• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    $500,000. Wonder if she'll go after the cops?
    Article says the release covered all other parties. Settlement was paid by the university (hospital owner) and the city. I wonder what the negligence split was. I have to think the city got tagged with the bulk of it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I wonder if the new policy is "Don't use forceful arrest as an investigative technique".......or maybe "Be careful when using forceful arrest as an investigative technique".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused as to why the hospital is coughing up coin? Maybe because the security guard did nothing?

2574962.png

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As noted above:

The settlement covers all possible defendants in a lawsuit, including individual police officers, university police and hospital security guards. The payout will be divided among the city and the University of Utah.

I would surmise that at the time of the incident, the University was employing the police officers or some sort of situation like that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait a minute, going back and looking, it's a misleading headline. The nurse settled with all parties, not just the hospital, or the university. Who is paying what portion of the settlement is not revealed. For all we know, the city (police department) paid the lion's share.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is a group of lawyers a herd or a murder?

Yeah, I think it's a "practice of lawyers".

If you'll wait till I get home I have a book, "An Exaltation of Larks" that list a plethora of grouping like this.

EDIT: On further research, it's "an eloquence of lawyers". :n00b:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wait a minute, going back and looking, it's a misleading headline. The nurse settled with all parties, not just the hospital, or the university. Who is paying what portion of the settlement is not revealed. For all we know, the city (police department) paid the lion's share.

So will the city's liability insurance pay for that, or since the guy was deemed to be out of line, does the city (i.e. tax payers) have to foot the bill directly?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    As noted above:

I would surmise that at the time of the incident, the University was employing the police officers or some sort of situation like that.

Bodycams in use in patient care areas sure screams of HIPPA violations to me. That fine is likely much bigger than $500k when aggregated

Top Bottom