• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I will disarm someone on a case by case basis, normally I will ask where the firearm is located and if it is on their person I will just have them keep their hands on the wheel. If the gun is located in the vehicle such as a glove box or center console I will ask them to exit the vehicle or to come sit in my front seat. Honestly though if I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable I will take possession of the firearm until the stop is complete, then I will have them pop their trunk and place the firearm in the trunk and close it completely taking it out of play. I understand that many will feel that this is the wrong action to take but I would rather error on the side of caution.

What would you do if they refuse to open their trunk (WELL within their rights)?

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Only run in I had with leo was pretty good, and it was a State Trooper. I specify State Trooper because back when I was a city cop we had this joke about State boys. It went something like "so you want to be a state trooper huh? do you want us to go ahead and shove a 2x4 up your @ss now or would you rather wait for them to do it at the academy?" Very funny.

Anyway.

I was driving down the road when I ran over what seemed to be a cooler lid. It stuck under my rear bumper and was dragging along. No where to pull over as there was construction cones blocking the sides of the road. Didn't want to pull over in the construction area so I'm looking for some kind of open spot.

Noticed a State Trooper behind me and I think, surely he is going to pull me over as I have this thing dragging along under my car making all sorts of racket (and I'm sure he can see it).

Of course he does. Which I am actually grateful. He comes up to the window and asks if I know why he pulled me over. So I says "yup, I think I have a cooler lid stuck under my bumper - been looking for a place to pull over".

He says "yup - can I have your license and registration".

I say no problem, hand em over and ask if it's ok if I try to get the lid out from under the car.

He says sure.

So I go back there and kneel down to get it out and when I do the butt of my gun sticks out of my shirt.

He asks me "So... you got a permit for that?"

I laugh and say, "yep, would you like to see it?"

He says "nah, that's alright." - Now this was probably due to several reasons.

One I was pretty calm, I am an ex-cop and was used to dealing with police , not to mention I knew I wasn't guilty of anything so I wasn't nervous, and I am thinking he figured I wouldn't offer to let him see it if I didn't have one.

Two we chatted a bit while he was running my OL and he asked me what I did for a living (I currently hold an active PI license and at the time I also held a bail recovery license) though I can't say if he noticed the gun before or after this part of the conversation. I am assuming before as that dang lid was stuck pretty good and I was wrestling with it. Keep in mind I obviously would have no problem with handing him my ltch if he wanted to see it (it is the law after all).

I got the cooler lid out and threw it in my trunk (didn't want to litter lol) and he gave me back my OL and Registration and gave me a variation of the standard "drive safe and take care" good bye's and we both went on our way.

I must say I was impressed that he didn't go bat**** crazy when he saw the pistol and then try to felony stop me lol. Then again he was an older officer (I am in my late 30s, he was probably in his late 40s early 50s) so maybe that's why he wasn't so jumpy. He also had an air of confidence about him and didn't come off like an @ss. Very professional.

Now I must say that he was always in a position where if I had decided to get froggy he could have easily drawn his weapon and had the "drop" on me, which was about 45 degrees and several feet behind me to my left for all but the moment I was walking to the back of my vehicle - though at no time was his back to me.

In short he was able to minimize his risk without turning into Judge Dredd.

Top Bottom