• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had that happen a few times. Frustrating to say the least.
    Here is our thing.
    WE no longer allow posts/idle chatter in the ads as that clutters up the new posts list unfairly bumping to the top. 24 hour cycle at the top of that page is fair. If you get a full PM box let the staff know. If it does not get rectified in a day or so we will pull the ad as it is not being serviced and prevents members from contacting unless the post it in the ad.

WE try and be as fair as possible but....
    -Post pics full size please and do it on your own. It adds work to possible buyers to open those pics. It is way too easy with this new format.

-Clean out your PM box as most only have 50 PMs available unless you pony up for the 500 perks as a site supporter.

-Complete the ad inside the rules. Again, it's too easy now so not doing it is just sheer lazy.

Last edited:

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I agree with most of the comments. I have private messaged some people to let them know usually because I’m interested but would still like a decent deal. A lot of classifieds say a price OBO. I’m just justifying my best offer. But I’m slowly getting on board with the premium for being able to purchase a firearm legally person to person.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    When I list a used gun for more than new it's because I've invested a good amount of money in extras. The extras were not free to me, so they won't be free to the buyer. I've gotten many of messages over the years with "I can buy it new for $100 less". Yes, you can, but without the $100 sights, $150 trigger, and 3 extra mags, ECT. Then you will get the buyers that say they don't need all the extras. To that I say don't look at one that has all the extras is that's not what you want.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I list a used gun for more than new it's because I've invested a good amount of money in extras. The extras were not free to me, so they won't be free to the buyer. I've gotten many of messages over the years with "I can buy it new for $100 less". Yes, you can, but without the $100 sights, $150 trigger, and 3 extra mags, ECT. Then you will get the buyers that say they don't need all the extras. To that I say don't look at one that has all the extras is that's not what you want.

I have successfully separated addons from the original item. Selling them separately often gives both parties more options.

I'll use Glocks for example. Folks mostly base what they are willing to pay on stock gun pricing. Your addition of aftermarket sights matters very little to a buyer that plans to put sights that they pick out on the pistol. There is also the consideration of who has done the installation.

After more than one attempt at selling Glocks as I carried them, I resolved the best move was to take them back to completely stock, then sell the sights, connectors, maritime cups, etc. separately.

I have also successfully suggested to sellers that I'd take their item (for ???,) then they could sell their components separately. Similarly, I have made offers on extras listed that raise prices on the whole add like ammo, magazines, scopes, etc.

Just sayin', it pays to be flexible, for all parties involved.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Sometimes I have bought a "package" then removed the extras I didn't want and sold them myself.
    It puts me into the gun a little cheaper.
    And like bwframe does, I usually take my stuff back to stock, and use the extras on different guns or sell them separately.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I have successfully separated addons from the original item. Selling them separately often gives both parties more options.

I'll use Glocks for example. Folks mostly base what they are willing to pay on stock gun pricing. Your addition of aftermarket sights matters very little to a buyer that plans to put sights that they pick out on the pistol. There is also the consideration of who has done the installation.

After more than one attempt at selling Glocks as I carried them, I resolved the best move was to take them back to completely stock, then sell the sights, connectors, maritime cups, etc. separately.

I have also successfully suggested to sellers that I'd take their item (for ???,) then they could sell their components separately. Similarly, I have made offers on extras listed that raise prices on the whole add like ammo, magazines, scopes, etc.

Just sayin', it pays to be flexible, for all parties involved.
    There have been times I've separated items as well. If I'm not willing to sell separate I'll usually put "not willing to separate". People still want something for nothing though. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the haggle, but when someone offers you 40% below your asking price they already know what the answer is going to be.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There have been times I've separated items as well. If I'm not willing to sell separate I'll usually put "not willing to separate". People still want something for nothing though. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the haggle, but when someone offers you 40% below your asking price they already know what the answer is going to be.
    The problem with customized guns, like customized cars, is that you have to find someone that likes exactly the same things you do and are willing to pay the premium for them. That's why customized cars are a labor of love and not something to get rich off of, or even get one's money out of. :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's why customized cars are a labor of love and not something to get rich off of, or even get one's money out of. :twocents:
    And this is why the conservative side of me won't buy an old square body or hot rod. As much fun as it would be to work on it and make it "mine" I just can't bear the loss of money by such an endeavor.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like the new guy (Site Supporter) with 2 posts who just posted a WTB ad… wanting ammo, but not wanting to pay current prices. That’s classy.
    Or another newbie Site Supporter that was posting the same ad in the regular Long Guns forum (not classifieds), and then posted it 2 times in the Long Guns (classified) forum too. :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like the new guy (Site Supporter) with 2 posts who just posted a WTB ad… wanting ammo, but not wanting to pay current prices. That’s classy.
    I actually chuckled at that one. NONE of us want to pay those prices, ya jackwagon!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honestly I rarely look at the wtb ads. Had one I responded to and it was not a good experience, and deal didn't happen. Lots of folks seem to put in wtb ads not really wanting to buy at a reasonable price.

Most of my experiences buying from an actual ad or selling from my own ad have been very good.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Honestly I rarely look at the wtb ads. Had one I responded to and it was not a good experience, and deal didn't happen. Lots of folks seem to put in wtb ads not really wanting to buy at a reasonable price.

Most of my experiences buying from an actual ad or selling from my own ad have been very good.
    I don't either for the most part. But I did post a WTB rototiller and a really nice guy on here contacted me and had exactly what I was looking for. He was happy, I am happy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't either for the most part. But I did post a WTB rototiller and a really nice guy on here contacted me and had exactly what I was looking for. He was happy, I am happy.
    You're welcome. If its who I am thinking of, I was given first dibs but couldnt take it. My garden is bordered on two sides by a fence, so I cant use a rear tine unit.

Though I just had an epiphany. I probably need to push the raised bed out 2' from the fence to give me a little walkway. Im struggling to keep the grass cut that grows in that 2"between the fence and raised bed. Cant put weed killer down because it would kill veggies, and cant reach it with a trimmer. So I either have to pull the weeds by hand or use a pair of landscaping scissors to cut it by hand UNDER the chain link. DOH! I could have used it after all! :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

That's understood.

Please take no offense, but if you don't mind I'll add some constructive criticism?

When you say that people want something for nothing in relation to your classified add that isn't selling, does it say more about the viewers of the add or the seller?

Again, this isn't personal, just making an observation.

I've had plenty of things not sell at prices I would take for them. That doesn't mean I would make blanket statements about how it is the fault of the buyers, for not accommodating my pricing.

Aside from when demand dictates a seller's market, we are all selling used items. If folks wanted to pay new prices, why would they go to the trouble of meeting and paying you or me, when they could just go buy it retail?

Top Bottom