a hoot about their rifle will have heaps of target photos and data to accompany it, and generally it will be legitimate gunsmiths that made any modifications. “Action bedded by ___” or the like can go a long way.

Wut, you mean the picture with the seller holding the rifle out at arm's length isn't good enough? Who needs to see the muzzle or buttstock anyway?
    :dunno:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    You're welcome. If its who I am thinking of, I was given first dibs but couldnt take it. My garden is bordered on two sides by a fence, so I cant use a rear tine unit.

Though I just had an epiphany. I probably need to push the raised bed out 2' from the fence to give me a little walkway. Im struggling to keep the grass cut that grows in that 2"between the fence and raised bed. Cant put weed killer down because it would kill veggies, and cant reach it with a trimmer. So I either have to pull the weeds by hand or use a pair of landscaping scissors to cut it by hand UNDER the chain link. DOH! I could have used it after all! :):
    I originally read the post you were replying to as “rottweiler” instead of “rototiller”. I read nearly your entire response before I figured it out LOL

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    That's understood.

Please take no offense, but if you don't mind I'll add some constructive criticism?

When you say that people want something for nothing in relation to your classified add that isn't selling, does it say more about the viewers of the add or the seller?

Again, this isn't personal, just making an observation.

I've had plenty of things not sell at prices I would take for them. That doesn't mean I would make blanket statements about how it is the fault of the buyers, for not accommodating my pricing.

Aside from when demand dictates a seller's market, we are all selling used items. If folks wanted to pay new prices, why would they go to the trouble of meeting and paying you or me, when they could just go buy it retail?
    I technically haven't tried to sell a gun for more than new. If a base Glock is $500 and your put $300 worth of parts on it, then the new price is $800. I'll offer it for $600 and people still say I can get it new for $500. Everyone knows the scenario. I realize there's a limited market for upgraded guns, but I've never sold anything for less than I wanted.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I technically haven't tried to sell a gun for more than new. If a base Glock is $500 and your put $300 worth of parts on it, then the new price is $800. I'll offer it for $600 and people still say I can get it new for $500. Everyone knows the scenario. I realize there's a limited market for upgraded guns, but I've never sold anything for less than I wanted.

That's what I'm speaking of. Is it the potential buyer's problem, for not wanting to pay what you are asking? For not being interested in the aftermarket parts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's what I'm speaking of. Is it the potential buyer's problem, for not wanting to pay what you are asking? For not being interested in the aftermarket parts?
    This. Thats the rub on upgrades. The seller assumes that everyone else in the world has their exact tastes, and is willing to pay for a gun you upgraded.

Its like assuming somebody is willing to eat your special ice cream sundae with nuts, brown sugar, caramel, hot fudge, and dried parsley sprinkles. The likelihood they want exactly what you want is probably closer to getting struck by lightning. Or at least larger than the pool of folks here.

You'll have better luck finding somebody willing to buy your frankenpistol on a national site.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This. Thats the rub on upgrades. The seller assumes that everyone else in the world has their exact tastes, and is willing to pay for a gun you upgraded.

Its like assuming somebody is willing to eat your special ice cream sundae with nuts, brown sugar, caramel, hot fudge, and dried parsley sprinkles. The likelihood they want exactly what you want is probably closer to getting struck by lightning. Or at least larger than the pool of folks here.

You'll have better luck finding somebody willing to buy your frankenpistol on a national site.
    Never considered my guns as Frankenguns although others may.
    What I found was folks don't want to pony up for the extras, but they want my gun and will beat on you about your gun trying to get the price down as seriously....."It only a Springer" after all to which I say bite me and go buy the stock Springer that's 4 posts down from mine.
    If you are not interested in the extras leave me alone OK.....:p
    It's the money after all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never considered my guns as Frankenguns although others may.
    What I found was folks don't want to pony up for the extras, but they want my gun and will beat on you about your gun trying to get the price down as seriously....."It only a Springer" after all to which I say bite me and go buy the stock Springer that's 4 posts down from mine.
    If you are not interested in the extras leave me alone OK.....:p
    It's the money after all.
    "cheap" 1911s tweaked to run reliably are a different animal. But I understand your point. Your example is quite valid as its making a semi reliable gun reliable.

What I think this thought is more along the lines of unnecessary upgrades/taste specific upgrades. Like an AR thats had a Timney trigger upgrade, a Magpul furniture upgrade, a [insert weird optic here], a Blue Force Gear sling, a bipod, and mags with a specific follower added. If you dont like any of those upgrades, that gun is of no more value to you than a factory gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    "cheap" 1911s tweaked to run reliably are a different animal. But I understand your point. Your example is quite valid as its making a semi reliable gun reliable.

What I think this thought is more along the lines of unnecessary upgrades/taste specific upgrades. Like an AR thats had a Timney trigger upgrade, a Magpul furniture upgrade, a [insert weird optic here], a Blue Force Gear sling, a bipod, and mags with a specific follower added. If you dont like any of those upgrades, that gun is of no more value to you than a factory gun.

For those not aware, there is a whole section in the classifieds called Parts and Accessories. I don't know about others, but I personally have bought and sold a lot from this section.

Geissele, Magpul, LaRue, Vortex, etc, etc. Personally, I'd much rather have someone else wear the new off of premium accessories and get a noticeably better buy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, they know. They either dont want the hassle of parting it out, or think that everyone else in the world has the EXACT same tastes they do and will value the upgrades at full market value.

Sadly, most dont see past the tip of their nose and think "This is what I paid for it, so therefore that is what it is worth. "

Just because YOU liked those green and orange high top sneakers well enough to pay $120 for them, doesnt mean everyone else is going to think those sneakers are worth that when they go to buy some slightly used shoes.

Top Bottom