• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My wife has to do Zoom meetings for work a lot now that she’s working from home. She always disables the video...might be a wise idea after all.

I can only speak to my sons and how our school system is handling the zoom meetings but the child is not allowed to disable the video. So that the teacher is aware the child is attending the class via zoom by seeing the child's face.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Really? I don't really have any frame of reference, but it seems to work well for us (DoD). :dunno:
    Yeah really. It's been replaced by a mildly better IMO Microsoft Teams.

My personal favorite is Webex. I've used all of the big ones, and it has been the best all around conferencing app.

I never use my video. I don't understand the desire. The only time it is useful is to see when someone is talking while they have themselves muted.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

All the current zoom issues.
    And that does not cover the china aspect.
    DoD has blocked zoom for all mil users and it was discovered china has hacked zoom to listen in. Smh[/QUOTE

China hasn't "hacked" zoom to listen, IMO the code was built in from day 1! Zoom was created by a Chinese who quit webex and brought a team of 40 other Chinese programmers after webex was purchased by Cisco.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/zoom-ceo-eric-yuan-worth-3-billion-after-ipo-profile.html

--Rick

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife has to do Zoom meetings for work a lot now that she’s working from home. She always disables the video...might be a wise idea after all.

Yep, I do not enable video on our meeting/calling solution. At the beginning of the Covid WFH there was push by many in our company to enable video etc. I disregarded it then, and still do. Most have since come off of that request and realize that for myriad of reasons pushing people to enable video was a bad idea. Someone wants to do it, they can but the "active encouragement" as it was called to do so, as fallen off, for several reasons, which is good.

I can only speak to my sons and how our school system is handling the zoom meetings but the child is not allowed to disable the video. So that the teacher is aware the child is attending the class via zoom by seeing the child's face.

Seems intrusive and I'd think it would be interesting if someone pushed back to see how that got handled by the school. I can't imagine that the school would come out on top of that argument on a real push back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What happens in that case?
    Police is knocking on the door due to complaint called of child with gun. I know that police officer has to knock on the door and try and investigate. But if you dont open the door, remain quiet what does police do? Leave??

Based solely on the information in the article? Leave. Maybe come back later and try to make contact again. Or at least that's what we'd do. No report anybody is injured, etc.

The officers should be going after the caller for "false report".

I'd want to see the toy gun before making that call. A caller can be mistaken in good faith and not be false reporting. Of course the article uses a stock photo of the most ridiculous toy gun they can find because that's the agenda of the reporting.

As far as the "lecture" I've seen what some rather sensitive folks consider a lecture by the police ("A grown man should know how to order a tow truck" resulted in a complaint of sexism and belittlement recently) so I'll hold off on judgement on that little bit of extra drama as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah really. It's been replaced by a mildly better IMO Microsoft Teams.

My personal favorite is Webex. I've used all of the big ones, and it has been the best all around conferencing app.

I never use my video. I don't understand the desire. The only time it is useful is to see when someone is talking while they have themselves muted.

Fair enough. DoD isn't known for having the "latest and greatest" for sure.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Based solely on the information in the article? Leave. Maybe come back later and try to make contact again. Or at least that's what we'd do. No report anybody is injured, etc.

I'd want to see the toy gun before making that call. A caller can be mistaken in good faith and not be false reporting. Of course the article uses a stock photo of the most ridiculous toy gun they can find because that's the agenda of the reporting.

As far as the "lecture" I've seen what some rather sensitive folks consider a lecture by the police ("A grown man should know how to order a tow truck" resulted in a complaint of sexism and belittlement recently) so I'll hold off on judgement on that little bit of extra drama as well.

Maybe I'm just a cynical old man, but I would actually want to see a report or some documentation before I flip the outrage switch. Not saying it didn't happen...trust but verify.

As for not opening the door, do what you want, but would have talked to the officer.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've been using the virtual backgrounds for Zoom since I've been WFH. No need for anyone to see the inside of my home.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Maybe I'm just a cynical old man, but I would actually want to see a report or some documentation before I flip the outrage switch. Not saying it didn't happen...trust but verify.

As for not opening the door, do what you want, but would have talked to the officer.

What report, one written by the Officers? Anything short of 'This is what the call was about...a toy gun? Sorry, have a nice day', was unnecessary.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    An NRA article referencing a radio interview...so 2nd hand.

There is enough in that interview that it gives me pause. That's all.

Top Bottom