• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I've been kicking around the idea of switching over my house to all LED bulbs. I know you can get them just about anywhere, but I was wondering if you are better off buying them online in bulk or somewhere like menards. I've already talked to my CO-OP and they don't have any rebates or offers currently offered for LED bulbs. Are all brands pretty much the same or is it worth it in the long run to spend the money on say Panasonic vs some generic brand.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I bought mine at Lowes when they had a sale. Keep in mind that there are different light colors. I would buy one of each and test them out.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i was at walmart a few months ago. they had a 4 pack of 60 watt equivalent for less than $2. aep was paying for some of the cost, we got 6 boxes. they are being changed out as the others go bad. i like led better than compact florescent.

a friend [business owner with 1 employee] got t5 8foot led direct wire from 110 v to 240 v, for cheep on ebay, so far he likes them,

30 Pack 18W UL 4Ft Cool White 6000K LED T8 T10 Fluorescent Tube Light bulb G13 | eBay

20x Plastic Fluorescent Light Socket Bulb Holder for T8 LED Bracket Lamp | eBay

heres the ones i plan to get. going to get the bases and just screw to a 2x4 and use one light, going to do 4 or 5 in the garage, they are super bright, love them,

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Costco had some recently with a IPL instant subsidy.
    Keep your eyes open for that!! It was great.

Ive also used 1000bulbs.com

Make a small order of sample bulbs to see what you like and to get on their e-mailing list. They run weekly and daily specials.
    If you're buying a lot, it will save you.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    60 watt equivalents quite common and dropping rapidly in price. I've bought 2-packs for under $5 when on sale (Lowes).

75 watt equivalent best I've seen is twice as expensive and price dropping more slowly. 100 watt equivalent more of a specialty market than commodity pricing

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just today I installed a new LED motion security light on the back of the house. I can't wait for it to get dark so that I can check it out at its full potential.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have had really bad luck with the Feit brand(usually what Costco has for cheap). I have been buying EcoSmart from Home Depot. They seem to be reasonably priced and I haven't had one go bad yet(started converting about a year ago)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Most LED' bulbs are base firing which makes them semi-directional. That's fine for ceiling lights, but sucks for luminaries and lamps.

For lamps, the best LED bulb by FAR was Best Buy's Insignia "cross-firing" bulb. The LED's are mounted on each of the three metal heat sinks along the side of the bulb and shine out the other side creating a real close replica to a normal tungsten bulb.

Unfortunately they are no longer sold, but check Ebay regularly, or look for some equivalent design in stores

Insignia-LED-Light-Bulbs.jpg

Insignia-bulb_first-open.jpg

Last edited:

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have a mixture of Phillips and Cree.
    I picked up 12 Cree 60w equivalent on close out at Home Depot this past December for $2.16 a bulb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We picked up ours at Menards. Most of the house has been up-graded.
    The light they provide is different than the goofy spiral Bravo Sierra ones they are replacing.
    Near zero emitted heat.
    We like them so far.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Don't replace them all. I did 3/4 of mine so I can use up all the other bulbs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd have to run the numbers but my gut feeling is you'll never get the "payback" by converting a working incandescent bulb for an LED. If it's burned out and you're going to have to replace it anyway, sure. Or if it's a bulb you have on for many hours a day anyway, maybe. But to go around your house and swap out bulbs pre-emptively, my gut feel is there's no business case for that.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    the fixtures i have are junk, have to play with the bulbs on one of them to get to work, the other 2 quit. im not getting them for savings but for the light out put, i dont have a heated garage so they are slow to start and weak light till warm. i got a led 4 ft light from rural king and really like it. we can use some of them around the farm as we dont have enough lights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd have to run the numbers but my gut feeling is you'll never get the "payback" by converting a working incandescent bulb for an LED. If it's burned out and you're going to have to replace it anyway, sure. Or if it's a bulb you have on for many hours a day anyway, maybe. But to go around your house and swap out bulbs pre-emptively, my gut feel is there's no business case for that.

We had switched up to the spiral bulb POS a few years ago. We were done with them.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My Grandkids and Daughter moved in with us in June of last year. It was a constant battle with getting them to turn lights off. I went through and replaced all of the bulbs in the house with LED bulbs when Menards had them on sale and 11% rebate. The cost was under $2 each.

It isn't as much about instant savings as it is about me not having to yell "Turn off the cotton picking lights, money doesnt grow on trees". Oh crap I've turned into my father.

Another benefit is being able to run my whole house off the generator when the grid power goes down. Gas range, furnace, water heater and fireplace means the 5500 watt genny does just fine to run water pump, furnace, fridge, freezer, TV's and lights.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We had switched up to the spiral bulb POS a few years ago. We were done with them.

Those things were a rip off. We started replacing our incandescents with them as they went bad. Besides the slow startups (in the recessed fixtures) the short lifespans doomed them in our house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those things were a rip off. We started replacing our incandescents with them as they went bad. Besides the slow startups (in the recessed fixtures) the short lifespans doomed them in our house.

Same here. Dim on and a full minute to full lumens. Then they started failing. So much for the long life thing.
    Complain about them and they tell you that you are most likely cycling them to much and the energy savings came when they are left on. Seriously.

Top Bottom