• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe that a person's compassion for or treatment of an animal is a good litmus test for the character of a person. I loathe this kind of display of a lack of mercy and apparent lack of good judgement. He is a monster who definitely should not be in a position of authority.

“If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.”
    Francis of Assisi

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The dog bit somebody, it was probably going to be put down anyway. What difference does it make if the throat was slit or if a vet put it down? Don't you kill chickens by cutting their heads off? Oh, but that's ok because chickens aren't cute.

Don't get my wrong, I have a 7 year old lab who sleeps at the foot of my bed that I love dearly, but at the end of the day he's a dog, not a person.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    The dog bit somebody, it was probably going to be put down anyway. What difference does it make if the throat was slit or if a vet put it down? Don't you kill chickens by cutting their heads off? Oh, but that's ok because chickens aren't cute.

Don't get my wrong, I have a 7 year old lab who sleeps at the foot of my bed that I love dearly, but at the end of the day he's a dog, not a person.

?........Should prolly toss'a idea'r 'round of re-home'n the dog, then.........:twocents:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not that I am ok with what he did, but had he shot the dog i wouldn't be as outraged as I am. Using a knife and cutting it's throat...that's so much more personal.
    I think it says a lot about the cop.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe he used a knife because it seemed safer than firing a gun if it was in a residential area, but I can't see any reason to kill the dog at this point since it was under control on a catch pole. It's not like it's running around actively attacking anyone. It would appear this guy has some anger issues.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

This would work equally well to justify police executing a restrained murder suspect in lieu of taking him into custody for trial--after all, he would/should probably get the chair anyway. Without taking a hard left and assigning humanesque value to the life of an animal, the animal was someone's property and was destroyed without due process.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe he used a knife because it seemed safer than firing a gun if it was in a residential area, but I can't see any reason to kill the dog at this point since it was under control on a catch pole. It's not like it's running around actively attacking anyone. It would appear this guy has some anger issues.

The safer thing to do was leave it on the catch pole.

To address a few "hypocrisy" posts:

I slaughtered farm animals and hunted as a youth through present day. Animals are not people. However our culture has assigned special protections to certain animals, such as dogs, because they are "pets" and not "food" in the eyes of the majority of us. Slaughtering a dog will not result in the same reaction from most people than slaughtering a goat (PETA weirdos aside). Using a knife is NEVER viewed the same as using a gun by society at large, regardless of context. This is a point well worth remembering for those who carry edged weapons. While legally a shoot = a stab, in people's gut reactions and public opinion both, a stabbing is viewed much more harshly.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

I slaughtered farm animals and hunted as a youth through present day. Animals are not people. However our culture has assigned special protections to certain animals, such as dogs, because they are "pets" and not "food" in the eyes of the majority of us. Slaughtering a dog will not result in the same reaction from most people than slaughtering a goat (PETA weirdos aside). Using a knife is NEVER viewed the same as using a gun by society at large, regardless of context. This is a point well worth remembering for those who carry edged weapons. While legally a shoot = a stab, in people's gut reactions and public opinion both, a stabbing is viewed much more harshly.

You eat dogs often? Comparing a persons' pet (dog) to farm animals and game animals is utterly ridiculous. But nice try at defending the "blues" psychopathic fk up. ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You eat dogs often? Comparing a persons' pet (dog) to farm animals and game animals is utterly ridiculous. But nice try at defending the "blues" psychopathic fk up. ;)

You may want to read my post again. Take note of the 3rd and 4th sentence.

Probably want to go ahead and read my first post again as well (#20)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Question... What is the penalty for someone that would kill a police dog? Not trying to start anything, but would it be treated just the same as killing someone's pet, or are the police animals considered to be law enforcement "officers"?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I do not condone unnecessary cruelty to animal under any circumstances. However, given the brief nature of this article, I am willing to accept that there may be more facts that we are yet not aware of. I am also very much in favor of the idea that when it comes to protecting human safety, the actions towards an animal are subject to a much different standard that those same actions towards a person. If the animal was truly no longer a threat to anyone, than this person is certainly worthy of disdain. However, this article does not guarantee to my satisfaction that this was in fact the case. :twocents:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Question... What is the penalty for someone that would kill a police dog? Not trying to start anything, but would it be treated just the same as killing someone's pet, or are the police animals considered to be law enforcement "officers"?

Sadly........NO.......but ought'r be.......
    Standoff in Sellersburg ends, suspect in custody - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

If........I was Judge 'n Jury........they'd face same punishment........as would fer kill'n a 2-leg'd LEO........:xmad:

I dunno why'da hell...... they sent 'at dog in'ere.......ALONE.......:(

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom