• ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It linked to the talk show article
    https://www.toddstarnes.com/crime/m...-to-be-arrested-toy-gun-causes-chaos-on-zoom/
    “The police officer came to our door right after breakfast and asked us to step outside of our home as a result of the zoom call,” she told me.

Mrs. Smith’s husband tried to explain to the officer that there were no guns in the house – other than the toy gun that their son had received.

“He essentially lectured us on child safety and the fact that our children are too young to interact with any guns and weapons,” she said.

The officer said it did not matter that it was a toy gun and he continued to lecture the couple.

“I said, this is a toy. No one is unsafe in our home. Everyone is safe and well and healthy,” she said. “They took it very seriously as if there was some sort of chance we had weapons in the home.”
    Whether the lady's perception was reality or not is another question.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

All the current zoom issues.
    And that does not cover the china aspect.
    DoD has blocked zoom for all mil users and it was discovered china has hacked zoom to listen in. Smh
    If your videoconference needs mil level secrecy you would not be using a free platform. In addition, anyone expecting a free product to have a lot of privacy is foolish. I will still maintain that Zoom is no worse than other free videoconference services. Zoom simply happens to be the most popular.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This whole episode is look into the type of minds that back gun confiscation. They are scared out of their wits by a toy and get the brown squishy between the butt cheeks when a real gun is present even if on a cop...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Based solely on the information in the article? Leave. Maybe come back later and try to make contact again. Or at least that's what we'd do. No report anybody is injured, etc.

I'd want to see the toy gun before making that call. A caller can be mistaken in good faith and not be false reporting. Of course the article uses a stock photo of the most ridiculous toy gun they can find because that's the agenda of the reporting.

As far as the "lecture" I've seen what some rather sensitive folks consider a lecture by the police ("A grown man should know how to order a tow truck" resulted in a complaint of sexism and belittlement recently) so I'll hold off on judgement on that little bit of extra drama as well.

I agree with all of this. One person's lecture is another person's non-issue.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Even if the toy gun in question had been a real weapon, why would it be alright for someone to call the constabulary on a person in their own home with something legal to possess?

Why would it be 'alright' for the constabulary to respond to a non-crime and treat it as if it is one?

Why would you need to see the toy gun to determine if it was real or not when a real gun in the same situation is still not a crime? Or even endangerment if the child is properly trained.

Wouldn't a reasonable response be "he has my permission, thank you have a nice day"?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Apparently to that family it was an issue, after finding out it was a toy gun there should have been no 'lecturing' lol.

The kids were also apparently "terrified" by the mere presence of officers outside the home. And of course the original article the NRA links to is quick to reference 1930's Germany...so I'm sure there's no agenda there.

Even if the toy gun in question had been a real weapon, why would it be alright for someone to call the constabulary on a person in their own home with something legal to possess?

Why would it be 'alright' for the constabulary to respond to a non-crime and treat it as if it is one?

Why would you need to see the toy gun to determine if it was real or not when a real gun in the same situation is still not a crime? Or even endangerment if the child is properly trained.

Wouldn't a reasonable response be "he has my permission, thank you have a nice day"?

I don't know what PA's laws are reference unattended 7 year olds having a firearm. What are they?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The kids were also apparently "terrified" by the mere presence of officers outside the home. And of course the original article the NRA links to is quick to reference 1930's Germany...so I'm sure there's no agenda there.

That could have been the case, when police show up to your house uninvited it's not usually a good thing lol.

Top Bottom